Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swim Cap-Wrinkles
Quote | Reply
I just looked at photos from yesterday's triathlon. I noticed that I had I had a bunch of wrinkles in my event issued latex swim cap. Usually, I try to make sure it is not wrinkled but I was a bit rushed getting ready. Any idea how much time the wrinkles might have cost me over 1500 meters? A few seconds would not have a difference yesterday but sometimes they will.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cap-Wrinkles [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I get out of a swim, my cap is barely hanging onto my head... all wrinkled up. I don't think there's any measurable penalty for that.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has to be a joke. Please tell me this is a joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When Katie Ledecky broke the wr for the 1500, her cap was barely on her head at the finish.

The penalty isn't enough to worry about.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What, you didn't iron your swim cap before the race?

What were you thinking!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They laugh, but Speedo has been selling "dome caps" for years now...at least since before the 2004 Olympics.

The Fastskin3 Cap+Goggle system claims a "5.7% reduction in drag," though it's not specified whether this is drag on the head/face alone, or in total Cd.

I'm sure it doesn't make you slower--I have one of the older Aqua V style dome caps (I'm not shelling out $40 for a cap) and it "seems" faster, but you'd need to have one in basically every color in order to wear it in a triathlon.

So that's 3 strikes against a dome cap for triathlon:

1. Cost-- you'd need to have lots of colors to fit in at a race.
2. Fit (a): these caps tend to fit so tightly that they will roll up at the neck if you pick your head up as one does while sighting in OWS. I imagine this is worse than latex cap wrinkles.
3. Fit (b): these caps tend to fit so tightly that you can feel them squeezing your brain. For a short race like any of the swimming event that these were intended to be used for it's a non issue because the cap will be on and off in a matter of minutes, but for a 1500m swim, the cap will likely be on for half an hour by the time you take into account the standing around before the race and/or warmup, and the race itself.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you're capable of holding sub-1:00 consistently for sets of 100yd sprints....you have bigger things to worry about than any "drag" the wrinkles in your cap may create over 1500m.

That's a sarcastic answer, but it's the gods-honest truth. Spend your energy elsewhere.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cap-Wrinkles [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It certainly isn't in total Cd. They may fit "slightly" better, perhaps worth a 0.05 to 0.1 over 100m, but I see so many that ride up over the course of a race that I question whether they are actually faster in practice beyond 200m or so.

I'm still on old school latex caps. They stay put a lot better, and I have a huge cranium, so no wrinkles ;)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you put your race-issued cap on, fold the edge under to make it a "smaller" size cap and stretch it down. You will need to reset the edges again when it is on by re-folding it under where it has come unfolded.

Quote | Reply
My head is so gigantic, I will never have a wrinkle problem. I just hope I can finish the race without my head exploding the cap and getting me a DQ for swimming without my appropriate cap (would that happen? So far haven't broke one midrace yet...)
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cap-Wrinkles [Jayhox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually do this but I was kind of rushed getting ready last weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cap-Wrinkles [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention they fit so tight most people need to wear a latex cap underneath to keep it from sliding up, so the head squeeze factor is even higher!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cap-Wrinkles [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:
Unless you're capable of holding sub-1:00 consistently for sets of 100yd sprints....you have bigger things to worry about than any "drag" the wrinkles in your cap may create over 1500m.

That's a sarcastic answer, but it's the gods-honest truth. Spend your energy elsewhere.

You're too late. Half of ST just went out and bought expensive swim caps in every color!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
I just looked at photos from yesterday's triathlon. I noticed that I had I had a bunch of wrinkles in my event issued latex swim cap. Usually, I try to make sure it is not wrinkled but I was a bit rushed getting ready. Any idea how much time the wrinkles might have cost me over 1500 meters? A few seconds would not have a difference yesterday but sometimes they will.

If the top of your head is underwater such that the wrinkles are creating drag, your body position problems are causing far greater issues to your swimming proficiency than anything a few wrinkles might do.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cap-Wrinkles [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Rambler wrote:

If the top of your head is underwater such that the wrinkles are creating drag, your body position problems are causing far greater issues to your swimming proficiency than anything a few wrinkles might do.

Come again? I would argue that if you are not getting the top of your head at and just below the surface of the water then you have far bigger problems with your stroke and shouldn't be giving advice to others.

(How is that for raising a thread from the dead?)

Quote | Reply
Reminds me of a couple of folks I saw at the pool not too long ago. They wouldn't pull their caps all the way down made it look like they were wearing condoms with a reservoir tip.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cap-Wrinkles [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as they pinch the top when putting it on. And remove it as soon as they get out of the pool, before the pillow, er, deck talk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If by the top of the head, you mean your forehead, your right. If by the top of the head you mean the very top of the skull...your wrong. I love this semantic cess pool, & I'd kick your ass in the pool any day of the week, so don't worry about my mechanics.

If youve gotta dig up weeks old threads to be an internet bully, you're not spending enough time training. Off this board & off to the pool for me!

Jayhox wrote:
turningscrews wrote:
Rambler wrote:

Come again? I would argue that if you are not getting the top of your head at and just below the surface of the water then you have far bigger problems with your stroke and shouldn't be giving advice to others.

Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cap-Wrinkles [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those caps aren't wrinkled, they're ribbed, for her pleasure.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cap-Wrinkles [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
If by the top of the head, you mean your forehead, your right. If by the top of the head you mean the very top of the skull...your wrong. I love this semantic cess pool, & I'd kick your ass in the pool any day of the week, so don't worry about my mechanics.

If youve gotta dig up weeks old threads to be an internet bully, you're not spending enough time training. Off this board & off to the pool for me!

Jayhox wrote:
turningscrews wrote:
Rambler wrote:

LOL. You keep that head up.

Quote | Reply
While I don't think the wrinkles in your cap will impact your overall time, I do think the ulcer you give yourself worrying about these things will help you lose weight which may make you faster on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jayhox wrote:
turningscrews wrote:

Jayhox wrote:
turningscrews wrote:
Rambler wrote:

LOL. You keep that head up.

Actually, I think the reality might be somewhat more complex. If you watch this video of the 2014 NCAA men's D1 500 free final, you'll see that most of the guys' heads are both above and below the water. I chose the 500 since it is long enough to be considered a "distance" race but short enough to be watched in under 5:00. Enjoy:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhV35Aa6NK0

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cap-Wrinkles [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, that proved my point. Every single one of those guys is putting the top of their head in the water. Primarily after they breath and are extending their breathing side arm forward. Just like all fast swimmers do. And if you really want to get technical, and you claim to kick people's asses in the pool, if you dive in or do flip turns, the top of your head is in the water quite a bit. Unless you are sighting the wall with each stroke -- which I doubt you are if your are kicking people's asses in the pool.

Last edited by: Jayhox: Sep 25, 14 7:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jayhox wrote:
Actually, that proved my point. Every single one of those guys is putting the top of their head in the water. Primarily after they breath and are extending their breathing side arm forward. Just like all fast swimmers do. And if you really want to get technical, and you claim to kick people's asses in the pool, if you dive in or do flip turns, the top of your head is in the water quite a bit. Unless you are sighting the wall with each stroke -- which I doubt you are if your are kicking people's asses in the pool.

Well, in turningscrews' defense, he is quite a fast swimmer; IIRC, he went around 4:30-ish for the 500 when he was in college. I think what he was saying is that the idea of completely burying your head below the water all the time is not really a good idea:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Cap-Wrinkles [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Jayhox wrote:

Well, in turningscrews' defense, he is quite a fast swimmer; IIRC, he went around 4:30-ish for the 500 when he was in college. I think what he was saying is that the idea of completely burying your head below the water all the time is not really a good idea:)

Who ever said that?

Prev Next