Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swim at Ironman 70.3 Miami
Quote | Reply
I noticed that the swim times for most AGers were longer than normal.
In fact, there were 10-15 people in some age groups (women's) that did not make the cut off (I was one, yet I finished in 6:15)
Is there normally that many people in 70.3's that don't make the cut off? I have never come close to not finishing the swim in time.
Rules are rules and I will take my DNF, but it sucks to know that I was in the top half of my AG and didn't get scored. I guess I will spend more time in the pool than on my bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at Ironman 70.3 Miami [lrose_55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The genius organizers changed and lengthened the course this year. I have no idea why. My watch recorded 1.5 miles, and I spotted well. Most reported 1.5 to 1.6 miles. Totally fucked up. Typical Miami
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Course looks a little long, or there were currents. Fastest pro men finished in 27 minutes. Typical 70.3 swim times are 23-24 minutes. The course might have been about 15% longer.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at Ironman 70.3 Miami [TeamWheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had 1.5 on my Garmin as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How good were your lines?

I got 1.26 miles on my garmin and swam it pretty well... so yeah it was 100 yards long according to my garmin. I don't know if I buy the 1.5 miles without seeing the file.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at Ironman 70.3 Miami [TeamWheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talking with a few people.... the swim was short last year so some figured they were trying to compensate for it. I honestly think it was more of current issue than the course being long.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at Ironman 70.3 Miami [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definitely got off course a bit. The current kept taking me away from the buoys at the south end of the course. I know for me a it was combination of being a weak swimmer, strong current and no wetsuit.
It just seems like a larger than normal amount of people didn't make the swim time.
I was just curious on how most people felt about the course.
I know this is not about making things easier for everyone to finish. For me it just sucks that I can't swim and feel I get penalized for it. The cut off times for the bike and run are so generous compared to the swim.
Time for more swim lessons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lrose_55 wrote:
I definitely got off course a bit. The current kept taking me away from the buoys at the south end of the course. I know for me a it was combination of being a weak swimmer, strong current and no wetsuit.
It just seems like a larger than normal amount of people didn't make the swim time.
I know this is not about making things easier for everyone to finish. For me it just sucks that I can't swim and feel I get penalized for it. The cut off times for the bike and run are so generous compared to the swim.
Time for more swim lessons.

Swim lessons and a greater focus on swimming is the right lesson learned and will pay off for you downstream. At IM Cozumel 2012 there were several HUNDRED DNFs due to a very strong current. That was the last year of the rectangular swim and they want to a point to point because of it. You never know when you might encounter crazy conditions in open water so you need to be ready. Good luck to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve! You crushed it; great race my man!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lrose_55 wrote:

I think if you can't make the cutoff on that course -- long, with currents, or whatever it was -- then you shouldn't be racing a 70.3 distance swim in open water. You need to learn to swim before you risk your health and welfare in these races.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at Ironman 70.3 Miami [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
lrose_55 wrote:

I think if you can't make the cutoff on that course -- long, with currents, or whatever it was -- then you shouldn't be racing a 70.3 distance swim in open water. You need to learn to swim before you risk your health and welfare in these races.

I have never not made the cut off. I can swim, just not a strong swimmer. It was never a thought in my mind that I wouldn't make the cut off.
But thank you for your very encouraging words.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was definitely something up with the swim. I noticed a little chop at the midway point but not enough to throw times off that much. My goal was 32-33 minutes and I swam 38 flat lol. I was astonished since I was 31st in my wave out of the water. Leanda Cave (last year's female pro winner) and Michael Raehlert (last year's male pro winner) both swam 6 minutes slower this year. That should make us all feel better.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at Ironman 70.3 Miami [Cicirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My garmin measure 2.4 km in the water, there was a strong current between de the 2 a 3 buoys. The circuit felt a lot longer than last year.
I think it was not well measured, I asked 5 people of my team and all of them did between 15 and 30 minutes more than last year.
Is something that the organization has to review and make a comment. Because a lot of us gote disappointed and maybe we will not come back next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at Ironman 70.3 Miami [rufo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rufo wrote:
My garmin measure 2.4 km in the water, there was a strong current between de the 2 a 3 buoys. The circuit felt a lot longer than last year.
I think it was not well measured, I asked 5 people of my team and all of them did between 15 and 30 minutes more than last year.
Is something that the organization has to review and make a comment. Because a lot of us gote disappointed and maybe we will not come back next year.
swim is short? people line up to do it
swim is a few mins long? maybe we will not come back next year

and people wonder why this sport has become a joke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rufo wrote:

Please do us all a favor and don't come back. People like you and your friends are what's wrong with this sport.

And btw... last year, the swim was short. Why did you come back this year if the distance wasn't correct last year then?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at Ironman 70.3 Miami [MeltingPot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here was the file from one of the members in my tri club. We said the garmin reported 1.9 mi, and looking at his number of strokes times his average ft per stroke, he figures he "swam" 3.1 MI.
He did well on the first leg, the second and third legs were definitely affected by the currents.
IMFL 2015 had some very intimidating surf and breakers, but most of the swim was easy.
Last edited by: bobthib: Oct 26, 16 18:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You too can do as favor if you're so Pro and maybe have some technical response. The joke of this sports is geek's like you that pretend to be Pro. If you do not have a good answer keep to yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rufo wrote:
You too can do as favor if you're so Pro and maybe have some technical response. The joke of this sports is geek's like you that pretend to be Pro. If you do not have a good answer keep to yourself.

A technical response to what?! You made a snarky/asshat comment about/towards the race organization and I called you on it. They did nothing wrong in my opinion.

If you read my earlier comments in this thread, you would see I measured this course about 100 yards long (1.26 miles). I do not buy the 1.5 miles or longer unless someone can show me a Garmin file and I can compare it to mine. A lot of people swam terrible lines which added to the distance. I swam 28:55 and I'm typically a 22-25 min swimmer depending on the conditions. If your team members were really 15 min or more slower than last year, then they need some major work in the pool and open water to handle the adverse conditions. The times were slow.... yes. But not because the distance was a tad long.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you read well my post I did not make a nasty comment on the organization. I asked for a comment like: (the course was well measures or maybe one the buoys moved).
Your remark "to not come back" is an anti sport comment and lacks of CAMARADERIE between people who loves ths sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rufo wrote:
If you read well my post I did not make a nasty comment on the organization. I asked for a comment like: (the course was well measures or maybe one the buoys moved).
Your remark "to not come back" is an anti sport comment and lacks of CAMARADERIE between people who loves ths sport.

YOU are the one who suggested not coming back based on the fact that you or your friends are shitty swimmers. THAT is what spawned the idea of not returning.

here's an idea, learn to swim so a couple 100 yards added to the swim dont add 30 minutes to their time. wtf?!?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at Ironman 70.3 Miami [MeltingPot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MeltinPot:
I will not fall into your game of disqualifications. First learn how to be respectful to your fellow sport and if them ask your opinion about their swim ,you can say something about their condition. Anyway I think you're just a big bully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same type of problem, made the cutoff, but my time was significantly worse than my prior 70.3 (Muncie). I wish I could say I just need to spend more time on it, however, every other race this year I've had my best swim times ever. Unfortunately I forgot to start my Garmin in the water, I did feel it got a little choppy after T2 coming home but I felt fine physically. I was disappointed, but it happens. Good to know I wasn't the only one, I was very concerned that I was just terrible in the water that day (still could be some of the issue). My bike wasn't much better, struggled against the wind going out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I never would have guessed that a simple and innocent question about the swim in Miami would provoke such
vitriol in people. Maybe THAT is what is wrong with the sport. Some of you need to chill out.

I also missed the swim cut in Miami, but finished the race. Current/tide was definitely a factor, especially for the later waves.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at Ironman 70.3 Miami [boston_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, everybody! on both sides. all sides. go back and read your comments!

i think we're all watching the pundit panels on CNN too much. in 2 weeks it'll all be over. then can we be friends again?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rufo wrote:
MeltinPot:
I will not fall into your game of disqualifications. First learn how to be respectful to your fellow sport and if them ask your opinion about their swim ,you can say something about their condition. Anyway I think you're just a big bully.

Look rookie-in-the-fat-tire/Athena-division - Go to your "safe place" and STFU!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next