Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suggestions for first tri bike
Quote | Reply
The subject line says it all. You all should have plenty of input on this. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------
Existence precedes Essence.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for first tri bike [rodio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as long as the fit is good...get a used one from Ebay. Seriously..for a first timer who isn't sure if they'll race again this time next year I'd buy something inexpensive off Ebay. No recommendations as to make or model...just has to fit (close to where you need it..shelling out for a proper fit might be a bit over the edge too).
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for first tri bike [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the input. I'm not on the fence about racing next year. I've got three races in the bag this year, with a fourth still to come. I'm planning on 5-6 races next year, including a couple HIM. I realize it might sound like I'm jumping into it a little bit quick, but I'm looking for a new bike. I know that there seems to be an anti-Cervelo bent on the boards here, but the Dual looks like a great bike and I've heard great things. I'm also looking into the Trek Equinox 7. In general, though, I would like some thoughts.

----------------------------------------------------------
Existence precedes Essence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the only anti-Cervelo going on is usually me..and I mostly do it to rib the Cerveloites the wrong way...honest guys...there are other bikes out there. Now..that said they do make awesome bikes and the dual is a very good option. Allows you to ride both tri and road positions with just a little tweaking. Don't know enough about the Trek to make an opinion (like I know enough about any bike outside my Softride) but if given the choice..and both fit me well..and were in the same financial ballpark. I'd go with the Cervelo..if nothing else it will earn you bonus points on the forum just for owning it.

I secretly lust over their bikes..just have to be the fly in the ointment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't be discouraged, drop some coin, it's good for business! ST is a Cervelo love fest, so much so that some people here are starting to gag on it....it is without a doubt a premier tri bike brand...I ride a Cervelo P2C because I wanted a carbon bike....the Dual is arguably one of the best deals in the $2K range.....there are other good bikes, but you can't go wrong with Cervelo....

----------------------------------------
I ride a Cervelo...get over it....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titan-Flex.

If not get fit, and buy the one that fits with the least tweaking.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

Quote | Reply
May I further recommend the Cervelo brand for a variety of reasons:

* Damn fine bikes
* Good price point (at least for the Dual or Soloist Team)
* Lots at the races so: you fit in and at least look fast (and that is, unfortunately, important to lots - might as well be honest)
* Good resale value as they are sought after used
* Less apt to have "bike envy" and do something stupid, like selling your perfect good current bike, to get one
* Get to joint the Cervelo Mafia :)

Quote | Reply
I have a friend in a similar situation. He is just getting back into to it after a 15 year lay off (and about 80 lbs). I would ride all the bikes you can. Go for FIT. I know the LBS will say they can make it fit, but it has to feel really close before they can do that. Then, I would go to ebay and see if you can find it there. I think Felt makes some nice entry level bikes for a decent price, but a lot of other companies are competitive.

I want a Cervelo P2C, but I will test ride one before I spend a penny on a bike that must last me many years.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Cervelo One as my first tri bike. It was esentially the precursor to the Dual albiet with Shimano 105 components rather than the Duel's Dura Ace. It remains my only tri bike - still have it, still love it. Glad I bought it. The only thing I ever long for would be better components and the Duel's got 'em.

If the frame fits you, you can't go wrong with the Dual.
Last edited by: Iron Buckeye: Aug 6, 06 19:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i raced the dual as my first try bike and loved it, also have rode the equinox 7 and liked the dual much more, i think you get a lot more for what you pay for. with a wheel upgrade its almost as fast as anything youc an pay under 3500 for, very nice bike and loved mine.

Quote Reply