Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suunto Ambit3 & Speed/Cadence Sensor
Quote | Reply
Having some difficulty pairing a Suunto Ambit3 Sport and a BT speed/cadence sensor using a single bike POD setting on the Ambit; cadence works, but speed doesn't. Suunto support site has been useless, as has documentation (both appear to refer to previous generation ANT POD & Suunto devices), but I've submitted a service request, anyway.

So, while I wait the 72 hours for a response from them, here's hoping someone on Slowtwitch might a solution—other than a Garmin.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Re: Suunto Ambit3 & Speed/Cadence Sensor [dseiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you have the option for 3 bike pods on the Suunto. I set mine up with the speed sensor on one pod and the cadence on another and it worked fine. Before that I would have issues with only picking up one or the other. Try doing the speed sensor first (just spin the wheel) and then spin the crank backwards to get the cadence.
Quote Reply
Re: Suunto Ambit3 & Speed/Cadence Sensor [xgep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using two POD device swttings (1 for speed, 1 for cadence) was my thought, as well, but, with two bikes & two speed/cadence sensors, this is not the optimal solution. However, it may be what I have to do. I'd not tried setting speed, first, though.

By chance, are you using a sensor that can be swapped between bikes—one that doesn't use zip ties, but, rather, a stretchy strap? (Pretty sure that's a technical term.) If so, which make/model, and how has durability (of the strap) been?

Regardless, thanks for the useful feedback.//dale

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I use the Wahoo dual band speed/cadence sensor. I still zip tie it down though as I have no desire to lose it mid-ride. The re-pairing between bikes can be annoying but it's kind of inevitable. I have three bikes with sensors (tri bike, road bike, and mountain bike) so I end up re-pairing a lot anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xgep wrote:
Yes, I use the Wahoo dual band speed/cadence sensor. I still zip tie it down though as I have no desire to lose it mid-ride. The re-pairing between bikes can be annoying but it's kind of inevitable. I have three bikes with sensors (tri bike, road bike, and mountain bike) so I end up re-pairing a lot anyway.

Just ordered one of the Scosche sensors ($17 @ Amazon) in the hopes that will help me avoid repairing but will hold onto the Topeak, just in case.

Thank you for the information.//dale

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got everything synced up properly and managed to get in a good ride this morning. But Movescount has not auto-exported the data to Strava, due likely to the fact that the speed/cadence sensor overrules GPS on the Ambit3. (Why'd they make it like that, I can't say; maybe they just liked it better that way.)

That said, GPS data was still recorded, and I was able to do a manual import into Strava. Really wish Suunto would fix this, though.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like my Ambit 2S but am not the biggest fan of Movescount. Movescount exports my runs to strava just fine, but doesnt export my swims. It exports everything to trainingpeaks just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Suunto Ambit3 & Speed/Cadence Sensor [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really like Movescount but have not had swims exported to Strava, either. Contemplating a switch (back) to Garmin but GSC-10 sensors are hard to come by now for their cycling computers; haven't found one in my price range that can make use of the BT sensors. :(

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dseiler wrote:
Just ordered one of the Scosche sensors ($17 @ Amazon) in the hopes that will help me avoid repairing but will hold onto the Topeak, just in case.

Paired up the Scosche Rhythm sensor and am able to get both speed & cadence on a single bike POD pairing. The issue with needing to use two POD pairings appears to be with the Topeak Panobike sensor, the design of which I like better than the Scosche, but if it means I don't have to re-pair the speed sensor with the Ambit3 anytime I switch bikes then I'm willing to forgo form over function.

#cureMS
Quote Reply