Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Subject & Thread Etiquette: Two Requests
Quote | Reply
Two requests on the matter of subject lines

1) As in many forums, the discussion within a thread often moves on to a completely different topic. In other forums, it's standard practice to edit the original subject line to reflect this. For Example, an edited subject line might read "Which wheel for IMLP (Now, Disc vs. Wheel Cover)" Dev did this the other day and it was a refreshing change.

2) Can we please stop the teaser subject lines, such as "Is there anything more dangerous than...?" This is annoying and fairly juvenile. As a matter of prinicple, I now longer click on these, but I know that won't accomplish much.

I'm pretty sure my pleas will go unanswered, but I figured I'd give it a try. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Subject & Thread Etiquette: Two Requests [Large] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure my pleas will go unanswered

I'm pretty sure your pleas will cause a new rash of threads doing exactly what you asked posters not to do! Tongue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never realized these were big problems on the forum. Sometimes a thread moves to 2,3, 4 simultaneous subthreads. how do you edit the subject line to capture everything.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Will you please... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quit yer bitchin!

Sorry, had to.
Quote Reply
Re: It's the republicans fault [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need a new bike, any reccomendations? ;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: It's the republicans fault [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Classic!

Hey, the thread title hasn't been changed yet. What gives?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(Drumroll) "And the 2008 award for 'most anal retentive' request goes to......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This is annoying and fairly juvenile.

and we like it that way...this is ST.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Is there anything more anoying than.....[Large] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thread title bitching...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Two requests on the matter of subject lines

1) As in many forums, the discussion within a thread often moves on to a completely different topic. In other forums, it's standard practice to edit the original subject line to reflect this. For Example, an edited subject line might read "Which wheel for IMLP (Now, Disc vs. Wheel Cover)" Dev did this the other day and it was a refreshing change.

2) Can we please stop the teaser subject lines, such as "Is there anything more dangerous than...?" This is annoying and fairly juvenile. As a matter of prinicple, I now longer click on these, but I know that won't accomplish much.

I'm pretty sure my pleas will go unanswered, but I figured I'd give it a try. Thanks.

Ryan
Engineer. Duathlete. Roadie. Human.
CAPA Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your requests are valid in my opinion and point to a larger issue. A lot of people don't realize that writing on an internet forum is, to some small degree, publishing. AS such there are attendent responsibilities or, if not responsibilities, courtesies.

You outline two of them.

Using the forums is a great way to (try to) polish your writing skills and remebering a few civil conventions such as the ones you propose is part of doing that.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Subject & Thread Etiquette: Two Requests [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a larger issue?

The only one who can edit the thread title is the OP? Does the OP have a responsibility to moderate the content of their own thread, and to parse it when it goes off on some tangent? Often, when that happens, there are several tangents that might be discussed. which is the "correct" tangent to change the title to? what if it changes 3 or 4 times, which some of the longer ones will? does the subject line eventually become xxx [was yyy [was zzzz [was abcd]]]? That could get really confusing.

as far as teaser lines go, they aren't that common, and usually relate to a funny story someone is relating (Khai, are you listening??) just like with any other thread, you can click on it or not. I usually avoid the "which wheel" threads because I know what the answers are going to be.

As far as etiquette goes, it is simple. Be courteous, don't deliberately insult others if you do so inadvertently, apologize for it), refrain from ad hominem attacks, remember that emotions are difficult to accurately convey in writing, and all will be right with the universe.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Subject & Thread Etiquette: Two Requests [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking he has never been to the Lavender Room.

;-)

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Subject & Thread Etiquette: Two Requests [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm pretty sure my pleas will go unanswered

I'm pretty sure your pleas will cause a new rash of threads doing exactly what you asked posters not to do! Tongue

No kidding. What was I thinking?
Quote Reply
Re: It's the republicans fault [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Well don't buy one of those Cervelo's I would go either with a Felt, or Lightspeed.

Now if you want a real bike get a Titanflex.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: Aug 24, 08 6:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hijack, but what is everyone having for lunch? ;)

------------
The more I know, the less I understand

You better stay away from him,
He'll rip your lungs out Jim!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that people write to much. They yap on about the same thing and I lose interest. Wish folks could be more specific and direct. I guess in real life it's much like a man discussion versus womens.

Folks need to be more Dragnetesc: "facts, just the facts ma'am".

For lunch, I'm having bean soup and some fresh bread from Panera.

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with request #2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll add one more. For people with the cute signatures, please put some kind of marker before it so I don't continually read through it like it's part of the post, until I get confused and realize it's a signature.
Quote Reply