Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim Rhythm Help
Quote | Reply
Long time stalker, first time posting. I’m having a lot of trouble getting my legs and arms in sync while swimming. There is no rhythm whatsoever. I can swim with my arms just fine, albeit my legs drop. I can kick with my legs alone just fine. Combine the two and it’s like hearing William Hung sing “She Bangs”. I kick faster in some spots, slower in others and have it be completely random in all. Just doesn't feel smooth.
Is there any drills/videos/advice anything to help me fix my problem?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Rhythm Help [TeamJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try with a pull buoy and just do a very very gentle two beat kick. The kick that gives you rotation is the most important one for distance swimming. When your right arm pulls and your left hand is about to enter you kick the right leg, to pivot your body.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Rhythm Help [TeamJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like he said above. Try the 2 beat kick. There are some specific exercises you could to to focus on it:
- cross: try kicking your left leg and slapping right arm on the water at the same time and vice versa (you can splash all you want, focus on correct hand entry in other sets).
- straight: try focussing on pulling left arm at the same moment you kick left leg and vice versa. Really good exercise also to focus on on a core and glide afterwards.

After a while while swimming normally, you might start swimming 4-beat as your legs will continue to kick faintly between the two main kicks.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Rhythm Help [Kreiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also suggest using fins as it will even out your kick and make it more rhythmical. I have an uneven kick and find I swim faster without fins after using the fins for a few hundred metres and taking them off again.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Rhythm Help [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I have a swim workout tomorrow and I'll be working on the two beat kick with some fin work... lets get the rhythm goin'!
Quote Reply