Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swagman Platform Bike Racks
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have experience with Swagman's bike racks? I am looking at a platform rack, specifically the Semi 2.0. I realize Thule and others are the standard in the industry, but I would be curious to know how this compares. On Amazon it looks to be about $75 cheaper than the Thule T2 Classic for example, which is a premium I am more than willing to pay if the Thule truly is a better product. To me quality = doesn't fall apart and doesn't damage bikes over a long trip.
Last edited by: milkman1982: Feb 9, 17 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Swagman Platform Bike Racks [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no experience with swagman but if you are looking for a platform rack and if willing to pay a premium for a rack have you looked at 1up racks? Just a thought in case you haven't seen them before. Bonus is nothing touches your bike frame so that is nice too. Good luck!!
Quote Reply
Re: Swagman Platform Bike Racks [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never heard of Swagman and a quick google search lead me to learn that they've got several models to choose from.

However I have used a T2 and wasn't impressed with it.

I'm super happy with my Kuat, and believe others would say the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a swagman g10 rack. Does everything a rack is supposed - holds bikes securely, no damage, accommodates different wheelbases & tire sizes, I like the tray mounts. No complaints.
Quote Reply
Re: Swagman Platform Bike Racks [mhepp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good timing I actually just picked up the Swagman Semi 2.0 was all set to use it tomorrow to hit some trails on my Mt. Bike, but we just got dumped with a foot of snow....
So while I haven't used it yet I have messed around with it a bit and it looks good to me.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
Does anyone have experience with Swagman's bike racks? I am looking at a platform rack, specifically the Semi 2.0. I realize Thule and others are the standard in the industry, but I would be curious to know how this compares. On Amazon it looks to be about $75 cheaper than the Thule T2 Classic for example, which is a premium I am more than willing to pay if the Thule truly is a better product. To me quality = doesn't fall apart and doesn't damage bikes over a long trip.

I have had a Swagman XTC-4 for about 3 years. I picked it up a at great price on Amazon. It has served my needs perfectly. A few things: there are some minor "fit and finish" things that I think are sort of cheaply made. For instance, the cable that holds one of the pins quickly broke. I was able to tie it on with no further problems. A few of the edges quickly showed a bit of minor surface rust, although it's only noticeable if you examine closely and there is no durability concerns whatsoever. The push-button for adjusting the arms will sometimes stick. I try to keep it lubed and usually carry a wrench or small hammer with me anyway (with my bike tools) to knock it loose if it jams. This doesn't happen often but I can happen). I've used it primarily to haul two tri bikes, but I have loaded it with 4 mountain bikes and have transported them across the country several times. It holds the bikes very securely and I have no concerns about the bikes touching, wobbling, falling off, etc. When I travel with my nice bikes I'll use a rag or something to put under the arm (under the existing padding) just to add a little extra protection.

At no point have I ever wished I spent more money and bought a different bike rack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Swagman two-bike rack for the back of my Rav4. The rack is fine. The locks are total shit. I'm talking about the anti-theft locks on the individual bike mounts that require a key. On the third use the key would no longer unlock the lock. Had to call a locksmith to come and he couldn't even get the thing off. Finally drilled into the thing and took it apart. The locking assembly is really poorly designed and prone to failure.

I still have the rack though. Just can't lock the bikes down. I use a U-bar with a rope lock now.
Quote Reply
Re: Swagman Platform Bike Racks [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Milkman1982,
I am the Director of Sales of Swagman Bike Racks, a friend brought this thread to my attention.
The Semi 2.0 has been in production for about 4 years now. The earlier models didn't have integrated locking cables, they were added for the 2015/16 season. Most rack manufacturer's have zero-frame contact models to protect high value/carbon fiber bike frames. Some bike frame manufacturer's have gone as far as to void warranties on the frames if used with a frame contact rack. I personally have been using the Semi 2.0 on my car since it was developed without any issues and a 4.0 on my truck for vacations.
All Swagman product has a limited life-time guarantee on it, and I believe we are VERY good to our customers in the application of this warranty.
XTC4 user with a hammer in their vehicle (call me and we'll get you sorted, that's ridiculous!)
We are a company of riders...and want to make stuff that we can all afford that is built to last...and if for some reason it doesn't we look after you!...pretty plan and simple.
Hope this helps, if you want any further information, just ask, or call me at 1.800.469.7924.
Cheers,
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Swagman Platform Bike Racks [reefblastbody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi @Reefblastbody,
Give me a ring about your locking knobs (we admittedly had a bad batch), we will happily get you new knobs.
Cheers,
Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Milkman

I have a Swagman Semi 2.0 and have used it for the last year. When I first built it up I was super happy with how solid it looked. It looks and is sturdy. Some companies use smaller bars but it makes the rack flexible and I was trying to avoid that. Features I like are zero frame contact. Easy to use ratchet system for the front wheel and a soft rubberized pad as part of the rear wheel strap that sits on the rear rim to hold it in place without marking my rear wheel while in transport. I am a bit anal when it comes to looking after my bikes so I wanted to make sure nothing would be marked while on the rack.
It has security for each bike in the front wheel arm which is a bonus. It also comes with a security bolt so nobody can take the rack from the car. There is also a cable that you can use for extra security, I use it all the time. It attaches at the hitch receiver and is long enough to go around the bikes and add an extra layer of security. I have a 2inch hitch mount but if you have a 1inch and a quarter mount you can use the adaptor provided with the rack.
I think my favourite feature is the how easy it folds away when you are not using it. The rack also drops down while it is loaded with bikes so you can access the trunk of car without taking the bikes off. I use the rack as a work station as well for mechanical work while at races. I travelled all over BC Canada with this rack and had no issues. It has held up well against weather and I have just left it on rain or shine.
Here is a link to all the semi 2.0 on you tube. Quite a few out there.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=swagman+semi+2.0
They have a new 3 bike rack as well called the Sitkka that looks awesome but I think my Semi 2.0 will be around for a while for me.
Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to dredge up an older post but I ordered my Swagman Quad 4 earlier and touched base with Dave. Michael on here, a representative (?) and long story short, he saved me a lot of headache and heartache and unsold me from the Quad model and we went to the Semi 4.0 with attachment for 4 bikes. The Quad isn't good for carbon frames, something I would have not known had it not been for Slowtwitch Forums and Dave's timely and helpful advice. Just another example of the good things this forum brings to people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realize I am late, but because I didn't find much about Swagman in the past: I have had 2 Swagman bike carriers. The first one protected the bumper of my Sequoia when I backed into a pole in a parking garage at Ironman Wisconsin. It was empty. I got the second, a Swagman XC Cross-Country, to replace it because I was totally satisfied. It works best with bikes that have horizontal (not slanted) top tubes, but its not hard to make it work. Keeps the bike secure. Doesn't hurt the finish. Quick to attach to hitch and get bikes on/off.
Quote Reply