Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sub9 Disc or 808 back for IMMT
Quote | Reply
Will most likely be running a 404 up front as my only other option is the 1080...a little to big in my opinion.

thoughts on whether to run the disc?

Ryan

Quote Reply
Re: Sub9 Disc or 808 back for IMMT [malfara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Sub9 Disc or 808 back for IMMT [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to the disc or the 1080 front?

Ryan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one uses a 1080 up front

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc, no question. Other then the out and back at the end of the loop, that course screams disc!!!!

I proudly DO NOT post my workouts on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc--sell the 1080 or hang it on the wall.

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub9 Disc or 808 back for IMMT [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know the 1080's are so ridiculous, BUT I have seen a few popping up in the classifieds. If I could grab one for like $300, I may not be able to pass it up. Just looks SO badass. I would rock it in shorter races where I knew the wasn't going to kick up.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc, always the disc unless the RD disallows it!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No disc. I did the IM last year and it can get very windy out on the highway and to/from the highway (and it's hilly). My 2 cents.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub9 Disc or 808 back for IMMT [ironspartan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. I guess it really depends on the individual--heavier types can handle deeper wheels sets better--i'm pretty big. Also, it's a function of your experience on the bike and what kinda stuff you normally ride. The last little steep part at MT was way more challenging to me than the highway but then I ride at the Jersey shore which is flat and windy all the time.

I personally feel that the disc actually provides stability when I match it with a 404 or an 808 upfront. It almost acts like a keel in a sailboat. It moves the center of sideways force from the wind backwards, even behind your center of gravity. When the wind gusts the rear end wants to move but since it's locked I think the wind gets translated into forward proposive force. It's the wind pushing the unlocked front wheel which gives me trouble.

I've actually tested 404/disc, 808/disc, 404/404, 404/808, 808/808 on some windy days here at the Jersey shore and the 808/disc is demonstrably faster and I believe it's more stable--I felt the 404/404 option was the least stable--I'm talking 20+ mph side winds here.

When I did MT70.3 the disc was no problem at all....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub9 Disc or 808 back for IMMT [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Randy...I don't think of you as pretty big! But I do agree with your assessment. I'd drop the 1080 too. The hills at the end of one loop are brutal and disc seems like it could be trouble if windy there. I just got a lot of cross wind on the highway. But I thought Challenge AC cross wind would be bad and it worked out fine in the end. If you know your bike and wheel combo under diff elements, you can practically ride anything anywhere (except a disc in Cozumel!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No question - disc. For any course that will allow it. Even if hilly. Weight penalty is usually offset. Stability in crosswinds is more a factor of the front. The rear wheel is fixed. The front is the one when blown and catches the wind affects steering and causes handling issues.

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I personally feel that the disc actually provides stability when I match it with a 404 or an 808 upfront. It almost acts like a keel in a sailboat. It moves the center of sideways force from the wind backwards, even behind your center of gravity.

+1 I found this especially true with my older reynolds stratus dv tubulars (46mm depth), they were much easier to handle in crosswinds with a disc rear. The jet 6s I have now handle a lot better in crosswinds, but throwing a disc cover on the rear still feels more stable. Run a disc for sure...I don't remember the crosswinds being that bad on the highway anyways...I recall it being tailwind out, headwind return when I did it.
Quote Reply