Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by ou8acracker2
Last edited by: ou8acracker2: Jun 28, 16 9:18
Re: Swim Workout and discovery [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any advice would be wonderful as to maximize training potential from all you swimmers out there.

Start doing swim practices like a swimmer.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to Google plantar fasciitis too.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workout and discovery [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Is this how triathletes train for the bike and the run?

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workout and discovery [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason: You are cute

The other guy: I have. Also got x-rays for Jones fracture, some scans, etc. I've done other sports that had more injury than this one....so been through that gambit. Was just pointing out something I noticed that the doctors apparently did not know that helped.

3rd person: yes - that is why triathletes aren't actually good at any three of the sports :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife tells me i'm cute all the time ;-)

But, I wasn't being coy, I'm serious. If you really want to improve, what you're doing isn't the most effective way to do it.

Is your foot preventing you from pushing off the walls?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn - my girlfriend just looks at me and shakes her head and walks away. You got a keeper haha

I don't like flip turns. I cant push off anything in an open water swim so Id rather not have that advantage in a pool. I was a diver in college so witnessed plenty of swim practices. I just never understood why they did what they were doing. It seemed they practiced as a group doing an umbrella of drills. There did not seem like there was any differentiation between what events people specialized in and the way they practiced. Like - why do 1000m of breast stroke if you are a freestyle sprinter? Would you not best be served doing 1000m of freestyle?

enlighten me? Again I am not a swimmer, nor a runner, nor a cyclist. I am a surfer who decided bull riding was too painful after 2 years and got two tall for 16 years of gymnastics soooooooooo triathlon sounded like a good sport to go to haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do open turns, but in a way that makes them as speedy as a half assed flip turn, at least, but I also realize I should get with the program myself.

There's a tri swim coach named Gerry Rodriguez and his reasoning for pushing off the wall as a triathlete is as follows: those two or three strokes you take coming off the wall, you are streamlined, your body is nicely positionee and aligned in the water, so those are the best strokes you will take that length, until you reach the other wall. Also the reason he thinks most mediocre swimmers should swim short course and not long course.

Also, if your first 1.2 mile distance (how do you measure miles in a pool?) is at 60-70% and 38-40 mins, yet the second hypothetical 1.2 miles can only be done around 7 mins slower overall (which is more than 20s per 100m slower, a massive drop in speed) then you're not swimming that first 1.2 miles at 60-70%, but alot harder than you think you are.
Last edited by: snaaijert: Jun 28, 16 11:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Troll level = expert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it isn't an "advantage" as far as training goes, a quick turn gets you back to swimming quicker. You don't have turns in the ocean either, but the quicker you can make the turns, the closer it is to open water conditions.

Dunno what college you went to, but most places will have at least a couple of groups e.g. sprint group, mid distance/distance, IM / stroke, etc. depending on their squad. Everyone does a bit of everything, usually, for stroke development and injury prevention, and occasionally someone is a late bloomer in a stroke.

But that's kinda beside the point. A long easy float isn't really the best way to develop your capacity as a freestyle swimmer.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
it isn't an "advantage" as far as training goes, a quick turn gets you back to swimming quicker. You don't have turns in the ocean either, but the quicker you can make the turns, the closer it is to open water conditions.

Dunno what college you went to, but most places will have at least a couple of groups e.g. sprint group, mid distance/distance, IM / stroke, etc. depending on their squad. Everyone does a bit of everything, usually, for stroke development and injury prevention, and occasionally someone is a late bloomer in a stroke.

But that's kinda beside the point. A long easy float isn't really the best way to develop your capacity as a freestyle swimmer.

I see your point with the turns. As for the swim team - I didnt know who specialized in what. I had flying through the air to worry about. It just seemed jumbled to me.

but OK - perfect the long easy float. That was what I was getting at. I can do the long easy distance. Now WHEN should I up the speed and HOW. Should I get to a long easy float of 2 miles (.8 more than the 70.3 swim) and then start doing 100m or 200m intervals? OR do a swim of 1.2 at 40min, then next one try to hit 39, next one try to hit 38, etc and just dwiddle my time down.

I am not trolling haha I was curious so I am asking. Jason is helping (albeit thinking I am a moron the entire time - which is fine with me lol)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
abandon the long easy float and start doing proper workouts.

There might be a link or 2 in my sig line.

Also google "Sara McLarty"

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Any advice would be wonderful as to maximize training potential from all you swimmers out there.

I found the secret to swimming better was to have someone look at my stroke and then swim a lot... but don't tell the other age groupers that as it seems to be some kind of secret. My coach and I made some changes to my stroke and I've dropped 4-5 minutes off my half iron swim in a few months (38/9 down to 33/4). We have some work to do tweaking it in the offseason, but I am now able to keep up with friends who were much faster than me last year and who have been doing this for years. Now if only I could become a decent runner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:
Damn - my girlfriend just looks at me and shakes her head and walks away. You got a keeper haha

I don't like flip turns. I cant push off anything in an open water swim so Id rather not have that advantage in a pool.

And yet you said "Touch, turn, and restart". Is that what you do in open water swims?

If you do 1.2mi and you aren't tired, then you didn't work very hard. You can choose to not work hard and be satisfied with that pace, or you can swim harder in practice. Your choice.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workout and discovery [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i get pretty tired after 150m

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
i get pretty tired after 150m

I'm in the pool at 5am during the week. I start off with a 500yd straight warmup. I can't recall the last time I got to 200yds without thinking "f*** this, I'm outta here". If the bagel shop opened before 6am, I'd have been outta there.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workout and discovery [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you work that hard - why didn't I see you on TV at the trials? You have a hard work + pain = great success...I half expect to see you killing it on TV.

No thanks - I put in my paces with 12 hour practices during gymnastics. One of the alternates to the Olympic Men's team this year and member of the London team was a kid I competed against and we always fought it out on the Podium. I decided I would rather have a life and he decided to continue his 12 hour living in the gym days. I do not regret my choice what so ever.

So continue to work hard - Ill find a workout that I enjoy :-) even if I finish last in my age group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:
If you work that hard - why didn't I see you on TV at the trials? You have a hard work + pain = great success...I half expect to see you killing it on TV.

No thanks - I put in my paces with 12 hour practices during gymnastics. One of the alternates to the Olympic Men's team this year and member of the London team was a kid I competed against and we always fought it out on the Podium. I decided I would rather have a life and he decided to continue his 12 hour living in the gym days. I do not regret my choice what so ever.

So continue to work hard - Ill find a workout that I enjoy :-) even if I finish last in my age group.

My apologies. I thought you were serious when you wrote "Any advice would be wonderful as to maximize training potential from all you swimmers out there. "

Carry on with your floating.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workout and discovery [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I found the secret to swimming better was to have someone look at my stroke and then swim a lot... but don't tell the other age groupers that as it seems to be some kind of secret. My coach and I made some changes to my stroke and I've dropped 4-5 minutes off my half iron swim in a few months (38/9 down to 33/4). We have some work to do tweaking it in the offseason, but I am now able to keep up with friends who were much faster than me last year and who have been doing this for years. Now if only I could become a decent runner.

triathletes don't want to hear "swim more"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.google.ca/...qmxV4cJnWa8xSo16g9oA

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workout and discovery [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the OP I would do 3 rounds of 300 + 8x50

Thats 2100 metres or yards which is close to your race distance. 300s can be float pace and the 50s are mile pace.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workout and discovery [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
For the OP I would do 3 rounds of 300 + 8x50

Thats 2100 metres or yards which is close to your race distance. 300s can be float pace and the 50s are mile pace.

That seems like an interesting set and video, thanks for posting. I know you use the word "float pace" to appease the OP, but can you be a bit more specific what float pace would mean for say, a 15min scm 1000m swimmer?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workout and discovery [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:

triathletes don't want to hear "swim more"

Which is strange, because when they are told bike more and run more, they are all like OK, great, how much more. Tell then to swim more and more often, and it's like oh, but swimming if the shortest event.

I've noticed a sharp drop in my swimming as I've cut yardage and frequency. I'm going the opposite direction. But I accept that. I choose to make up for it on the bike.

If the OP is a former elite athlete, I don't understand why he's so adverse to putting in the work to get results. Nobody is saying you need to train 12 hours a day. That's not humanly possible in endurance sports. But getting in the pool and doing proper swim workouts 5-7 days a week shouldn't be asking too much if you want to get serious.

Also, if you run more frequent, and shorter long runs and run slower most of the time, you might resolve that foot injury too. Most triathletes...and runner... run too fast most of the time.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workout and discovery [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, and many I'm sure, swimming is the least convenient. Biking. Indoor trainer or go out my front door. Running. Out my front door. Those are according to my schedule. Pool. Further drive and I have to work around others who use the pool particularly kids swim teams. If I had a current pool in my backyard that would be great. I did recently start swimming more but ended up tweaking my shoulder. but once that's Healed my goal is swim 4-5 times per week.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Workout and discovery [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My house is about 900m from my open water spot...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next