Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swallowing water, breathing problem.
Quote | Reply
I have a breathing issue and it causes me to swallow water on the swim!
But I can't work out whether its my inspiration or expiration thats the problem.
I breath into my trough but find I get splashes of water into my mouth, mostly from my exiting arm.
Am I opening my mouth too wide? Should I be pursing my lips a little and breathing in through the corner of my mouth like I have seen some swimmers do?

Or is the problem that I am not breathing out properly, i.e. breathing out in such a way that the little bit of water I take in is not swallowed and is spat out?

This problem has always bothered me a little, but swimming in cleanish lakes has never caused a problem, but I am concerned about a possible sea swim in the future event and I worried about taking in too much salty water making me sick.
Quote Reply
Re: Swallowing water, breathing problem. [Marcell_S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are an experiment of one in cases like this. None of us are on deck to watch you and assuming you have mastered the "breathe out when your mouth is in, and breathe in when your mouth is out" part of it, the details of exactly "how" are individual. Next time you swim, start experimenting with the relevant variables and keep at it till you figure it out. You will get real time feedback on what works and what doesn't about every 2 seconds. That's just how simple it is.

If this reply comes off as a jackass response, I assure you it is not meant to be. What I'm saying here is that you're trying to unlock the secret to your breathing while swimming without swallowing water, and you have a set of keys already in your pocket, one of which will unlock that secret. Now go start trying the keys!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you are always gonna get water in your mouth. I actually usually take in some water through my nose, not every stroke, but sometimes i.e. 2 or 3 times per practice. Just learn to spit it out on the exhale, you won't swallow it on the inhale since it is not normally possible to inhale and swallow at the same time.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think many of us drink some water while swimming. I always tell everyone I know all the lakes I've swam are safe for drinking. If they weren't I'd be dead.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply