Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim fins - Finis Edge vs Arena
Quote | Reply
Debating between Arena and Finis Edge. I've tried the Arena's, like them, although the ones I got to try were a size too big. Can't try the Finis though.

Both are the same price, (stupidly expensive).

Anyone tried both? I want something that is going to give a little bit of power but isn't going to slow down the kick too much.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 25, 17 10:29
Quote Reply
Re: Swim fins - Finis Edge vs Arena [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Debating between Arena and Finis Edge. I've tried the Arena's, like them, although the ones I got to try were a size too big. Can't try the Finis though.

Both are the same price, (stupidly expensive).

Anyone tried both? I want something that is going to give a little bit of power but isn't going to slow down the kick too much.

I use the black arena ones in the top left of your picture. I like them because they sink and don't float your feet up to the surface. It's kind of ironic that an amateur like me is providing feedback to the swim expert, but of all the fins I have used, those Arena ones feel the most "natural". They just let your feet/legs do what you would naturally do without fins but with a bigger surface. I believe you will not go wrong with the Arena option. I cannot comment on the Finis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you'll do well with both.
I got the finis and really like them. Super comfortable and way better then the speedo ones I had - I've moved to doing a lot of my warm ups with them to take the pressure off my shoulders... I found them on Amazon and they were way cheaper then the Arena (50 Cad). However, I've used the arena's and liked them, I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Last edited by: dayvic: May 25, 17 10:37
Quote Reply
Re: Swim fins - Finis Edge vs Arena [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never really been a toys guy, and have generally avoided fins like the plague, but there are a few things I want to use them for. If they slow foot-speed too much that's a no-go.

dayvic, Arena's are a favourite at the Dalhousie club too, as well as a lot of the senior club swimmers at Hfx Trojans. I have a pair of short Speedo's, which I despise. Way too rigid...they throw tempo off too much. I know the Arena's will work, just wondering if the Finis are "better".

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Swim fins - Finis Edge vs Arena [dayvic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dayvic wrote:
I think you'll do well with both.
I got the finis and really like them. Super comfortable and way better then the Speedo ones I had - I've moved to doing a lot of my warm ups with them to take the pressure off my shoulders... I found them on Amazon and they were way cheaper then the Arena (50 Cad). However, I've used the arena's and liked them, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Do the Finis Edge fins float??? I have a pair of the blue Aquasphere Blade fins and they are very float-y which feels a bit weird b/c my feet stay too much on the surface except when swimming or kicking backstroke. Also, do think the Finis Edge fins are the "fastest fins ever" as their paid spokesman Anthony Ervin says???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swim fins - Finis Edge vs Arena [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't think they float, or less than the aquasphere's anyway. I tried those ones too, they feel unbalanced on my foot, kinda push my foot from side to side. Took them off after 50m.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch every single workout wednesday on Flo Swimming... or take my word that the Arena fin is dominant with NCAA swimmers

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Swim fins - Finis Edge vs Arena [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's where I'm leaning....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which ones did you try? That felt unbalanced?

The Alpha Fin (buoyant): The Alpha Fin Pro (buoyant and stiffer)

or the MicroFin: (stiffer but not buoyant)

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim fins - Finis Edge vs Arena [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the blue ones. They were a teammates, I think the Alpha's.

they felt like they were pushing my knees laterally. I have funky feet (really flat arches) so my experience may not be typical.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It should feel a little different from regular fins. They are designed to allow your kick to track more naturally, which a lot of fins don't do.

But that doesn't sound right. Possible you had them on upside down? Kind of kidding...

Good luck with the bigger heavy fins. I need to try some of those as well. I just don't know how a fin with at big of a surface won't slow your foot speed at least a little bit.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim fins - Finis Edge vs Arena [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had 'em on the right way. And it isn't a knock on those fins, they just don't work for me, for whatever reason. There are quite a few folks at masters who swear by the aquasphere's, so they must be OK for most people.

All fins are gonna slow the kick down a bit, I'm expecting that. Just that the Speedo's I have are, quite frankly, terrible. They feel like scuba fins.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply