Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim Pace
Quote | Reply
Is there a rule of thumb for measuring swim splits against run splits. I never swam competitively or even for exercise until I started doing triathlons, and while I know that I'm basically of average speed I don't have a good frame of reference for what is "fast" and what is "slow." In other words, is there some formula to compare run pace to swim pace so that you can say "x time for 100 meters in the pool is about the same as an 8 min mile when running."

I realize that I'm completely trying to compare apples to oranges but that's the question...
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Pace [IAG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swim in Meters so I'll talk in those measurements:

When I'm saying kilometers I mean kilometers in a 10k pace, not a marathon.

A decent average pace for a long swim is under 1:30-1:35 per 100. You can't compare that to running, but I would say it's somewhere around the 5 minute per kilometer mark.

A pretty good pace is 1:25-1:30, which equals to around 4:30 per kilometer.

1:20-1:25 is around 4:00

Under 1:15-1:20 is around 3:45 I would say,

and finally anything under 1:15 is equal to under 3:30 when running a 10k.

That's my estimate, and it isn't cast in stone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I you are trying to compare speed and distance between running and swimming you figure it takes 4x as long to cover the distance with swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know how to compare it to running, but I'll go ahead and risk crucifixion with the following general opinion of "fast" vs. "slow" on a swim split:

All times are per 100 meters and assume (1) good conditions; (2) no wetsuits; (3) middle age male; (4) no big gaps from start/finish and the water/timing mat

Sprint (300-400 meters): 1:10 = pro; 1:25 = fast; 1:55 = MOP; 2:20 = slow

Olympic (1500 meters): 1:15 = pro; 1:35 = fast; 2:05 = MOP; 2:30 = slow

Half IM (1935 meters): 1:15 = pro; 1:40 = fast; 2:10 = MOP; 2:40 = slow

IM: (3870 meters): 1:20 = pros; 1:45 = fast; 2:15 = MOP; 2:40 = slow

Obviously, these numbers are very subjective, but I gathered that's what you're after. Also, its difficult to estimate your pace on an open water swim when you're using only pool swims as predictors. In the open water, you've got sighting, other swimmers, and swells to deal with, not to mention the lack of walls from which to push off.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Pace [keyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exactly what i had in mind keyster; thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do people keep saying Sprint distance is 300-400M swim? Standard Sprint distance is 750-20-5. Half an olympic distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Pace [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because at least around here, no one runs what you call a standard sprint. Swim's somewhere between 400 and 1000M,(with most of them 400-600M) Bike- 10 miles to 30K, run's 3-5 miles.

I've never heard of a standard sprint distance before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never heard of standard sprint distance swim distance.... And in most regions of the US, the swims are greater than 400m. In fact, most that I have done (that would be from Nova Scotia to San Diego) are at least 500m. The only exception would be some super sprint distance tri's or if you want to count two 400m loops for a F-1 triathlon.

Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Pace [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the sprint tri's that are promoted vary in distance all over the place. But the standard distance for a sprint is 750-20-5
Quote Reply