Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Super League Coverage
Quote | Reply
I would have thought to see some discussion or front page coverage on this event. I admit to being a long course bias person but find this event exciting to watch and can see it's spectator appeal drawing some potential new people to the sport (to watch at least)

And the coverage is actually pretty good on a relative basis to what I'm use to with M-dot. Which we should appreciate is tough to do with the length of those events - which is why I find super league of interest. I actually watch the entire broadcast !
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Coverage [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canuck1 wrote:
I would have thought to see some discussion or front page coverage on this event. I admit to being a long course bias person but find this event exciting to watch and can see it's spectator appeal drawing some potential new people to the sport (to watch at least)

And the coverage is actually pretty good on a relative basis to what I'm use to with M-dot. Which we should appreciate is tough to do with the length of those events - which is why I find super league of interest. I actually watch the entire broadcast !

+1

It seems like some sort of bias, nothing on the front page at all for one of the top field / highest paying events of the year.

We do get IM Italy, though, with its' field of mostly unknowns.

The racing was really good, coverage excellent.

Best of all was the commentary from A Brownlee - he seemed to know all the althletes really well in terms of strengths and weaknesses, and spent a lot of time explaining the tactics and giving insights.

I don't get the long distance obsession.
Last edited by: bluefever: Sep 24, 17 1:01
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Coverage [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canuck1 wrote:

There is a write-up in the front page.
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Coverage [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coverage was very good - except for the parts of the bike course where the moto bike camera was only 1 - 2 metres in front of the lead cyclist - but lots of other cameras to cover the short loop bike course - they did a very good job of covering the elimination drama of who was going to make top 15, then top 10.

Camera work, commentary, format, the actual racing with tactics, challenging courses all good stuff.

On day one, the runners had a real advantage - the group mostly stayed together in the swim and bike, making it a runners race. Then round 2 started with a run, so they got to extend their lead even further and the outcome became obvious, so not so much drama there.

I'd be interested in seeing a s - b - r - s - b - r, but no 10 minute break between.

More Super League please. Especially during Oct - Feb when WTS is off-season.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Coverage [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree 100% on Ali Brownlee's commentary. He held nothing back, was 100% honest, made fun of himself, his brother, and many others... It was refreshing...

I love watching super sprint racing, no place to hide and makes for a good show. It was nice to have the ladies race in there, they were more vicious in the swim than the guys, which is apparently normal, but you rarely get to see...

In terms of the event itself, they needed a better solution for the matting, that taped seem was the cause of several of the crashes in the ladies races on day 2 when it got wet... (should consider a 2 narrow pieces and one wide piece instead of two pieces, and put the wide one down the middle in the riding lane, and put the seams at the perimeter...)

They need real officials, not their own officials... the number of violations I could clearly see on the TV was brutal (not to mention some short time penalties (like maybe 5s for those distances) would amp up the drama...)... I saw one flagrant helmet violation in the ladies day 2, stage 2... virtually every athlete would have gotten a penalty for grabbing the fence to turn on the run at the 180 outside of the T-zone (it's illegal to grab a fixed object to help navigate a turn, there were only a few who actually made the effort to not grab it), not to mention there were a plethora of mount/dismount penalties across the races). Not to mention the officials would have told the motos to get the hell out of the way... Jonny Brownlee and Nicola Spirig both nearly got crashed in the corners because the motos can't handle them as fast, not to mention they were changing the race by driving too close to the athletes and towing people away... with a circuit that short, you could easily rig a cable system for the cameras without risking interfering with the race or causing crashes (or fly offset drones to film)...

Otherwise, the racing was entertaining, would like to see some of the other event formats in there as well, but it was great watching...
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Coverage [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get the long distance obsession.

Collectively over maybe a 10 - 15 year run, blame most of the media in the sport of triathlon in North America - even I admit guilt with this, with my indirect roll in the media - for an OVER concentration on long distance triathlon racing and, specifically the IRONMAN branded races.

I sense the tide is subtlety starting to turn - more interest in shorter races, more interest in alternative races (Ottillo, gravel etc . .), but it's hard to turn a large ship that has been sailing along in the same direction for 10 - 15 years!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Coverage [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally agree on Ali - best triathlon commentator I've ever heard. Hands down. So much insight and passion!

I also agree on some of the course issues. Hopefully they learn from it.

I give zero f's about the refs, personally. Did nothing to impede my enjoyment.

I love the cut off drama of day 2, especially the second race when Kanute was on the bubble! He was very impressive - even Ali noticed.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply