Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stupid Questions about Ironman Bike Rules
Quote | Reply
I was at IMC this past weekend, and saw / heard a couple things that made me wonder.

1. I noticed that there is a lot of different ways people put their bike stickers on. In the WTC races I've done I have always put the sticker on as instructed on the back of the sheet. I never do it perfect, and it always ends up wrinkled. I see other people cutting their stickers and apply them to the seat post or seat tube vertically, I saw one where they had the sticker on the Head Tube, another on the down tube, etc. So, Has anyone ever been told their bike number was on incorrectly and been told to fix it? (because cutting in half and applying vertically to seat tube/seat post looks way easier)

2. I was setting my bike up in T-1 race morning and over heard another racer ask an official what they were looking for while inspecting bikes. The official gave the usual answers about plugs in bar ends, but then they said they were checking for seat-posts, that bikes had to have seat posts. This caught my attention, so I asked "So people aren't allowed to ride Dimonds?" (I've been toying with the idea of buying one). She said that I was correct, no Dimonds, but I saw at least 1 pro and 2 age groupers on Dimonds, so I'm confident she was wrong. But I'm wondering if there is another rule she's misinterpreting (I could't find anything about seat tubes).
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid Questions about Ironman Bike Rules [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have raced 5 WTC races.

1. Like all rules you have to take into account the spirit of the law -- which is to have a clearly visible bike number (on both sides of bike). I am 99% certain that as long as your number is clearly visible from both sides you will be OK.

2. See diamonds at all WTC races. Never heard of this rule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:
I was at IMC this past weekend, and saw / heard a couple things that made me wonder.

1. I noticed that there is a lot of different ways people put their bike stickers on. In the WTC races I've done I have always put the sticker on as instructed on the back of the sheet. I never do it perfect, and it always ends up wrinkled. I see other people cutting their stickers and apply them to the seat post or seat tube vertically, I saw one where they had the sticker on the Head Tube, another on the down tube, etc. So, Has anyone ever been told their bike number was on incorrectly and been told to fix it? (because cutting in half and applying vertically to seat tube/seat post looks way easier)

2. I was setting my bike up in T-1 race morning and over heard another racer ask an official what they were looking for while inspecting bikes. The official gave the usual answers about plugs in bar ends, but then they said they were checking for seat-posts, that bikes had to have seat posts. This caught my attention, so I asked "So people aren't allowed to ride Dimonds?" (I've been toying with the idea of buying one). She said that I was correct, no Dimonds, but I saw at least 1 pro and 2 age groupers on Dimonds, so I'm confident she was wrong. But I'm wondering if there is another rule she's misinterpreting (I could't find anything about seat tubes).

I always cut up my race sticker. There's always excess paper that isn't needed so I cut it up and make sure my number is perfectly legible (this is the key). This way I can put it on my seat post or draft box and no part of the sticker is exposed to the wind. I've never had an issue with an official telling me I couldn't do that. As long as your race number is legible and someone can spot your number from a moto, there won't be an issue. It drives me crazy to have a really nice looking bike and this big fugly race number on it. It really bugs me..... and that's why I cut it and make it look much better.

Dimond's have seat posts. They don't have seat tubes.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid Questions about Ironman Bike Rules [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always trim my stickers. They just need to be visible to officials from the side.

As far as seat posts, maybe they were looking to see if they were racked by the seat post. A lot of races gave me shit for not racking by my seatpost, but sometimes it's unavoidable because of how tall my seat is. I have to rack by the bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if WTC is different but here is the rule straight from USAT:

3.4 Race Conduct
f. Race Numbers. Participants shall plainly display their race numbers at all times, and shall maintain the race number in an unaltered, unobstructed and readable state at the start and finish gates, in the transition areas, and on the course. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Beam Bikes" are allowed for use in all IRONMAN events.

The ITU allows "Bikes built around a diamond shape (no saddle down tube) or with a rear triangle which does not connect at the top of the down tube/top tube section" (taken from the ITU Competition Rules) at its draft illegal events and age-group draft legal events.

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Last edited by: JimmyRiccitello: Jul 28, 16 15:15
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid Questions about Ironman Bike Rules [JimmyRiccitello] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if the official also worked at draft legal races (where a Dimond would't be allowed), then maybe they just a brain fart in mentioning it at all. I guess that makes sense.

Thanks everyone for chiming in, I think I'll start cutting my bike stickers in half and mounting vertically on the seat post.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid Questions about Ironman Bike Rules [mhepp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mhepp wrote:

3.4 Race Conduct
f. Race Numbers. Participants shall plainly display their race numbers at all times, and shall maintain the race number in an unaltered, unobstructed and readable state at the start and finish gates, in the transition areas, and on the course. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

Generally speaking the USAT rules are followed for Ironman unless IM has there own set of rules governing something.

In any case, I believe that as long as you don't alter the number itself, you should be fine. The number does not include the 5 inch long vinyl surrounding it in my opinion at least.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct - could be confusion on the part of the referee, as there are still many rule differences relating to the different "types" of triathlon, and small tweaks to the rules are regularly made.

Elite (Pro) draft legal events do not allow beam type bikes, for example, but age-group draft legal events do.

As in many areas of life, some are more informed than others. Therefore, and it seems you get this, based on your post - it pays to do your homework.

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After years of frustration with trying to get a race number to go onto an aero seat post without getting wrinkled I bought a race number holder for my bike. It works perfectly, with minimal effort and keeps the race number aero.

https://vondrais.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Stupid Questions about Ironman Bike Rules [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my VonDrais number holder. Other athletes always ask me about mine. Not sure why more people don't have them. One of the more inexpensive pieces of Tri equipment I own and would not race without.
Quote Reply