Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim Help - Kick Timing (Step 3 of 3)
Quote | Reply
I made this a 3 step process to eliminate some non essential stuff, and also to honor those who have actually paid me for my 12 week course, of which this curriculum is a part. I edited the title of the previous two kick timing posts to reflect this. You should definitely complete and understand those two lessons, on successive weeks, before attempting this third step.

Last week, I challenged your sense of kick control by limiting the kick to 1-kick per arm cycle. During the workout, you had some opportunities to get accustomed to this very limited use of the kick.

Now, we add an additional element to this drill: specific timing. With specific kick timing, our objective is to develop a sense of the most effective place to put a single kick during the stroke.

At this point in the cycle, we have been doing a whole host of activities that have focused on foot control, leading up to an ability to “time” our kicks. These have taken the form of stopping and starting the kick: 3-beat kick with board, pulling (not kicking), pulse kicking (turn it on and off)*, 1-leg kick (turn off one leg), and 1-beat kick (specifies duration of kick cycle).

Now, we take this to the next level, by specifying a specific timing of the kick with the arms. Difficulty in performing this can be expected with a majority of athletes, but by reviewing and reinforcing the activities that we have done up to this point, you will build your “physical vocabulary” in such a way as to allow you to achieve this command of timing.

Generally speaking, the most effective place to kick a single-beat is during the “finish” phase of the pull of the arm on the same side as the kicking leg. In other words, if you are kicking with your right leg, place the downbeat of the kick when the right arm is in the last half of the underwater portion of the stroke. This will give you a sensation of synchronized thrust, and acts much in the same way that a team off rowers delivers all of their paddles at the same time. More importantly, perhaps than any actual thrust generated by the kick, this foot provides your body with a “platform” off which to drive the rest of the body – allowing you to generate more force with your arms and torso, and thereby making the pull more effective.

We also introduce another speed-play concept: descending. Descending swims are common fare amongst competitive swimmers, and it simply refers to increasing speed between successive swims in a set (increasing speed = decreasing time, hence “descending”). So, if we are doing a set of 6 X 50, descending 1-3, it means we will increase our speed as we go from the 1st to the 2nd to the 3rd swim of the set, and then begin the process again through the 4th, 5th and 6th swims. This is in contrast to the “BUILD-UP” which involves changing speed within a single swim.

The set of 6x50 in the conditioning set of the primary workout also introduces another concept that you may or may not be familiar with - the "send-off interval". In contrast to the "set-rest" intervals that we use throughout most of the program, these sets list 3 intervals to the right - "1:00 / 1:15 / 1:30" -- you can choose one from this list that matches your speed, with an eye towards selecting an interval that gives you about :10 rest on the slow 50s. The 3 intervals are just suggestions, representing a wide range that tends to suit the range of swimmers that we encounter in our live classes - but you may wish to have one that is slower, faster, or somewhere in between.

A final note about kick timing... Often, after a few dedicated weeks, a swimmer "gets it" and the tendency is to move on, assuming that the proper timing is present and will always remain. My experience is that "getting it" is most likely just "getting it close", and there can be months and years of refinement available. Perfectly dialed in kick timing is a hallmark of successful swimmers, and for AOS, this "perfection" can take quite a bit of conscious work after the initial "getting it". Proper kick timing can also come and go, especially at first, and especially when attempts are made to integrate that timing into new and non preferred kick rhythms.

If you want to see videos and explanations for some of the drills and activities (SoL, F&P, Pulse kicking, etc) presented in this workout, see my Essential Information post on Patreon. Those drills and activities are not required to learn the fundamentals of kick timing, but they can't hurt.

WARMUP
1 X 300 ALT. 50 SWIM / 25 F&P (or PULL)
:30 REST

4 X 50 on :10 REST
ODD – 3 BEAT KICK w/ BOARD
EVEN – PULL

4 X 50 SWIM on :15 REST
#1 – BREATHE EVERY 3RD
#2 – BREATHE EVERY 4TH
#3 – BREATHE EVERY 5TH
#4 – BREATHE CHOICE

1 X 100
ALTernate. 25 1-6 SoL / 25 3-6 SoL w/UN-INTERRUPTED KICK
REST :30
1 X 100 ALT. 25 6-6 PULSE / 25 SWIM

INSTRUCTIONAL
6 X 25 SWIM WITH 1 LEG KICK with FINISH TIMING on :20 REST Do 3 with each leg.

CONDITIONING / DRILL REFINEMENT
6 X 50 PULL OR F&P, DESCEND 1-3 on :15 REST

1 X 300 done as 100 SWIM / 100 6-6 PULSE / 100 SWIM
6 X 50 SWIM DESCEND 1-3 on :10 REST
REST 1:00
1 X 300 SWIM STRONG (Practice for next weeks time trial!)

REST 1:00

1 x 100 SWIM EASY

NOTES:
KICK TIMING – Generally speaking, the most effective place to kick a single-beat is
during the “finish” phase of the pull of the arm on the same side as the kicking leg. In other words, if you are kicking with your right leg, place the kick when the right arm is in the last half of the underwater portion of the stroke. This will give you a sensation of synchronized thrust, and acts much in the same way that a team off rowers delivers all of their paddles at the same time.

DESCEND – This is a basic speed-play concept which generally refers to increasing
speed between successive swims in a set (increasing speed = decreasing time, hence
“descending”). So, if we are doing a set of 6 X 50, descending 1-3, it means we will
increase our speed as we go from the 1st to the 2nd to the 3rd swim of the set, and then
begin the process again through the 4th, 5th and 6th swims.

This is in contrast to the
“BUILD-UP” which involves changing speed within a single swim.

Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Dec 4, 17 6:52
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Help - Kick Timing (Step 3 of 3) [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this. I've been working on my kick per your suggestions (I could post this on any of the threads) - not so much following the structured sets, but rather incorporating the concepts, making up sets and becoming aware of things. Here's why I've found:

- The single-leg kick drill showed me that my kick was all over the place. Very hard to to execute at first. I also noticed that I had some big pauses in my kick timing (related also to stroke, more on that below).

- I've been following the sequence you suggested and doing other drills you suggest (SoL, etc.) sprinkled with hard laps - so, e.g. 16X100 where the odds are alternating 25s of one-leg kicking or one-kick,per cycle, etc. and the evens are descending with the last few hard.

- The concept of a kick timed with finish is sinking in. I definitely feel the smoothness and propulsion. Counting strokes (not looking to reduce intentionally but just monitoring), I noticed that my count in tending to reduce by one stroke (15 to 14) when swimming easy. Also noticed that when I bring stroke rate up, my count doesn't necessarily go up immediately (say from 15 to 17), it's more consistent in the 15-16 range, particularly if I increase kick intensity with a 6 beat.

- Big change is that I now get 6 beat (sort of, at least) and in fact, have been practicing switching from 2 to 6 beat, back and forth (pulse). Also another big change is that the stroke is smoother, the pause in my kick was also a pause at the top of the stroke. Since cleaning up kick, stroke feels smoother and I can "go through the gears" more easily, increasing/decreasing stroke rate.

- Although I throw in some intensity here and there, I haven't put the above to the test yet, i.e. do a full set with pace clock. I did do one of my typical 12x100, 15 secs rest last week, coming in at 1:25ish. Times were about the same as always, but felt smoother (although that can be due to any number of reasons - I don't know if it's age but perceived exertion can vary a lot). My thought is to continue working on skills next few weeks, and then start to increase intensity.

- Big thing I've noticed, that you point out in this thread, (that's why I'm responding to this one) - is that it's not easy to ingrain the changes "Proper kick timing can also come and go, especially at first, and especially when attempts are made to integrate that timing into new and non preferred kick rhythms." Some days, I sort of get it and then have to be intentional about re-gaining it and not losing it in future practices. Right now, my main focus is running, so I'm only swimming 3 times a week (one hour), but will try to increase frequency.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Help - Kick Timing (Step 3 of 3) [JEI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome. I really appreciate the feedback. My general rule is it takes from 6-18 months to "remake" yourself as an adult onset swimmer. Kick timing is a big part of that. You can usually "get" 90% of it in the first 6 days, while the last 10% can take 6 weeks/months/years.... and fluctuate daily as you progress.

In my 12 week course, I don't explicitly teach 2 beat and 6 beat until weeks 10 and 11, so sounds like you are ahead of the curve.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Dec 5, 17 7:37
Quote Reply