Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suggestions for Rx swim goggles for sunny days
Quote | Reply
I have been using Tyr or Sporti Rx goggles for a couple of years for everything. Smoke for sunny days and blue or clear for everthing else including indoor. In preparation for IMWI I tried swimming early in the morning directly into the sun and could not see anythning due to glare. My teammmates use polarized or mirrored goggles but I have not found anything like that with built in Rx. I use +2.0. I hate contact lenses and wear prescription sunglasses for bike and run. My eyesight is almost good enough to go without an Rx - but almost could mean swimming towards an orange kayak vs. a buoy. Suggestions? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for Rx swim goggles for sunny days [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwisconsin wrote:
I have been using Tyr or Sporti Rx goggles for a couple of years for everything. Smoke for sunny days and blue or clear for everthing else including indoor. In preparation for IMWI I tried swimming early in the morning directly into the sun and could not see anythning due to glare. My teammmates use polarized or mirrored goggles but I have not found anything like that with built in Rx. I use +2.0. I hate contact lenses and wear prescription sunglasses for bike and run. My eyesight is almost good enough to go without an Rx - but almost could mean swimming towards an orange kayak vs. a buoy. Suggestions? Thanks.

I recently switched to the Sporti b/c of repeat failures with the Speedo Vanquisher nose piece attachment and dry rotting of soft rubber. So odd been on them for years and then all of a sudden they were breaking in weeks must have dropped 100 on them over last winter. That said I do notice a bit more sun glare with my Sporti's than the Speedos. So, if you have not tried the Vanquisher maybe it's worth a shot, but beware I went through 4 pairs in about 3-4 months.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for Rx swim goggles for sunny days [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
nickwisconsin wrote:

I recently switched to the Sporti b/c of repeat failures with the Speedo Vanquisher nose piece attachment and dry rotting of soft rubber. So odd been on them for years and then all of a sudden they were breaking in weeks must have dropped 100 on them over last winter. That said I do notice a bit more sun glare with my Sporti's than the Speedos. So, if you have not tried the Vanquisher maybe it's worth a shot, but beware I went through 4 pairs in about 3-4 months.

Tried the vanquishers briefly then switched to sporti and tyr. The sportis are great goggles until you get that glare from the sun. I am not the best open water swimmer so adding yards zig zagging is not in my best interest. LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for Rx swim goggles for sunny days [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A handy friend of mine actually did the following: get a pair of your favorite goggles, and cut the front face off of it (leaving the sides intact). Take a pair of your subscription sunglasses and (you guessed it) cut them to fit inside your goggles, and hot glue the glass fragment into your goggles. He is a lot more blind than you are.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for Rx swim goggles for sunny days [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
A handy friend of mine actually did the following: get a pair of your favorite goggles, and cut the front face off of it (leaving the sides intact). Take a pair of your subscription sunglasses and (you guessed it) cut them to fit inside your goggles, and hot glue the glass fragment into your goggles. He is a lot more blind than you are.

Is his name MacGyver? That is pretty cool.

I was actually thinking of building my own Lasik device so I could do my own eye surgery and correct my vision, but don't have enough time to do it before IMWI. ;)
Quote Reply