Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Surly Cross Check sizing
Quote | Reply
I keep reading Cross Checks fit big but I'm wondering how big.

If you have one, how do you find it fits? I'm 193cm and can't find a 60cm near me but there are a couple of 58s.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Surly Cross Check sizing [workinprogress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dont call me shirley
Quote Reply
Re: Surly Cross Check sizing [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean probably best just to try one out and see, but it could work. I'm 6'1"/185cm and felt a little too stretched out on a 58cm. It had an odd combo of a long top tube, but very short head tube. Needed a short stem but big stack of headset spacers. Eventually sold it because I personally never fit quite right on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Surly Cross Check sizing [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6' and have a surly straggler in 58. I prefer long and low and stretched.
I have little legs. Try before you buy if you can
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Crosscheck is 2 cm smaller then my Specialized Roubaix and fits just about the same in regards to standover height. The reach is about the same but I think the Crosscheck has a slightly longer stem for the handlebar. The biggest thing I hate about the Crosscheck is the toe overlap. Now some people will tell you don't worry about that because it won't bother you at normal riding speeds. However, if you are going to be using it for something like a dirt road bike or riding some easy trails with tight turns it can be a problem. Quite often I'll want to turn around on a narrow road and have to pay attention to not catch my toes on the front wheel. I wear a size 10 shoe.

The other issue with the Crosscheck is the horizontal rear dropouts. They can make adjusting the rear wheel a real pain. It can be done it's just not as easy as most other bikes and some people find they need to buy the special rear wheel adjuster.

I wanted a cyclocross bike for riding dirt and easy trails and had all the parts but the frame which is why I went with the Crosscheck. I like the ride the steel gives but due to the above mentioned issues I'd probably go with something else next time. That said there are people that really love them.
Quote Reply
Re: Surly Cross Check sizing [Daydreamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like my straggler but the rear drop outs. Grrrr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 58cm Cross Check that I use as my commuter. I'm 6'1" / 36" inseam and fits fine. I bought the frame-set and built it up myself so can't really comment on the off the shelf sizing, although it does seem a bit "long" so I have a shorter stem. Otherwise its a great no-nonsense bike.
Quote Reply