Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suggestions for removing a stuck bottom bracket
Quote | Reply

I have an older model QR Seduza with a mega exo bottom bracket. I have the proper tool for installing/removing the bottom bracket. The bottom bracket is stuck. I guess that years of use with perspiration, road gunk, and non existent care have sealed it in place. I used a thin blade to scrap away the dried 'stuff' that was on it, sprayed silicone lube on several times without success. I am turning it the proper direction, I have tried to remove both the right side and the left side. I have used a mallet lightly on the tool but it will not budge.

I would like to do this myself rather than take it to the shop. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for removing a stuck bottom bracket [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mallet not lightly combined with brutal profanity.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for removing a stuck bottom bracket [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Perhaps add some alcohol? For me, not the bb.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hit the tool very hard with a hammer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use a heat gun
Then Leverage, make a cheater bar
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for removing a stuck bottom bracket [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Clutch Cargo:

All I have is a hand held hair drier; would that be enough do you think?

Jim @ Beyond:

I tried that also. I hit the bb tool with a hammer hard enough that I thought that I might damage the bike! Still stuck.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

I have an older model QR Seduza with a mega exo bottom bracket. I have the proper tool for installing/removing the bottom bracket. The bottom bracket is stuck. I guess that years of use with perspiration, road gunk, and non existent care have sealed it in place. I used a thin blade to scrap away the dried 'stuff' that was on it, sprayed silicone lube on several times without success. I am turning it the proper direction, I have tried to remove both the right side and the left side. I have used a mallet lightly on the tool but it will not budge.

I would like to do this myself rather than take it to the shop. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Remove the wheels, then put the bb tool into the bottom bracket, holding it in with a length of threaded rod so you can tighten it up enough so the splines wont slip. It will stop you pulling at an angle too.

Remove wheels, then mount removal tool in a benchvice.

Turn frame. The extra leverage should get it shifting. Then slacken the threaded rod off to enable the cup to unscrew.
Once out, clean threads and copperslip before inserting new bb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't break the frame. Hit it harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Soak it in PB Blaster for a couple days, that stuff works very well for breaking corrosion.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for removing a stuck bottom bracket [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have applied Liquid Wrench:

https://www.liquidwrench.com/product/silicone-spray/

several times and allowed it to sit. Is PB Blaster better?

I can get PB Blaster at Lowes this afternoon which is only 3km from here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:
I have applied Liquid Wrench:

https://www.liquidwrench.com/product/silicone-spray/

several times and allowed it to sit. Is PB Blaster better?

I can get PB Blaster at Lowes this afternoon which is only 3km from here.

Your lever is not long enough. I bought a 3 ft piece of 1 1/2" steel tube from the hardware store for this. I wrapped one end to create a handle & the end of the BB tool goes in the other end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:
I am turning it the proper direction,

First things first. Just to double check that part......Doing this correctly means you're trying to turn the drive side clockwise and the non-drive side counterclockwise. This is the opposite of how you would loosen pedals on those respective sides. I've seen several owners who were under the impression the the BB and pedals loosened by turning in the same direction.

As others have said you need more leverage. A 2 foot lever arm ought to be enough to do the trick. I keep a piece of pipe around that slips over the handle of my ratchet wrench that always works the trick.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for removing a stuck bottom bracket [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I looked at youtube first to see how it is done. I was able to remove it but I had to resort to a pipe wrench. I am replacing the entire bb so salvaging it was not a concern.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you got it off.

I've dealt with some tough BB's over the years. I have a 30" breaker bar and I have yet to come across a BB or bolt that can withstand it. ...Using a hammer on a standard wrench is a joke in comparison.

Well worth the $30: https://www.princessauto.com/...aker-bar/A-p8609000e
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for removing a stuck bottom bracket [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
Glad to hear you got it off.

I've dealt with some tough BB's over the years. I have a 30" breaker bar and I have yet to come across a BB or bolt that can withstand it. ...Using a hammer on a standard wrench is a joke in comparison.

Well worth the $30: https://www.princessauto.com/...aker-bar/A-p8609000e

Once you use this or increase your leverage another way, you'll wonder why you ever tried to remove a bb any other way.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for removing a stuck bottom bracket [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have taken apart a thousand bikes and have never had a problem with a standard bottom bracket tool and a hammer.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for removing a stuck bottom bracket [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I have taken apart a thousand bikes and have never had a problem with a standard bottom bracket tool and a hammer.

Breaker bar is the more elegant tool, though. If you're a "use the proper tool" guy.

Nothing wrong with being an "eff it, I'm gettin' out the hammer" guy, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you got it out. I typically use the BB tool and a rubber mallet. One LBS around here uses a pneumatic impact wrench for the stubborn BB's. They helped me out of this exact situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for removing a stuck bottom bracket [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you have. That doesn't mean it's the best, or easiest approach.
Quote Reply