Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swim death at B2B
Quote | Reply
I am not racing this year, and I'm stuck at work (Wilmington Fire Dept). I was listening to the radio traffic about the race this morning.

Heard a 60 year old male get pulled from the water.

Attempts were made to save his life but reports now say he did not make it.

First casualty of B2B. So sad to say the least.

Last edited by: Turd Ferguson: Oct 27, 14 5:33
Quote Reply
Re: Swim death at B2B [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very sad. Thoughts to his family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They made the announcement just prior to the awards. 68 yo male. Wife has flown to Wilmington and she asked that B2B read a statement from her. Don't recall the exact words but this is close....he always told her that when he goes, he wants to go doing something he loves.

Very sad!

--------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: bhc: Oct 25, 14 17:37
Quote Reply
Re: Swim death at B2B [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just went out on a call with the paramedic crew that was actually there. And they confirmed what I said earlier

None the less, a very sad situation indeed. I'll be thinking about his family tonight.

Last edited by: Turd Ferguson: Oct 27, 14 5:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RIP to another tri-brother.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the race today and didn't see anything about it during. Just read the news though, and hevwad apparently an very experienced ultrarunner. Dev's correct, too. History of cardiovascular diseas and had a stent placed last summer. And still did a bunch of other races. So sad...

--
Yes, I know it's grammatically incorrect. Blame AOL and their 90s-era character limits.
--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how it applies to first responders. But isnt looking his stuff up on the 911 system a little HIPAA violation-y?
Last edited by: npage148: Oct 26, 14 4:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very sad to hear this
Quote Reply
Re: Swim death at B2B [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
Not sure how it applies to first responders. But isnt looking his stuff up on the 911 system a little HIPAA violation-y?

A little? It's blatant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tragic.

I heard about this yesterday. Condolences to his family and friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no idea how 911 system works but would it not just be a response to an emergency? The radio traffic would not have any personal info or identifying info. I am guessing it would not even have his name just sort of a call out for the accident. Would think pretty weird to have any part of his medical record available to 1st responders.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim death at B2B [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bhc wrote:
. Don't recall the exact words but this is close....he always told her that when he goes, he wants to go doing something he loves.

This is a good quote. I commend her for looking at the positive.

Personally, I would rather die active at 68, then die sick and beaten down at 85. I hope my wife an family can understand that as much as this man's wife did.

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: Swim death at B2B [OldFart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OldFart wrote:
no idea how 911 system works but would it not just be a response to an emergency? The radio traffic would not have any personal info or identifying info. I am guessing it would not even have his name just sort of a call out for the accident. Would think pretty weird to have any part of his medical record available to 1st responders.

Reading dispatch notes implies PHI is being read (at min the guy's sex and age and more as his file is updated) and he admitted not bring involved in his care so that is a HIPAA breach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see your point. But I did not know or have access to his personal info yesterday at all. I actually didn't know his name until the press release this morning.

All I can see on the CAD system at work are the notes that the dispatcher puts in. No personal info

Also, I am sure if it was a HIPPA violation to see that info then somebody that makes ALOT more money than I do would have pulled the plug on the whole CAD system because of the violation possibilty

It's really no different than someone listening to a police scanner

But this isn't whats important.

Whats important is that someone lost their life doing this race and a family will be deeply affected

Last edited by: Turd Ferguson: Oct 26, 14 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
OldFart wrote:

Reading dispatch notes implies PHI is being read (at min the guy's sex and age and more as his file is updated) and he admitted not bring involved in his care so that is a HIPAA breach.

They give out that info over the radio at work. (age , sex, problem, etc.) So am I violating HIPPA laws by listening to the dispatch radio at work??

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That individual was in my swim wave. Water temperature was like 70F, no real waves to speak of, clear sunny day, plenty of room to avoid arms/legs/kicks and what ever. Sorry to hear bad news from an event that must of had more volunteers (2000+?) than racers.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim death at B2B [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. You guys had great weather for sure yesterday.

Just breaks my heart to think about the family and what turn for the absolute worse yesterday took for them. They came to celebrate what should be a great achievement and instead have this tragic event happen.

Must be gut wrenching to say the least

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like I said, I'm not sure what dispatch notes entail or how it applies to a first responder. So even if it is not a HIPPA issue, I still think it's in bad taste to use your position as a HCP to relay information about a drowning to a message board
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my defense we would have found out anyway.

But this thread is not about me or your views on taste.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turd never named names. He's a public sevant and first responder by trade. He's a great friend to the tri community in easten NC and he's been a great help in sharing knowledge and leading recon rides and swims and such for folks wanting to know about the B2B course/race. He deserves appreciation, not scrutiny and ridicule.

Oh, he's also a helluva great triathlete.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ummm... No, this is not a HIPPA violation. Did they say his name and SSN over the radio? No. Did the victim sign a HIPPA non-disclosure with the first responders? No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Careful dude.. you might trip with all the backpedaling your doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So a person dies in a triathlon and your reaction is to attack the OP for revealing information that was PUBLISHED in many sources yesterday...none of which was derogatory to the deceased. Only on Slowtwitch!

I admire the man for continuing to pursue sports even with his history of heart problems (PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE), while still feeling tremendous sympathy for his family.

Now, let's keep this on topic!
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Oct 26, 14 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
OldFart wrote:

I think HIPAA training failed you.

You may get another chance next time round.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thoughts go out to his family.
Quote Reply

Prev Next