Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suggestions for Entry Level Tri Bikes
Quote | Reply
Anyone have recommendations for entry level tri bikes? I've seen recommendations for the Cannondale Slice but I've also seen where there are some concerns that Cannondale is fading in the tri scene.

Basic budget will be around 3K or less so I can't get too far up the food chain.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

J
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for Entry Level Tri Bikes [Tri_JC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMC TMO2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(Caveat: this is my opinion.) Felt B14 and Specialized Shiv Sport are the low cost value kings. The Felt IA16 is the performance leader at $3K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt B-series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Used. With a $3000 budget you can very well with a lightly used bike. Check the classifieds. You might even be able to get a good set of wheels along with it.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo P2 is the go to entry level bike. I would also look at Canyon Speedmax 7.0. You can get a Cervelo on close out for $2200 and the Speedmax is $2500. For $3000 you can upgrade both with a crank based power meter. There are other good choices but those are the popular ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was recently in a similar situation. Started with a pre-purchase fitting, with hopes that I'd be able to find a used bike for a good deal. Quickly realized that by the time I did necessary maintenance and made changes that I wanted for fit (seat, bars, shorter cranks, etc.), I was going to exceed my budget or spend just as much as a new bike that, again, would need some changes for fit and exceed the budget . . .

Ended up purchasing a (new) closeout Argon 18 E-116 frame that was a couple years old and had it built to my specs. Spent a little over 2k in all, including fit and build (I didn't have to buy wheels), and got to choose every part of the build based on what I wanted. May not be the latest and greatest, but I'm very happy with my decision.

I don't see this recommended often, but it worked for me.

That said, I still think the best "deals" can be found by purchasing used, especially if you have a large local market. You just might have to be a little less picky than I was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervélo P2. Best bang for the buck: you get the excellent frame of the P3, which is easy to service, with extensive adjustability, a comfortable saddle (ISM), comfortable armpads, and reliable Shimano 105 5800 components.

- The Architect -
"If you don't die executing my training plan this year you'll be much faster" -- My coach
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for Entry Level Tri Bikes [TheArchitect] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you’re buying new for under $3K, I also like the Cervelo P2. I’d also look at the Shiv. My wife has a P2 and I have a Speed Concept 7.5. I think my SC concept is more aerodynamic, but the P2 definitely has the advantage when it comes to ease of working on and adjusting the bike. Plus, the P2 looks pretty easy to upgrade and tinker with down the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for Entry Level Tri Bikes [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

Used. With a $3000 budget you can very well with a lightly used bike. Check the classifieds. You might even be able to get a good set of wheels along with it.

I agree with this. As much as I love lots of the new models of entry level bike, you can get much more bang for your buck on a lightly used bike. Race wheels, power meter, upgraded tires, or all of the above, can be in play with a 3k budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When did "Entry Level" become $3K?
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for Entry Level Tri Bikes [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you started talking about a premium product for a niche sport. If you actually want entry level, buy a road bike and clip-ons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

US$3K seems to be the going rate of base model TT bikes in Australia. I'm assuming the likes of P2s and TM02s are being classified as entry level as they are the lowest in their range?

Anyway I've had 2 x P2s, great bike, 3rd TT bike ended up being a TM02, just looked a lot better than the new P2, was cheaper and is better to ride. Heidi looks like a $10K bike when she has her race wheels on. Well it does to me anyway?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

From a new bike standpoint, $3K is a lot closer to the bottom end of the price range than the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

I suppose you could consider companies like Ribble and PlanetX

https://www.ribblecycles.com/au/ribble-aero-tt-matt-black/ - $1700

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSPRIV3/planet-x-stealth-sram-rival-11-time-trial-bike $1400

Both using Chinese sourced frames I think? One of the top amateurs AGers in my area was using a PX bike, so can't be too bad.

Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for Entry Level Tri Bikes [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a new Blue Triad for about $1,200 shipped from mybikeshop.com during Black Friday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know there are bikes out there for under 2K, but I went to a trusted bike fitter this weekend and walkout with a FELT IA16 and a Retul fit for under 3K, more than I was planning to spend but I am more than satisfied and got enough bike for the rest of my life, just my two cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cannondale Slice is a sweet bike; great value, easy to service.
Used Cervelo P2 as well.
Kestrel Talon is under-rated, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for Entry Level Tri Bikes [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

Right at $3k I got this IA14 with the Boyds and a pair of training wheels.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply