Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Subaru Vancouver Triathlon July 13, 2014:stories/feedback/result glitches
Quote | Reply
Perfect weather, swim heats civilized, bike route improved for Oly (used to have to endure single-lane zones twice), tons of water/electrolytes, gels,
awards ceremony fast and efficient.

Results glitches: Former 15th overall dude was credited for a 27:01 run in the 10k. A little birdy contacted Sportstats.ca and it's fixed, so we all move up one spot. Woo Hoo!
This moved guy in front of me to 3rd in 45-49 and his well-earned bling. I want to let him know but decided that's his good fortune if he checks the results today.

So, Mike Darud, 3rd in 45-49, you're now 15th overall and 3rd in your age category. And.... you are welcome :) Sincerely, the guy right behind you, too.
Do other Slowtwitchers let timing companies know when you see "glaring errors" or am I being petty? It didn't matter to me per se, not same category by a stretch, but I like to
see my fellow athletes get the bling they earned.

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru Vancouver Triathlon July 13, 2014:stories/feedback/result glitches [zoomrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That heat was intense on the half 20k. Swim seemed slow, everyone I know that typically do under 30m were in the 33-34 range. Currents?
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru Vancouver Triathlon July 13, 2014:stories/feedback/result glitches [vancity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STRONG currents...Those of us in the Oly watched the 1/2 Irons go WAY off course once past the protection of the pier. The lucky ones who hugged the pier got a huge benefit.
We were also happy that the Red Tide that covered much of the inlet and English Bay didn't ooze it's way over to Locarno Beach. Did get one jellyfish to the face, but it didn't "stick around" so it was a very brief affair.

Yes it was HOT, I love hot, but several friends suffered with the 2nd loop of the 1/2 Iron run.

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru Vancouver Triathlon July 13, 2014:stories/feedback/result glitches [zoomrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked the new olympic bike course. It was nice to get rid of the no pass zone along chancellor as in the past I've worked to get ahead of people on the bike only to have them catch back up to me there.
I did find the green buoys in the olympic distance a bit hard to see though.. when I made the turn after the first buoy I could only really make out the yellow marker (for the half) in the distance. The green one sort of blended in to the background.

And yes, I would say the swim was a bit slow. A bit over a minute off of what I've been swimming this year for 1500. Not sure if it was the currents, long course or just me swimming off course.

Otherwise it was a great day with great weather and awesome support. Always fun to race at home

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru Vancouver Triathlon July 13, 2014:stories/feedback/result glitches [vancity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I felt a fairly strong current pulling. It was pushing people inside the buoy line heading out to the first turn. Had to fight to stay on the right side of them… others just went inside. I was about 1:50 slower than my Victoria 70.3 swim for what that is worth, although I did feel like it was a less effortful swim. Maybe the swim was 1:00 slow. The heat was the real kicker on the second half of each run loop… no shade and dusty!
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru Vancouver Triathlon July 13, 2014:stories/feedback/result glitches [Josh Seifarth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great event. Swim was good and I did felt the strong current after the pier but it was too late.
I didn't see a lot of drafting on the bike and I really appreciated the course being that well marked. Road was a bit rough at some points but manageable.
The run (second par tof the loop) with no shade was just too hot.
Kudos to all the volunteers that did an amazing job, especially on the run course, throwing us water to keep cool.
Good event and I'll probably do it again next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru Vancouver Triathlon July 13, 2014:stories/feedback/result glitches [playmobil31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay! Let's all agree it was currents, not training, fitness or sighting issues , that made the swim slower than last year.

A buddy of mine, Mark Shorter, achieved 1/2 Iron provincial and national champion status from winning AG. He is an awesome athlete, accomplished runner with a stellar run race history, a popular coach and all round nice guy. I love it when great people attain greatness in our sport!

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zoomrunner wrote:
Yay! Let's all agree it was currents, not training, fitness or sighting issues , that made the swim slower than last year.

Never said the swim was slower ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru Vancouver Triathlon July 13, 2014:stories/feedback/result glitches [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rj_tri wrote:
I liked the new olympic bike course. It was nice to get rid of the no pass zone along chancellor

This resulted in a huge improvement for the half distance racers as well... atleast for me it did. i never had to slow down for anyone in the no pass zone, unlike last year I was caught behind groups of people on mountain bikes doing the sprint
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru Vancouver Triathlon July 13, 2014:stories/feedback/result glitches [playmobil31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There has to be an anomaly in every crowd :)

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What makes you so sure he didn't run a 27:01 10K you arrogant bastard!!!! Next you're going to try to tell us you're suspicious because he averaged 33 mph on the bike leg.
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru Vancouver Triathlon July 13, 2014:stories/feedback/result glitches [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look, my personal best for stand alone 10k is a 27:04.387.
There's just NO way he's faster than Zoomrunner!

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too be fair, that run course is significantly short.

I didn't race this year, but I remember from last year a very slow swim which was WW3 with a single wave start and a hot but fast run.
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru Vancouver Triathlon July 13, 2014:stories/feedback/result glitches [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was short all right. He only went over the 5k timing mat. Poor guy was probably pooped, dropped out and didn't think of the consequences of not telling someone.

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zoomrunner wrote:
Look, my personal best for stand alone 10k is a 27:04.387.
There's just NO way he's faster than Zoomrunner!

I've heard that sometimes the really fast guys cross the timing mats soooo quickly that they beat the electronics signal and therefore the time isn't recorded. I'll bet that's what happened. Actually, I'm making that up, but it could have happened, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru Vancouver Triathlon July 13, 2014:stories/feedback/result glitches [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do your feet actually touch the ground when you run? Sad little man!

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't race this year, but damn that stretch along the beach (2nd half of the run loop) would have been absolutely cooking this year. I noticed my pace drop significantly as I was being fried like bacon on that stretch.

And last year the swim felt slow too, and exceptionally rough (from contact, not waves).

Overall, Vancouver is a phenomenal race. I love that course and the atmosphere.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru Vancouver Triathlon July 13, 2014:stories/feedback/result glitches [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run it frequently and yes.. it's more like 9.8km for each loop

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does Mark seriously live in Honolulu now?

Quote | Reply
I saw that on the race results too!

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru Vancouver Triathlon July 13, 2014:stories/feedback/result glitches [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rj_tri wrote:
I run it frequently and yes.. it's more like 9.8km for each loop

Yeah thats not a total humble brag on the awesome postal code you live in RJ. :P

Congrats btw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sadly, the half distance race is no longer. got the subaru email today and its now a sprint/olympic only now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's too bad but not much of a surprise... it's a completely unsafe course at 70.3 type numbers.

Shawnigan Lake is still my favourite course (after the old Sooke race, but I live just off the bike course). Cultus Lake Loop and Half Challenge Penticton for me next year. No WTC/Lifesport nonsense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shawnigan ..... beautiful course, but man... those roads are dreadful
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1/2 gone :( No Cheapskate Reg. Package deal either ? What's the Tri World coming to ?

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply

Prev Next