Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Subaru CENTURION The Blue Mountains, Sept 18-20, 2015
Quote | Reply
http://www.centurioncycling.com/...u-centurion-cycling/

Hey all I just wanted to see if there are any others on the forum who'll be taking part in this event. I've never done a Centurion event but I've heard great things. Graham Fraser (the original north america Ironman organizer) is the brain behind it. It looks like a well organized event in a great location here in Ontario. It's a 3 Day Stage Race (TT, Road Race, Crit) to crown the eventual winner. Obviously without a team there is no chance of winning but perhaps an impromptu "Slowtwitch Member" team could reek some havoc? Or maybe just a group of people heading up from Toronto that want to have a hard ride?

Just putting the feeler out there ...

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Sep 3, 15 12:49
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru CENTURION The Blue Mountains, Sept 18-20, 2015 [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would LOVE to do something like this. I think I might be doing a local 10k & then Barelman as part of a relay (if I could find a cyclist - ironic on this thread no less) on that weekend. Thanks for the link. This will be on my calendar for sure next year.

Quote Reply
Re: Subaru CENTURION The Blue Mountains, Sept 18-20, 2015 [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done 3 of the recent years Centurion events- all very well organized, good courses, ok food, good traffic control-all in all an excellent experience. Hope you are wrong about needing a team as I too will be there on my own-I think the biggest challenge will be 1) trying to sort out exactly who you are competing against to win "your" stage race and trying to keep track of them in big mixed packs 2) dealing with the fresh legs of those just doing one of the three events especially on the Sunday (our 3rd race) .

Blue Mtn very scenic luxurious resort so great family weekend as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru CENTURION The Blue Mountains, Sept 18-20, 2015 [old man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was up there last weekend for Wasaga Beach Triathlon and took the liberty of going to Blue Mountain and climbing Gibraltar. What a fun descent! Riding was really nice in the area and it's what planted the seed to do this.

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you come out . . . and anyone else who wants to check it out.

The cycling in the area is amazing. It's a big event with over 3,000 cyclists. The entertainment in the village will be outstanding on Saturday afternoon with Live music from the Powder Blues Band and then in the evening a screening of this awesome cycling movie "Marinoni - The Fire & The Flame" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-nZgOQk_EE

The Blue Mtn Village makes it feel like you are in a small cycling dominated town in Europe.

The The Gran Centurion Stage Race is new this year. If you are new to gran fondo/sportif riding/racing, I would suggest just starting with either the C50 or C100.

Apparently they have a really good guy on the mic at the start and the finish! :)

Racers race and riders ride . . . there is something for everyone at Centurion!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 3, 15 14:28
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru CENTURION The Blue Mountains, Sept 18-20, 2015 [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How'd I know you'd end up on the mic for this event?! You're everywhere all summer long it's impressive to see.

Hoping to make arrangements for travel and if so I'll be there doing the C100 with the guys from Velofix ;)

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How'd I know you'd end up on the mic for this event?! You're everywhere all summer long it's impressive to see.

Thanks, Chris.

It's been a busy year - over 25 races/events so far that I have worked at, and more to go! :)

Look forward to seeing you in Blue Mtn. for Centurion. Please bring some friends.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a great event! I brought folks up from North Carolina to do the Centurion three years in a row and it was the highlight ride of the year each time! Can't do it this year but I plan on bringing more NC riders up next year to experience a beautiful area, a great race and Canadian hospitality!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a great event. I've raced it a handful of times. I'm not doing it this year because I'm heading to Kona. The only downside is they have made the course much easier this year. Blue Mountain Centurion was a great race because of all the climbing in an otherwise flat road racing season in Ontario. They should keep all the climbing - its what seperates this event from the others. Just my two cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck has been that announcing mainstay in Ontario for several years and we are proud he is our series announcer. We had the pleasure of managing all operations for Centurion in 2013 and 2014. Unfortunately we will be producing the RBC Run For Kids in Toronto and Barrelman on the same weekend as Centurion this year and cannot be there this year. Hope everyone who rides will have an incredible day.

John Salt, Founder - MultiSport Canada
Canada's Largest Triathlon Series and Barrelman Niagara Falls
http://www.multisportcanada.com / http://www.niagarafallstriathlon.com
"Discipline Is What You Do When No One Is Watching You"
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru CENTURION The Blue Mountains, Sept 18-20, 2015 [TeJa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's actually proportionately the same vertical as previous years. It is a bit shorter this year though. The Pretty River climb is a long grind -- not steep, but it will wear you down for sure. I'm doing it and am not underestimating it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should be there this year ...done centurion events twice so far and loved them both. Can't run this year so will be back at this race for the 100miler.

Always a relief to hear Fleck's voice at the end!! :)

Duathlete by choice?
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru CENTURION The Blue Mountains, Sept 18-20, 2015 [John Salt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Athletes here in Ontario are spoiled due to all the efforts you two and others have engaged in. It's amazing to see how many high quality events we have to chose from each and every weekend from June to October. The quality of our athletes speak for itself and its credited to guys and gals like you both. Can't thank you guys enough!

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm finalizing my plans and it appears my transportation has fallen through. Are there any other athletes travelling up from Toronto for the C100?

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have entered the "stage race" and the way I read it TT (tri) bars are LEGAL for all the events both the TT and the various road events-disks only in TT but TT bars (tri bikes with spoked wheels) in all the others. Am I missing something??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just signed the wife and myself up for the C100. This will be her first 100 miler. She will suffer!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Subaru CENTURION The Blue Mountains, Sept 18-20, 2015 [old man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have entered the "stage race" and the way I read it TT (tri) bars are LEGAL for all the events both the TT and the various road events-disks only in TT but TT bars (tri bikes with spoked wheels) in all the others. Am I missing something??

Obviously a road bike will be best for anything other than the TT, but yes, tri-bikes and road bikes with clip-on TT bars are allowed in the C25, C50, and C100 events.

If you are riding a TT/Tri bike I would ask that you us common sense and ONLY ride in the aero-bars when you are completely on your own on the course. Thank you.

Quote Reply
Re: Subaru CENTURION The Blue Mountains, Sept 18-20, 2015 [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody know where we can find start lists for all the events and especially start times and order for TT tomorrow night?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apologies for the slight delay - I've been buried for two days at Interbike, back home briefly, before heading up to Blue Mtn myself for Centurion.

Full weekend schedule is here - http://www.centurioncycling.com/...ycling/schedule-213/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to be there for the Sunday ride. I will be in paracycling division. Always enjoy the ride.

There is talk of shortening the Saturday rides if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Stephan
Quote Reply