Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SwimRun wetsuit versus sleeveless for easy/cheap
Quote | Reply
I want an easy to get into cheaper wetsuit than my Aquasphere full suit for such abuses as pool swimming. Aquaman has a SwimRun suit they call Swim Function on sale for 50% (approx 125 USD) or Xterra has a sleeveless for 99 USD. My neighborhood pool is open all year but not heated so this is about extending the season there. Any opinions?
Quote Reply
Re: SwimRun wetsuit versus sleeveless for easy/cheap [xterratri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Aquaman suit is not a swimrun suit, but likely will serve you for what you want
Last edited by: Herbert: Dec 31, 17 16:51
Quote Reply
Re: SwimRun wetsuit versus sleeveless for easy/cheap [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you elaborate? Their website describes it as made for swim and run events. Thanks. I would also appreciate information on W-S pools
Quote Reply
Re: SwimRun wetsuit versus sleeveless for easy/cheap [xterratri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All SwimRun wetsuits have front zippers or both

That suit from Aquaman is perfect for what you want. They just called it a SwimRun suit to sell more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wrong. The Aquaman Swim Function IS a swim run suit. I bought it because no one sells shorties anymore and my QR shorty is 10 years old. I plan to use it for marginally legal sprint swims as I do with the QR. What's different? The swim function has short sleeves, and the material under the arm and between the legs is a stretchier, non chafing material designed for running.
Quote Reply
Re: SwimRun wetsuit versus sleeveless for easy/cheap [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not say it has no function but it is not a SwimRun suit. Folks also race in SwimRun events in old XTERRA and QR suits and run in them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The way this winter is going so far Lake James in April is going to require full suits 🤪
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will admit right off the bat that swim-run races hold no attraction for me and I am no expert or even a layman about them. But your contention that a swim-run suit can only have a front zipper strikes me like saying that ITU tri suits are imposters because of the rear zipper. And if folks run in old QR shorties like mine, then why couldn't they use the Swim Function suit?

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread. As noted, I bought mine strictly as a replacement for my QR shorty which has served me so well for many years.
Quote Reply
Re: SwimRun wetsuit versus sleeveless for easy/cheap [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Herbert is saying is that of course you can swim/run in just about anything out there or in your closet. But this new sport has spawned some new innovations and one of them is the front zipper. You can do a triathlon on a one speed cruiser too, but it is not the best thing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake James will be fine and I ain't scared of the cold. On New Year's Eve I ran a 5.5 km running race in my long sleeve blueseventy SwimRun wetsuit (yes front zipper) in a 23 degrees air temp. I had a lightweight craft short sleeve undershirt under it and the bib above the suit plus I wore my Silicone swim cap and goggles. I wore gloves too plus I had SLS3 compression socks so no much skin would be exposed. My wife thought it was kind of silly since I had regular clothes but I was interested in testing it. Plus it is about fun of course and because it really does not matter for an age grouper. After all, there was no prize money to be won.

But 666 folks braved the weather. As the clock counted down to midnight I opened up that front zipper and got some funny looks and wise ass comments and then we took off. I was plenty warm during the run and only my hands needed a bit more warmth and they did get warm during the race. It is a hilly course especially on the backside and so you have to bank it early. I hoped to run 22 minutes and I actually ran 21:40 and that was 2nd master and 14th overall. But the course is likely short. Maybe 3.25 instead of 3.42 miles.

https://www.facebook.com/...p;type=3&theater

xterratri wrote:
The way this winter is going so far Lake James in April is going to require full suits 🤪
Quote Reply