Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim run wetsuits
Quote | Reply
Looking for recs for swim/run wetsuits. Any and all info would be great. thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim run wetsuits [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an Orca core-quite functional and works well. My last workout with my partner.

https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/1856389462

5 Runs/4 Swims-practicing with full gear-total of 7.5 miles running and 3200 yds swimming--with shoes/PB strapped to leg and carrying our nutrition; not to mention the stupid tether and new wave sight buoy with our first aid kit. VERY challenging.

The Orca is not the 'high end' model, but works much better than a cut wetsuit. The key is in the groin area allowing more freedom to run. The front zipper is also quite important. It ran tighter on me than their fit guide and I sized up from a 6 to an 8. No issues with return via amazon.

Are you doing a S/R race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have used both the Orca Core and the RS1 in many swimrun sessions and both work great. The Core is very affordable and the best option on the market IMO if you are budget conscience. The RS1 is what I used at Ă–TILLĂ– and it worked well. It's twice the cost and uses a more flexible neoprene so provides a bit better range of motion.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: Swim run wetsuits [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
I have an Orca core-quite functional and works well. My last workout with my partner.

https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/1856389462

5 Runs/4 Swims-practicing with full gear-total of 7.5 miles running and 3200 yds swimming--with shoes/PB strapped to leg and carrying our nutrition; not to mention the stupid tether and new wave sight buoy with our first aid kit. VERY challenging.

The Orca is not the 'high end' model, but works much better than a cut wetsuit. The key is in the groin area allowing more freedom to run. The front zipper is also quite important. It ran tighter on me than their fit guide and I sized up from a 6 to an 8. No issues with return via amazon.

Are you doing a S/R race?

I'd agree that the core suit runs a small. I had to size up one from their sizing guide. Also, be aware that in the middle of the size chart there is a "MT" that spans the 6 and 7 range. It even goes up into the 8 size in some aspects.

http://www.SpeedyLizard.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swim run wetsuits [marcbarton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking to pick up one of the Orca swim run wetsuits and note the comments on sizing being small. I'm wearing a Blueseventy Helix ST and it's a perfect fit. I've tried the HUUB Amphibian in S and the body is too short although no issue with chest size. I'm 5'10'' and weigh 68kg, the Orca MT looks like it should fit the bill as I'm on the lower end of all the measurements on the size chart?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Orca Core as well. (the one with Orange sleeves)
I've been very happy with it, good range of motion and I felt it was pretty comfortable to run in on our practice sessions. Sizing was pretty close for me.
I've only used the removable sleeves, like arm warmers, for one practice session but will probably skip those on race day.

Only thing I found is it's tricky getting out of it, front zip only and I've just found it tough to get it off the shoulders.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim run wetsuits [cdkayak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing the SOS which is an 8 stage race with lots of running and swimming. The running totals 18 miles. Do you think the Orca Core can handle that vollue of running? Including a 8 mile run near the end? Worried about it getting hot..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option is to have an existing suit modified. For Uto, my teammate and I found a dive shop (think it was in Texas) that did wetsuit "tailoring"/modifications and had them put front zippers in xterra suits. Probably not ideal, but worked well enough, and was only ~$50.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the Orca Core, size MT. I'm 5'11" and 164 lbs. It's snug, but seems just right. Very surprised with the front zipper and collar - no leaks whatsoever. Unzipping for the runs is easy, and easy to zip back up. It definitely is very hard to remove, but I think that's the real reason these races are done with a partner - to help you get that darn suit off! I'm a pretty strong swimmer and swimming with this suit and my shoes, Icebugs, I feel no need for buoys and paddles. Very pleased with the suit, far better than its price might have you think.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim run wetsuits [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
I'm a pretty strong swimmer and swimming with this suit and my shoes, Icebugs, I feel no need for buoys and paddles.

Which shoes are you using? What makes for good swim/run shoes?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim run wetsuits [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trexlera wrote:
HalfSpeed wrote:
I'm a pretty strong swimmer and swimming with this suit and my shoes, Icebugs, I feel no need for buoys and paddles.

Which shoes are you using? What makes for good swim/run shoes?

Icebug Acceleritas Ocr RB9X Trail RunnerThe shoes should have great traction for scrambling over wet rocks. They should drain fairly well. Some think they should drain really well, but I think draining too well may also mean they take in water too well, and any rocks & sand in the water. They shouldn't have a lot of midsole cushioning that absorbs water. These have little, way less than I'm used to, but then the surfaces I am running on should require little cushioning from the shoes. They shouldn't feel like boat anchors on your feet. There's not much to go on about that unless you try the shoes, meaning getting them wet. Returns might be tough after doing that.
This website has all sort of good info on SwimRun

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim run wetsuits [mhepp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto this---I ended up using Surf n Sea in Smithville to have a zipper added to a wetsuit. They did great work and it was not expensive.

I ended up loaning that wetsuit to a friend and did Casco bay in my Zone3. It's a great wetsuit and I still use it for OWS.

Regardless of what wetsuit you get, lube up, then lube up again, and then get serious, and lube up AGAIN. Everyone I know who did the event ended up with some serious friction burns.
Quote Reply