Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swapping chain between bike and Kickr cassette
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I'm pretty old fashioned when it comes to changing a cassette and/chain, for example I never put a used chain on a new cassette and visa versa because I've always found that wear on the old component causes issues with the new one. However I'm looking at getting the updated direct drive Wahoo Kickr which will mean a casket on my bike and one on the Kickr and one chain on my bike.

Has anyone found issues with moving their bike from outdoor use to the Kickr in terms of cassette/chain issues.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping chain between bike and Kickr cassette [garyO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
garyO wrote:
Hi,
I'm pretty old fashioned when it comes to changing a cassette and/chain, for example I never put a used chain on a new cassette and visa versa because I've always found that wear on the old component causes issues with the new one. However I'm looking at getting the updated direct drive Wahoo Kickr which will mean a casket on my bike and one on the Kickr and one chain on my bike.

Has anyone found issues with moving their bike from outdoor use to the Kickr in terms of cassette/chain issues.
Thanks

Gary,

In my experience if you're changing you chain often enough as wear indicates there's no problem swapping back and forth. I'm doing this with a Tacx Neo with no problems what so ever. The chain is the least expensive item in the drive train so don't be stingy in changing it up. In my experience, if you're wearing out cassettes regularly it'd due to running a worn out chain on them.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping chain between bike and Kickr cassette [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get one of those chain wear measuring devices. I used one to measure my old chains that I'd kept for no good reason and to my surprise, they didn't show any sign of measurable stretch. So just because one perceives a chain to be old and worn, doesn't make it so.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping chain between bike and Kickr cassette [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Get one of those chain wear measuring devices. I used one to measure my old chains that I'd kept for no good reason and to my surprise, they didn't show any sign of measurable stretch. So just because one perceives a chain to be old and worn, doesn't make it so.

I've had one for years and use it regularly:)

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping chain between bike and Kickr cassette [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses so far. Just for clarity I’m anything but stingy when it comes to my fleet of bikes, P5, S5 etc and I have them serviced ahead of each season as I have done for the past 30 years or so. I always have a new chain fitted and cassette- perhaps it’s just habit or fear of mechanicals during an event.

But last weekend I was out on my MTB which is a year or so old and the chain broke. Unfortunately although I kept it my other half threw it away whilst I was away on business. On return I took the MTB to LBS and they fitted a new chain whilst I was there. With the old cassette left in place you could actually hear it was not running smoothly! I have only done about 600 miles on it, far less than I would do on my Tri bikes. This seemed to reinforce the idea that chain and cassette wear into each other - if that makes sense.

So I could do 600 mikes on my S5 next year pop it on the Kickr which might have a cassette only several hours old- just wondering if that would cause problems. Sounds like not but thanks.
Quote Reply