Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC...
Quote | Reply
Vendor advertising TRT in the USAT AGNC expo in Omaha. Quick search of the forum reveals no hits for NuMale. Did you guys just not notice? Up on the front page are my thoughts...

http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Is_Bliss_j5977.html

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heh...they had a "pop-up" banner. Only fitting.
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Vendor advertising TRT in the USAT AGNC expo in Omaha. Quick search of the forum reveals no hits for NuMale. Did you guys just not notice? Up on the front page are my thoughts...

I noticed. Thanks for highlighting this, Jordan.
What a black eye for USAT....how the F$% could they not know what was going on in their own expo?

And, I also didn't appreciate the fact that i found a christian evangelizing card in my swag bag.
There's a time and place for everything. IMO, a National Championship event is not a place to try and "convert someone"

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was quite a lot of dicsussion on this outside of the forums on FB. Barry Siff was much more emphatic in his response to questions than Urbach appears to have been (so far).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i noticed and thought it was strange that they were there. I made a comment about it on my post race survey. I wonder if they read those things?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DD posted it on his FB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

Someone brought it up on the one of the AG Nats threads....can't remember which one.

Mind-numbingly stoopid, IMO.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't there but I knew I had read a comment about it here. Supersquid noticed and posted - http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ring=clinic#p6040387 (post #5)

Thanks for writing the story.

I wish I would have been there to stand in front of the booth in my fave Endurance Conspiracy shirt for the big races - http://enduranceconspiracy.com/...roducts/a-pan-y-agua
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 29, 16 14:19
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Brian was the one who brought it to my attention.

I also included Barry Siff on my all of my emails to Rob Urbach, but he did not reply to me at any point.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you brought this up. I have run the selling of booths at a trade show and I am sure USAT knew they where on the list but they may not have known what this company did. I hope all races will look into what is being sold at their booths.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was an expo at AGNC?
Only semi pink.

http://trainingwheelsrequired.wordpress.com
@KellyNCollier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So USAT blames it on the local organizing committee - so even if we believe that no one at USAT outside of that LOC knew about it, what does that say about the people putting on these events? Are they so detached from the sport of Triathlon or sports at all that they have no idea how absurd this is?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also saw the NuMale booth, and pointed it out to my wife. I did not see any people in there and was tempted to stay around and watch who wandered in or picked up promotional materials.

I have to admit I was a bit afraid to even get near it, if I had been in that photo posted above I would be have been very embarrassed!

Mostly I was just sad, and walked off wondering how many of my competitors (I'm in M50-54) might possibly be using that or similar services. I thought it made a mockery of the entire USAT anti-doping program.
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it was a WADA honey pot?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more surprised by the length of the acronym.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You and I have texted/emailed about this after the race in response to the tweet that I sent out. I'm glad you wrote something and saddened by USAT's response or lack of on this subject.

It appears in the conversations I've had from USAT officials & anti doping officials that reached out to me that USAT has been napping in regards to the growing proliferation of drug use among age group athletes over the past year or so. From multiple sources both in USAT and in anti doping efforts it was made clear this wasn't or hasn't been a priority in the last year for USAT triathlon. But I've been assured that a fire has been lit under the various committee's responsible for this thing at USAT. Maybe a closing of the barn door after the horses are already out, but hopefully something happens to slow the proliferation of PED use in the M&W 35-65 AG's.

Contrast that with what USA Cycling is doing and USAT looks a bit worse even.
http://velonews.competitor.com/...oping-program_418887

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So NuMale responded to comments on the front page article that their sign which stated that NuMale can provide testosterone replacement therapy to make you feel younger, stronger and healthier, was in fact not an advertisement but simply support for the community:

Thank you for expressing your concerns about NuMale Medical Center's presence at this prestigious event. We are committed to supporting the communities we serve. We were there to show our support, not to advertise Testosterone Replacement Therapy or any other medical services to the athletes. This was a well attended event and we had the opportunity to interact with the great people of Omaha.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

www.numale.com
866-205-8262

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thank you for expressing your concerns about NuMale Medical Center's presence at this prestigious event. We are committed to supporting the communities we serve. We were there to show our support, not to advertise Testosterone Replacement Therapy or any other medical services to the athletes. This was a well attended event and we had the opportunity to interact with the great people of Omaha.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

www.numale.com
866-205-8262

So that's their response to your piece, Jordan. They say they're not "advertising" but having that pop-up banner in an expo... I call that advertising. They easily could have replied by saying "we didn't know, we assumed it was ok because our booth was ok'd" but they didn't. To me, I hear "we don't care that it's against the rules, we're going to advertise it anyways."
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
It appears in the conversations I've had from USAT officials & anti doping officials that reached out to me that USAT has been napping in regards to the growing proliferation of drug use among age group athletes over the past year or so.

Is there data to support that drug use is increasing? I feel like I've seen more reports of it but would be curious if there is data released anywhere? (e.g. num of athletes caught by USADA broken down by sport, etc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty interesting article, and the reader comments are even more on point.

Is it that different from the amgen-sponsored Tour of Calif?

And then, I think, how many USAT age group athletes are even tested? We all know that the numbers are very, very, very low. Heck, half the AG (male) field could be on low-T therapy and nobody would be the wiser ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, what is the difference in this, compared to the tri magazines that have the advertisements for the EPO like stuff?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
So, what is the difference in this, compared to the tri magazines that have the advertisements for the EPO like stuff?

One is an actual banned substance, the other is a totally legal substance with a distasteful marketing strategy.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

One is an actual banned substance, the other is a totally legal substance with a distasteful marketing strategy.

That may be true, but still, having the magazines lower themselves to taking the money just really really shows very very few walk their talk!!!!!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Surprised I didn't see any posts about this after USATAGNC... [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

And then, I think, how many USAT age group athletes are even tested? We all know that the numbers are very, very, very low. Heck, half the AG (male) field could be on low-T therapy and nobody would be the wiser ...

The Amgen thing is debatable. I'm probably biased here because Amgen is the largest employer in my hometown of Thousand Oaks, and I have lots of friends who work there. A lot of folks have speculated that the ToC sponsorship was a "penance" of sorts on the part of Amgen for the abuse of EPO. It's hard to know how much money Amgen might have actually made from "off-label" use of EPO by athletes, and I've heard both that it was substantial and that it was minimal, and I have truly no idea what to believe.

I do know that Amgen eventually helped to develop some of the tests that were used by various labs to detect exogenous EPO in both blood and urine. As well as tests for some of their other drugs. There was a clamor for a while that they should have put some sort of easily detectable marker in it, but i gather that this would have then required going through the FDA approval process all over again.

I have no real idea what of this is true and what is just hearsay, so I'd direct you to this article: http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ership-with-cycling/

However, I will say that Amgen has never taken out ads - like Cenegenics does, for example - in airline magazines or on other sites advertising, "Do you have low RBC? Epogen is for you!"

Beyond that, I think Dr. Elliott's reply to the question posed is pretty starkly different from the sort of reply that NuMale made to my article...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So AMGEN, the Elephant gets a pass, but these guys (little mice trying to squeeze a buck) do not?

You can't pick and chose.

AMGEN has the power/moneys to make their product detectable and made the deliberate decision to just 'donate' a little fraction of their profits to develop better tests (more a publicity stunt than anything).

I guess it is all about who makes the money (share holders).

No affiliation with either company, and would not consider to hold stock/work for each of them in any form or function.

Rappstar wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

The Amgen thing is debatable. I'm probably biased here because Amgen is the largest employer in my hometown of Thousand Oaks, and I have lots of friends who work there. A lot of folks have speculated that the ToC sponsorship was a "penance" of sorts on the part of Amgen for the abuse of EPO. It's hard to know how much money Amgen might have actually made from "off-label" use of EPO by athletes, and I've heard both that it was substantial and that it was minimal, and I have truly no idea what to believe.

I do know that Amgen eventually helped to develop some of the tests that were used by various labs to detect exogenous EPO in both blood and urine. As well as tests for some of their other drugs. There was a clamor for a while that they should have put some sort of easily detectable marker in it, but i gather that this would have then required going through the FDA approval process all over again.

I have no real idea what of this is true and what is just hearsay, so I'd direct you to this article: http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ership-with-cycling/

However, I will say that Amgen has never taken out ads - like Cenegenics does, for example - in airline magazines or on other sites advertising, "Do you have low RBC? Epogen is for you!"

Beyond that, I think Dr. Elliott's reply to the question posed is pretty starkly different from the sort of reply that NuMale made to my article...
Quote Reply

Prev Next