Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swim Meter Marlin on Kickstarter
Quote | Reply
http://www.platysens.com/marlin/

From the website:

Tired of looking at your watch or the pool’s clock for every lap? Marlin provides realtime audio feedback to swimmers. Important parameters such as lap time, stroke rate and navigation information* is provided to swimmers without disrupting the swimmers' motion. Whether you are swimming in open water* or in the pool, Marlin can tell you know how well you are doing so you can focus on your swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Meter Marlin on Kickstarter [seifufu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know what I'd love? A waterproof pace clock that I could put down at the top of the T. I'd shell out $50 for one of those. Maybe even $100.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Meter Marlin on Kickstarter [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think this gadget read out your pace to you so you don't even have to look.

the most interesting feature to me is the navigation, but it is not clear how that is going to work or work in a race setting going around buoys that is not on a map before hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
You know what I'd love? A waterproof pace clock that I could put down at the top of the T. I'd shell out $50 for one of those. Maybe even $100.

C'mon man, you've been around enough with comp swimmers to know that no swimmers use this kind of thing. Everyone just goes on the top, 5 sec later, 10 sec, etc. Comments like this are destroying your swimmer cred. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Meter Marlin on Kickstarter [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking if you're swimming a 400, 800, etc you could could use it to check your pacing.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Jul 25, 16 11:10
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Meter Marlin on Kickstarter [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

C'mon man, you've been around enough with comp swimmers to know that no swimmers use this kind of thing. Everyone just goes on the top, 5 sec later, 10 sec, etc. Comments like this are destroying your swimmer cred. :)

And that is why pace clocks should only be analog and 3 feet in diameter; controlled by a $5 cheap movement.
And, at least six of them around the pool that takes the coach an hour every day to sync them all.
Can't read those dang digital clocks.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Meter Marlin on Kickstarter [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

And that is why pace clocks should only be analog and 3 feet in diameter; controlled by a $5 cheap movement.
And, at least six of them around the pool that takes the coach an hour every day to sync them all.
Can't read those dang digital clocks.

Right, no need for any of that new fangled stuff, just the basics that swimmers have been using for 50 years or more. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little outside your price range, but check out Pace Pal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I was thinking if you're swimming a 400, 800, etc you could could use it to check your pacing.

That's why pace clocks should be located on the right side near the end of the pool so you can read them at a quick glance after a turn. Do a little math in your head between laps and you should know where you should be coming off the wall.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Meter Marlin on Kickstarter [mhepp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! There's a 25yd pool in my community that I don't use simply because it doesn't have a pace clock (and flag lines, and it's shallow, and it's usually too warm...) Maybe I'll invest in one.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Meter Marlin on Kickstarter [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

That's why pace clocks should be located on the right side near the end of the pool so you can read them at a quick glance after a turn. Do a little math in your head between laps and you should know where you should be coming off the wall.

The pool I swim at is set up that way for long course but is set up short course 95%+ of the time :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

The pool I swim at is set up that way for long course but is set up short course 95%+ of the time :(

Are they wall mounted or something? If not, they should just be moved around the corners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like this?

I took my ancient iPhone (3G) and loaded the free Pace Clock app. Put it in a waterproof case/bag and viola.

You could just get a cheap 7" android tablet for $50 and do the same thing.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Use your 910/920, alerts going off at certain times.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Meter Marlin on Kickstarter [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's a great idea!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Meter Marlin on Kickstarter [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Are they wall mounted or something? If not, they should just be moved around the corners.

Wall mounted :/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Like this?

I took my ancient iPhone (3G) and loaded the free Pace Clock app. Put it in a waterproof case/bag and viola.

Great idea!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Meter Marlin on Kickstarter [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Can't stand swimming with a watch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
zedzded wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Can't stand swimming with a watch

Me neither and rarely do. But when I do a 10 x 400 set, I like to know that my pace is on target. You get used to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks way too complicated for my own tastes but then again I am one of the weird triathletes that swims with a watch. Definitely has something to do with being color-blind, also may have something to do with not doing flip turns but I don't want to incite riot on the topic so I will leave it at that.

I do frequently swim with my peers and I am always amazed at how often they miss laps in longer sets. Some are better than most, but because I basically use my watch as a pace clock and will look at periodically, I can always reconcile where I am at very easy in the set, even if I am going full gas and mentally I am not all there. Often times I have to signal to my partners, 1 more lap, or you did 1 too many. I used a simple Timex sleek-50 for years, but now I just use the 'Other' mode on my Garmin 735xt. I don't like the swim mode in the watch as again I prefer to use my watch as a pace clock, the only differences is I can reset it to the top at the click of the lap button.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Kickstarter site has a nice video on the features.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...d-to-tal/description
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about one of these?

http://www.sportcount.com/...ts.php?category_id=1

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Like this?

Can you post the name of the bag you use, please?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Meter Marlin on Kickstarter [sixt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was this (or something similar): http://www.ebay.com/...Tn0VXIeKxPLMNNFc-JTg

I think I paid $7 on ebay.

I've also used Dry Pak bags in the past: https://www.rei.com/...ell-phone-case-large

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Meter Marlin on Kickstarter [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
How about one of these?

http://www.sportcount.com/...ts.php?category_id=1

I've never seen a swimmer wearing one of those finger counters go under 1:00 per 50 yd, even on an "all-out" 50. Those finger thingys seem to attract daydreaming swimmers. :)

Quote Reply

Prev Next