Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sure They Cheat in Triathlon, Don't You?
Quote | Reply
If you think there's no cheating in our sport you're just not paying attention. You're naive. Oh sure, the pros used to take all kinds of things to win just like the Tour de France, you say. That's the NFL, man. Are you sure?

Today's blog post http://bit.ly/1wU7jHR begins to cover this topic and I more than welcome your feedback. Like the TSA says, "If you see something, say something."

This is not a condemnation of our sport nor does it say that everyone cheats. They don't. You don't. But if you'll look at these examples, perhaps contribute one example that you've seen, together we can make triathlon better. I thank you.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Sure They Cheat in Triathlon, Don't You? [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay, more click bait.
Quote Reply
Re: Sure They Cheat in Triathlon, Don't You? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Yay, more click bait.

yeah, "FIFTH-AND-A-HALF-THING" and all that.
Quote Reply
Re: Sure They Cheat in Triathlon, Don't You? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps to some degree. But if known examples of "smart" guys breaking the rules are made known, maybe the window of opportunity is narrowed and the sport better for it. At least that's what I think. I appreciate your input.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Copy and paste and maybe more will read it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying!
Quote Reply
Re: Sure They Cheat in Triathlon, Don't You? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm way off base, but I don't copy and paste because it seems that I'm taking advantage of someone else's forum. I know that ST and my blog are both done without money so there'd be no financial advantage. And you're right, it would reach a wider audience. That said, the last one I posted this way had well over 1,000 views. I wonder what Herbert or Jordan would think.

Thanks,

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, they've already said what they think and posted it on the forum rules:

FIFTH-AND-A-HALF THING: Linking/sharing material that you created - e.g., linking to a blog post of YOURS. Please do NOT use this forum strictly as a source of traffic for your website, blog, etc. If you want to link to your blog, please do so in your signature ONLY; please do not start posts of the form, "hey check out this article that I wrote over here..." If you wish to engender discussion on this forum about something that you wrote elsewhere (your blog, your high school newspaper, whatever), please be aware that it will be allowed to stand or not at our discretion. A lot of this will be totally subjective, based on how long you've been a member, how often you link to your own outside content, etc. There's no hard-and-fast rule for what's allowed and what's not. Basically, if it seems that the primary reason for posting is to direct traffic away from this site and to yours, we will pull it. If it seems the primary reason for you posting it is to talk about it here, we'll probably leave it.

Powered by Dalzell Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Derp
Quote Reply
Re: Sure They Cheat in Triathlon, Don't You? [jsiege11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect. Thank you so much.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You contribute nothing here except spam. You're very presence here reeks of ulterior motives and makes me sick.
Quote Reply
Re: Sure They Cheat in Triathlon, Don't You? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
You contribute nothing here except spam. You're very presence here reeks of ulterior motives and makes me sick.

I agree.

Just post your article John. I have read a few of your things and I think you are pretty interesting and smart. But play by the forum rules. Otherwise you are a....cheater.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you only post links to your blog and respond to posts about your blog posts? or is that simply 96% of what you do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So....are you going to copy and paste so we can read it?

Of course you don't get paid that way...
Quote Reply
Re: Sure They Cheat in Triathlon, Don't You? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. I'd expect I've answered several hundred ST'ers over the years with various medical issues when they can't find a resource at home. A week doesn't go by without an e-mail from someone I've never met but since they've taken the time to ask, I take the time to answer. Sorry I wasn't on top of all the ST rules. Now I understand will do my best to contribute in the way I know best.

thanks for taking the time to help me with this format.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not here to bitch that you linked your site. Even though it's obvious cheating. I've seen tons of cheating over the years of all types. I boycotted my local sprint for 4 years due to rampant cheating and no enforcement of rules. It is in the nature of some people to lie to themselves and those around them. I have no natural talent for tri so I'm racing against myself. There's no point in cheating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I clicked.
I read.

Nothing real earth shattering...
Actually not even sure I understand your point
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry but I think you should post what you want to talk about right here instead of having me click on your website. That is what this forum is after all....

And I don't think anyone on this board doesn't think there isn't cheating in triathlon. At the very least anyone who has done an Ironman race knows what goes on.
m~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I am the dissenting voice.

I thought it was a pretty interesting blog post and I'm glad it was posted here, otherwise I would have been very unlikely to have read it.
Quote Reply
Re: Sure They Cheat in Triathlon, Don't You? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:

I'm sure people here have nothing better to do than to run a long time, credible poster of the forum, right into the ground.
If you are sick, maybe you should go see a doctor...much like the one you just verbally attacked.
Quote Reply
Re: Sure They Cheat in Triathlon, Don't You? [ScrapIronSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScrapIronSteve wrote:
T-wrecks wrote:

I'm sure people here have nothing better to do than to run a long time, credible poster of the forum, right into the ground.
If you are sick, maybe you should go see a doctor...much like the one you just verbally attacked.

I would but he's not in my plan. Sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnpostmd wrote:
Nope. I'd expect I've answered several hundred ST'ers over the years with various medical issues when they can't find a resource at home. A week doesn't go by without an e-mail from someone I've never met but since they've taken the time to ask, I take the time to answer. Sorry I wasn't on top of all the ST rules. Now I understand will do my best to contribute in the way I know best.

thanks for taking the time to help me with this format.

John

Really it's not just the "rules" of this particular forum. It's common courtesy to not spam clickbait you created. It's a dick move in pretty much any forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boy....you all are a tough crowd! Although I do see the irony of a post about breaking the rules....that itself breaks forum rules ; ). But no big deal. I do think this is a discussion worth having often. Those who have an interest in this sport should be very interested in protecting the integrity of races, all races. However, protecting this integrity costs money, and people are always complaining about race fees. Can't have it all. Which is more important? If you could do a 1/2 IM with no chip timing, no race marshalls and everything was on the honor system, but let's say it would cost $75 to enter. Would you do it?

Alternatively, are there ways to help to protect the integrity of races that does not increase costs?

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: Sure They Cheat in Triathlon, Don't You? [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was shocked by the account of the age groupers having epo in their fridge, but maybe I am too naive.
Quote Reply
Re: Sure They Cheat in Triathlon, Don't You? [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drdan wrote:
I was shocked by the account of the age groupers having epo in their fridge, but maybe I am too naive.

I saw anabolic steriods sweep through gyms in the 80s. Most were guys just trying to look good for spring break. Not surprising about age groupers using EPO.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply

Prev Next