Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swim Help - Free and Plentiful Air Exchange
Quote | Reply
Breathing. A simple and natural action, yet often a highly problematic component of proficient swimming. Poor air exchange is easily observed in beginning swimmers - no underwater bubbles, large head lift followed by an urgent and gasping breath, and an overall impression of struggle. Center mount snorkels or simple reduced breath swimming can workaround the issue for a time. Eventually though, we all need to learn how to plentifully exchange air with minimal disruption to the swim stroke.
The issues related to insufficient air exchange can be categorized as follows:
1. Insufficient underwater exhale
2. Insufficient rotation
3. Breathing is not coupled to rotation
4. Stroke rate too low
5. Breath rate too low
6. Timing is off
For beginners, it would be rare for only one of these to be an issue, and not uncommon for all of them to contribute to difficulty.

Exhaling and timing
One of the simplest activities to improve the ability to effectively breathe is "bobs" () Yep, just bob up and down. Done as described in the video, you will learn to exhale while underwater, while sensitizing the body to inhale as soon as the face resurfaces. It's easy and works amazingly well in a short time. Repetitive bobbing will specifically work on insufficient exhaling and timing. It can be practiced for longer periods initially, and as you begin to reap benefits, reduced to a few moments before proceeding to other activities. Complete exhalation can't be stressed enough. Without delving deeply into physiology, let's just say that carbon dioxide saturation is perhaps an equal performance limiter as oxygen debt. Breathe it out, to breathe it in.

Connect breathing to rotation
A second activity which can help with your rotation, and specifically connect that rotation to breathing, (as well as timing), is our old friend, The Float & Paddle (). Review the linked video if needed and then take a look at F&P with Breath Timing () to understand how the rotation of the torso both properly times and physically drives the breathing motion. Much of the work of getting the face in position to breathe should be accomplished through rotation, and when the breath is then timed to this rotation, minimal head lift or turning is required. The body turns with the stroke, the head turns with it, and we breathe when expedient.
[inline "Rob F&P breathe textsmall.png"]

Turn over faster, breathe more
Moving on to stroke rate, this is really a simple math problem. I am not going to insist that you modify your stroke rate, but simply stated, successful open water swimmers largely complete between 70-90 strokes per minute. Assuming one breath per cycle (2 strokes), that is between 35 - 45 breaths / minute. That range is in the ballpark of respiration rates when performing other intense activities. Probably a good thing, as you don't hold your breath when you run or bike, so why do it when you swim?
Adult onset swimmers typically have lower stroke rates. While difficult to put concrete numbers on this segment, I will postulate for this discussion that a range of 35-60 strokes per minute is close. So we have adult onset swimmers with respiration rates up to 50% lower than elite swimmers. (And that is assuming they breathe every cycle, which they often do not)
Disregarding the conventional (correct?) wisdom that open water requires higher stroke rate, I hope to convey the simple idea that simply bringing the stroke rate into alignment with the range of successful swimmers will pay simple dividends in air exchange, ergo the ability to sustain higher intensity for longer periods.

Bilateral doesn't mean every 3rd
Next I would like to draw distinction between stroke & respiration rates and actual breathingpatterns. Most world class swims longer than 200 meters will see an almost exclusive once per stroke cycle breathing pattern. One exception to this pattern will see an athlete not wait until the 3rd stroke for the next breath, but actually breathe on concurrent strokes (on opposite sides). An extra breath () if you will. This 'breathing every stroke' is a common practice among successful distance and open water swimmers. It provides both more air and the ability to see competitors on both sides.
Adult onset swimmers on the other hand, struggle with the bilateral concept. Most whom I observe seem to assume bilateral breathing means an oxygen limiting 'breathe every 3' pattern. Even worse, they struggle so badly with breathing in general that they adopt a 'breathe as little as possible' strategy, foregoing bilateral entirely. Combine those aforementioned low stroke rates with every 3rd, 4th or greater breathing patterns, and you produce adult onset swimmers who are lucky to have 25-30% of the air exchange of their elite counterparts. (And then hang out on triathlon forums debating whether oxygen intensive kicking is useful or not)

Finishing up
In any event, occasional breathing every stroke (twice per cycle) can be considered the icing on the air exchange cake. There is likely far more fruit to be harvested through some simple bobs combined with the rotation and timing improvements available via Float & Paddle. F&P can itself stimulate an increase in stroke rate, so those two simple activities can help with most of the problems listed above. Once you make some progress, add in small bursts of 'breathing every stroke' work to ice your cake.

An Advanced Topic
Last thing... (and those just starting out could probably ignore this) ...let's call it 'breath initiation timing'. Sorta abstruse, but if coupling the head rotation to the body rotation can be thought of as fixed in time, the remaining head movement, the turn or pivot, should be thought of as happening when we choose. I would encourage you to "choose as soon as you can"
Many swimmers wait too long for this movement and suffer the consequences at the end of the breath cycle and into the next stroke. Specifically, the effectiveness of the next stroke suffers via pulling with incomplete spinal alignment (as the head is still on the return trip). Alternatively, spinal alignment is achieved late (as the face returns to the water), the pull takes place late, and overall timing and stroke rate suffers. See our recent "head lead" blog (https://www.patreon.com/...eading-with-15292494) for more on this interplay. Begin turning the head to breathe as soon as the pulling arm is clear.
I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Nov 16, 17 4:51
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Help - Free and Plentiful Air Exchange [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
very very thanks
of all my problems breathing is the most important to solve
thanks for the post
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Swim Help - Free and Plentiful Air Exchange [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The question you should ask is this, how would you increase your SPM but still maintain SPL? That should be your goal.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Help - Free and Plentiful Air Exchange [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
Thanks also for the post, extremely helpful.

What do you mean by starting to breathe when the pulling arm clears? When the arm passes the chest? Hip?

On another note, reading the recent swim threads I am starting to realize that my post last week about the reduced stroke count is a very bad idea. If I take 17 spl, that means 34 strokes per 50. Assuming I swim a 50 in 50 seconds, that means I am only taking maybe 40 spm. That seems way too low given what I have read recently. Now I am even more confused.

The last point about "breath initiation timing" is maybe best considered as extra credit. Work on the other points first.

You really can't turn the head to breathe while there is an extended arm in the way. As soon as the arm starts to drop down and pull, that arm is then out of the way and the head is free to turn to breathe. Initiate at that time. Many swimmers wait longer than this to initiate breathing, and they suffer on the back end - wait too long to start and the finish happens late as well. So on the next stroke, they either pull with poor spinal alignment or they wait for complete spinal alignment, causing a hitch or slow down in their stroke rate (and maybe mess with their rhythm and overall timing as well).
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Nov 16, 17 7:40
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Help - Free and Plentiful Air Exchange [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
The question you should ask is this, how would you increase your SPM but still maintain SPL? That should be your goal.

classic. so good!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Help - Free and Plentiful Air Exchange [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really interesting post, thanks. I was just about to post a question on breathing but I think you just touched on it at the start.

My query is in relation to exhaling, should it be done gradually or held in until the last minute. I was a sprinter from a young age and somebody told me the extra oxygen in your lungs keeps you that bit more buoyant? More recently as I got into tris and longer swims I've been trying to exhale say 50% during the breathing cycle? I breathe once per cycle usually...
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Help - Free and Plentiful Air Exchange [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're breathing every cycle with a suitably high stroke rate, there is not much time to hold the breath. Forget buoyancy. Trying to micro manage a small bit of buoyancy at t he expense of air exchange is not the answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok so can you walk me through the breathing in dumb guy terms. I pull back right and breathe right then pull left then pull right then pull left while breathing left. Etc. so is this breathing 3 like you say? I think you are saying breathe every time my body rolls and right arm is out? So how would I watch left side? Thanks for helping. You can title your reply breathing for dummies. Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Help - Free and Plentiful Air Exchange [resqd1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion the girl doing the extra breaths on both sides is breathing late.
This may be because she is a late breather or it may be because she is having to prompt herself into taking the extra breaths when she does not normally do this.
Breathing on both arms should be as natural as breathing once a stroke cycle.
If you can do this then your timing is correct as it must synchronise with the torso rotation, but the girl in your video was struggling to do so and her timing was varying, she obviously hasn't done this motion much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good tips. I haven't been doing the 2-2-1 type breathing and am constantly limited by O2 deficit at higher efforts, so I'm definitely going to try that. Last time I tried it, I got dizzy from breathing on both sides, but I'm going to assume that's a shortcoming of my head overrotation rather than a real factor since clearly lots of elites do it.

At the same time, I question how useful the 'bob' drill is. I've known about that one from day #1 of swimming, but it has NEVER yielded me any benefit whatsoever, despite sounding logical. The main reason, being, that the issue isn't getting breaths when you're relaxed and low-HR - it's all about getting that breath when in serious O2 deficit, even as a beginner. I'd be more convinced that bob drill would help a lot if the HR was a lot more elevated and breathing a lot more labored while doing it. As for doing it while mellow - totally useless for me, honestly, and I recall working on it quite a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Help - Free and Plentiful Air Exchange [resqd1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
resqd1 wrote:
Ok so can you walk me through the breathing in dumb guy terms. I pull back right and breathe right then pull left then pull right then pull left while breathing left. Etc. so is this breathing 3 like you say? I think you are saying breathe every time my body rolls and right arm is out? So how would I watch left side? Thanks for helping. You can title your reply breathing for dummies. Lol

You would mostly breathe to your "strong side" every 2 strokes, and when you wanted to look to the other side, you change your pattern from breathing every two strokes to breathing every 1(or 3), and then you will be looking the other way. One of my points is that you don't have to wait for 3 strokes to switch sides, you can simply do it on the next arm stroke. But you essentially described it all correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Help - Free and Plentiful Air Exchange [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Good tips. I haven't been doing the 2-2-1 type breathing and am constantly limited by O2 deficit at higher efforts, so I'm definitely going to try that. Last time I tried it, I got dizzy from breathing on both sides, but I'm going to assume that's a shortcoming of my head overrotation rather than a real factor since clearly lots of elites do it.

At the same time, I question how useful the 'bob' drill is. I've known about that one from day #1 of swimming, but it has NEVER yielded me any benefit whatsoever, despite sounding logical. The main reason, being, that the issue isn't getting breaths when you're relaxed and low-HR - it's all about getting that breath when in serious O2 deficit, even as a beginner. I'd be more convinced that bob drill would help a lot if the HR was a lot more elevated and breathing a lot more labored while doing it. As for doing it while mellow - totally useless for me, honestly, and I recall working on it quite a lot.

No doubt bobs lose their utility fairly quickly. It is a very beginner activity.

I find that the issue for many isn't so much getting breaths, as it is exhaling completely. Not doing bobs, but rather when swimming hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Help - Free and Plentiful Air Exchange [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
In my opinion the girl doing the extra breaths on both sides is breathing late.
This may be because she is a late breather or it may be because she is having to prompt herself into taking the extra breaths when she does not normally do this.
Breathing on both arms should be as natural as breathing once a stroke cycle.
If you can do this then your timing is correct as it must synchronise with the torso rotation, but the girl in your video was struggling to do so and her timing was varying, she obviously hasn't done this motion much.

She definitely doesn't have the most sychronized breath timing. Especially doing that 2-1-2-1 pattern, but I wanted to really show the extra breath concept in a quick video. She is an adult onset swimmer for sure. She's been at it for a couple years, and went from a pure disaster to where she is now. Incidentally, I coached her to an age group national duathlon championship, and we are looking to get her within 3-4 minutes from the FOP in the swim in Cleveland to give her a shot at the same in triathlon this next year. F40-44.

Thanks for your always helpful input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have been talking about that breathing pattern for a very long time here, first introduced by Gary Hall Sr. Here is a thread from 09 and a short video of what it looks like;

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...st=last-6484567#last

Think Gary also wrote a front page article on the pattern, can't seem to find it at the moment..

Glad Dave brought this back up to you all, I think it is one of the most overlooked parts of swimming, taking in as much air as you can in order to swim as fast as you can..
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Help - Free and Plentiful Air Exchange [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I tried to several times, however I think I kept giving up because I would get very dizzy with breathing on every pole. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or just have to get used to the Head motions.

I don't think I have excessive head motion although it is possible, as I have specifically trains to minimize my head motion on the breath, and when I test my short distance Max efforts both with breathing, versus no breathing but not going into oxygen limiting deficit, I swim equally fast with or without breathing.

I am also curious as to weather front of pack Triathlon swimmers actually need to use this technique during the triathlon swim, as I hear a lot of strong swimmers talking about going relatively easier on the swim leg, which I imagine would not require so much breathing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about your issues, perhaps your stroke rate is high? And even for long time fishes it takes a few workouts to feel like it is normal, longer for AOS.

And for sure a lot of swimmers are using this in races, but like you said if it is comfortable enough to swim with 1 breath per stroke cycle, then that is fine. This is used when you are gassed at whatever level you are at from FOP to BOP, and also a sighting and balancing technique.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Not sure about your issues, perhaps your stroke rate is high? And even for long time fishes it takes a few workouts to feel like it is normal, longer for AOS.

And for sure a lot of swimmers are using this in races, but like you said if it is comfortable enough to swim with 1 breath per stroke cycle, then that is fine. This is used when you are gassed at whatever level you are at from FOP to BOP, and also a sighting and balancing technique.

The high stroke rate is probably it, but for sure, I'm not hitting the high turnover that the elite OW racers are seeing in their races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another problem is that folks do not exhale quick enough, you have to start earlier and be more forceful to breath every stroke. And lastly, it really helps if you are gassed when trying this, nothing like really needing the extra air to figure out a way to actually get it. When you do this not gassed it is a lot harder as your old routine programming takes over and has a deep groove your brain wants to follow.

Necessity the mother of invention!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Honestly, I tried to several times, however I think I kept giving up because I would get very dizzy with breathing on every pole. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or just have to get used to the Head motions.

I don't think I have excessive head motion although it is possible, as I have specifically trains to minimize my head motion on the breath, and when I test my short distance Max efforts both with breathing, versus no breathing but not going into oxygen limiting deficit, I swim equally fast with or without breathing.

I am also curious as to weather front of pack Triathlon swimmers actually need to use this technique during the triathlon swim, as I hear a lot of strong swimmers talking about going relatively easier on the swim leg, which I imagine would not require so much breathing.

Well, it's just a technique, and the video shows a 2-1-2-1 pattern, which would almost never be used. 2-2-2-2-1 might be a better place to explore. Learn it if you want, and use it when needed.

I do know of a certain 4:08 / 500 freestyle swim with double breaths into and out of most walls.

Many experience some dizziness when playing with this technique.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Another problem is that folks do not exhale quick enough, you have to start earlier and be more forceful to breath every stroke. And lastly, it really helps if you are gassed when trying this, nothing like really needing the extra air to figure out a way to actually get it. When you do this not gassed it is a lot harder as your old routine programming takes over and has a deep groove your brain wants to follow.

I'm def going to work on this while I'm gassed. My oxygen acquisition is the limiting factor when I'm swimming hard now. Muscular endurance used to be my big limiter, but I think I'm flipping that around with all the Vasa work I've been doing. If I could breath as readily as I do as I do when I'm running hard, I could def drop my pace another 5-10sec/100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to cut and paste, but I had some thoughts about breathing a while back that are in a similar vein regarding timing/effort of breath.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...r_P6396070/#p6396070

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
monty wrote:

I'm def going to work on this while I'm gassed. My oxygen acquisition is the limiting factor when I'm swimming hard now. Muscular endurance used to be my big limiter, but I think I'm flipping that around with all the Vasa work I've been doing. If I could breath as readily as I do as I do when I'm running hard, I could def drop my pace another 5-10sec/100.

With a stroke rate in the range of successful swimmers, and an occasional 'extra breath', we can get very close to our respiration rate while running or cycling at similar intensities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I tried it again today on a fairly hard effort 8 x 400yd workout in the pool, and I focused on breathing on each arm pull upon coming out of a wall turn, and then as needed in the latter half of each 400 when I pushed harder.

Pleased to say it went quite well. It helps a lot to NOT do the breath-every-arm-pull for more than one stroke cycle in terms of reducing dizziness, and I think this was the first time I could maintain the pace without feeling serious O2 deficit by the last rep. (Arms are holding up well!)

I do now have to work on breathing to my weak side, which is a bit clumsier than my strong side, but only slightly worse.

Looking forward to trying this out on harder reps where the O2 deficit gets even more serious!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clark Smith pulls some double breaths into and out of a few walls in this A.R. swim.

https://www.youtube.com/...O6DaDh6nco&t=25s

Quote Reply

Prev Next