Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim Workouts
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I am new to triathlon but not entirely new to swimming. I am advising a friend, a beginner swimmer, in regard for getting ready for a sprint-type triathlon. Can anyone suggest a good site that builds swim workouts of ~300-500 yards? Thanks!
Adam
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workouts [adam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found the book "Workouts in a Binder" by Gale Bernhardt and Nick Hansen from Velo Press (at book stores and Amazon.com) is a great resource. It is a water-resistant book you take to the pool and set near your lane to get workouts from. Check it out!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this was posted here previously: http://www.swiminfo.com/swim-cgi/work_search.pl

The site allows you to enter the variables you are looking for and then searches for a workout that matches.

Dave in WI
-----------------------------------------------------
"What you once were isn't what you want to be anymore" - Wilco
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Great book with good drills is Triathlon swimming made easy by Terry Laughlin. You can find it on the Total Immersion site (http://shopping.netledger.com/...mode.welcome/sc.1/.f)

The theory is to work primarely on reducing drag and saving your legs for Cycling an Running.

It really worth it!

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.trinewbies.com click on sprint tri workout schedule. It has 200/300/400/500/600 yard work outs
Quote Reply
workouts binder [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would reccomend the workouts binder and the trinewbies site also... the one thing that i would reccomend... When I started I had barely swam in the past if your tri has a swim of 500M try to build up to workouts around 1000M. My first tri had a swim of around 300M and I had been doing swims of around 400-500M but what a difference going straight for 300 versus taking a break every 50... There is also a new version of that swimming workout binder that is for triathletes specifically... I don't really knwo the difference but I would imagine it has fewer of the long kick workouts... good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
umm.. i dunno if you forgot the zero, but a swim workout of 300-500 yards is nothing.. if he can't swim for more than 500 yards, i would teach him how to properly kick, and then how to breath.. and finally how to put it all togeather and swim. But he shouldn't be doing a "workout" if he can't swim.. there is absolutly no point to that. However, if you meant 3000-5000 yards.. just google "swim workouts" and there are alot out there.. most clubs put up all there workouts on the web.

David
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workouts [David Clinkard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. I'll check out the binder and look into trinewbies.

>umm.. i dunno if you forgot the zero, but a swim workout of 300-500 yards is >nothing.. if he can't swim for more than 500 yards, i would teach him how to >properly kick, and then how to breath.. and finally how to put it all togeather and >swim. But he shouldn't be doing a "workout" if he can't swim.. there is absolutly >no point to that. However, if you meant 3000-5000 yards.. just google "swim >workouts" and there are alot out there.. most clubs put up all there workouts on >the web.
Of course this is totally ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is ridiculous about it?

teaching someone to swim before staring them on workouts? or the assumption on my part that you can't fit a workout into 500 m? I guess i do go on the assumption that a workout should consist of a 15-20 min warmup, a main set, and a cool down. (5-10 min), and hence find it hard to fit all that into 500 m.

just my .02 c
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workouts [David Clinkard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The notion that a beginner should be able to swim 3000 yards is completely silly unless by "beginner" you mean "fairly proficient swimmer" . 1 Hour of swimming is simply too much for many people in the beginning. If a person knows the basics of breathing, and kicking this does not mean they can put in 3000 yards.
For the most part this is semantics. This person is not yet at the level you would term a "beginner." So there ya go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi adam its Adam. Try www.wintheswim.com He tailors workouts to you and includes some information every week and will also answer questions. I am an advanced swimmer and the workouts were great for me and my friend is a beginner (using your definition not David's) and also found the workouts challenging but achievable.

Adam
Quote Reply