Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Study showing effective treatment for plantar fasciitis
Quote | Reply
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/...heel-pain-treatment/ has a photo of the described stretch and a link to the study (that I haven't looked at, never having had PF). Good luck to those with the condition.

Quote:
But the new study, published in August in the Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, finds that a single exercise could be even more effective. It requires standing barefoot on the affected leg on a stair or box, with a rolled-up towel resting beneath the toes of the sore foot and the heel extending over the edge of the stair or box. The unaffected leg should hang free, bent slightly at the knee.
Then slowly raise and lower the affected heel to a count of three seconds up, two seconds at the top and three seconds down. In the study, once participants could complete 12 repetitions fairly easily, volunteers donned a backpack stuffed with books to add weight. The volunteers performed eight to 12 repetitions of the exercise every other day.
Other volunteers completed a standard plantar fasciitis stretching regimen, in which they pulled their toes toward their shins 10 times, three times a day.
After three months, those in the exercise group reported vast improvements. Their pain and disability had declined significantly.Those who did standard stretches, on the other hand, showed little improvement after three months, although, with a further nine months of stretching, most reported pain relief.
The upshot, said Michael Skovdal Rathleff, a researcher at Aalborg University in Denmark, who led the study, is that there was “a quicker reduction in pain” with the exercise program, and a reminder of how books, in unexpected ways, can help us heal.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Study showing effective treatment for plantar fasciitis [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Basically a modified version of an eccentric heel drop / raise.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Study showing effective treatment for plantar fasciitis [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so this would imply that strengthening the musculature of the foot under bodyweight or greater, with the neural pathways also engaged more fully than in static stretching, is more effective for training the brain to let the pain go.

Seems totally logical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the article does more to support the idea of exercise + vs stretching alone as effective for treating PF rather than saying they found an innovative way to treat PF. Rehab programs (well-structured ones anyways) have long utilized therapeutic exercise in conjunction with static/dynamic stretching. The same concept applies to most soft tissue injuries: tendinopathy, ligament sprain or a muscle strain. Rest and stretching alone does little to "heal" an injury. Still a good article, always great to more evidence.
Quote Reply
Re: Study showing effective treatment for plantar fasciitis [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't think your trying to get the brain to ignore the pain. I'm under the impression that your trying to strengthen/adapt the tendon and connective tissue to prevent the tendon from swelling... stopping the source of the pain as well as I think break up any scar tissue by stretching it. But I'm not a DR or PT. That's just my understanding.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting...just sent the link to my wife who has been suffering from PF for a couple of years now.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Good luck to her.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply