Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Superfrog swim
Quote | Reply
Anybody has any tips for the swim - I am not quite familiar with getting through the surf for the swim entry.

Is there any coach I can connect with to help or give some pointers next week? Perhaps a session mid week or something.

I am in northern cali and have lot of experience swimming in the ocean but just not swimming through the surf.
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog swim [tectweaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tectweaker wrote:
Anybody has any tips for the swim - I am not quite familiar with getting through the surf for the swim entry.

Is there any coach I can connect with to help or give some pointers next week? Perhaps a session mid week or something.

I am in northern cali and have lot of experience swimming in the ocean but just not swimming through the surf.

I'm assuming you don't live in coastal Northern California then? When do you get down to San Diego? Where will you be staying?

Not a coach, just a decade of experience as an ocean lifeguard, + 35 + years of surfing..

If you want to meet me any morning this upcoming week before the race, I can show you technique to get through the surf. It's not hard.

Or better yet, just go do a few in and outs from the beach through the Surfline. Dive under the waves this is the big thing. Dolphin between the waves as long as you can touch the bottom

And maybe focus on shuffling your feet, stingrays are thick this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good info from DaveJustDave listed. One surprising difference for surf entries for me was how much more difficult it was for me to get under the waves due to wetsuit buoyancy, also have to swim faster ( stroke rate) so you can push thru the wash.

Also seek out social media pages from Tri clubs in the area like Tri Club San Diego, Ride Triathlon Team, Endurance House, and also Post to IronmanSuperfrog page to see what other resources, events or public Facebook groups are out there.
have a great race!
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog swim [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the pointers - really helpful.

Dave - I will pm you to see it I can connect with you and take you up on your great offer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing about Imperial Beach is that the waves are usually not powerful/huge, but they come at a very high frequency. So while with most surf entries you may need to dive under 2-3 waves tops, there you may need to do 5-6 to get past the breakers. It is quite exhausting, and you will have to do it twice, the second time after a jog on the hard sand. Keep that in mind.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply