Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sudden Knee Pain / Locking
Quote | Reply
I am relatively new to tri bikes (had a roadie for years), and recently purchased a P2. I had a poor bike fit at the shop, and ended up fitting the bike myself with one of those bike fit apps. Went with the standard angles (high 140s max knee, 90-95 hip angle, high 70s seat tube angle, etc). The first few hundred miles were great after doing so, and I really loved the bike.

The only pain I had was tightness in my right hip. Because of the tightness, I kept kicking my right knee out to the side, and it would get a bit sore after 40 or so miles. None of this surprised me, as I hurt my hip a few months ago (ahem) falling off an RV. I gave it time and focused on how that knee tracked through my pedal stroke, and both the hip tightness and right knee pain went away.

Fast forward to last Sunday. I was 70 miles into an 80 mile ride, and i started to feel a vague tightness in my left knee (opposite knee from where the earlier discomfort had been). two miles later, that knee almost locked up entirely. I nursed it home, and laid off the bike until today. 6 miles into the ride, same thing - vague tightness that accelerated quickly into difficulty moving the knee. The pain isn't at the front of my knee or at the inside, but somewhere in between (Northeast, if it were a compass). It does sit closer to the knee side protrusion than it does to the front of my patella.

I am convinced it has something to do with fit. I have no problem running, even immediately after hopping off the bike. I have accelerated my mileage quite a bit, but don't think it is overuse because its fine during these other activities. I am racing IM Muskoka at the end of August, and am getting a bit freaked out. Any tips on tweaking the fit? Happy to post pics / measurements if that helps. I did try raising my saddle by 7-8mm, which seemed to help a small amount. However, doing so put a bit more lateral motion into my hips. Thoughts?
Last edited by: jcr7u: Jul 30, 15 19:19
Quote Reply