Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Struggling with long 140.6 training rides - Help! [Johnnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnnybike wrote:
Rest wrote:
Cut the ride by 50% and do it on the trainer.

I suppose the key question is how long do your longer rides really need to be.

THANKS everyone for the suggestions! I'm feeling a little better about my logistics/planning since I see the loop ride is popular and I've done this, so I'm going to go back to this strategy. I seem to need more nutrition than the average person, or maybe since my area is really hot (90 degrees, almost 100% humidity), I am not skimpy with drinks and will do a 24 oz bottle of water and a 24 oz bottle of gatorade/electrolyte drink in hot conditions, so I HAVE to stop every 20 miles to rehydrate (I carry three bottles on my bike). I thought about a camelback or other thing, but a backpack always make my right shoulder so sore.

Yeah, I've wondering how long a trainer ride needs to be to simulate an outdoor ride. I don't think it's a 50% time cut....maybe like 75%? I edge more and more to doing all my rides on the trainer since I see so many people texting and driving. Then there's the plain a$$hats who've thrown things out car windows at me or swerved purposely to cut me off.
Quote Reply
Re: Struggling with long 140.6 training rides - Help! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Move to San Luis Obispo and ride north on highway 1 and back as far as you want to go.

LOL - I like this one! Or maybe Huntinton Beach where there's a 60 mile bike trail!
Quote Reply
Re: Struggling with long 140.6 training rides - Help! [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iron Dukie wrote:
If you are a member of AAA, your membership may include roadside bicycle service and emergency transport in the event of a mechanical problem during a ride. This is a new offering by AAA and maybe worth looking into.

I did not know this - great tip!
Quote Reply
Re: Struggling with long 140.6 training rides - Help! [Rest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rest wrote:
Cut the ride by 50% and do it on the trainer.

+1. I do 99% of my IM training on a trainer with Trainer road app. Safe, effective and time saving. No sun burns, No chance of getting stranded. Consider it as your plan A!

Yes, IM bike is 112 miles, but there is no need to do 100+ mile every weekend. Instead, you should focus on raising FTP with interval trainings.

For the same token, marathon runners are not doing 26 mile run every weekend!
Quote Reply
Re: Struggling with long 140.6 training rides - Help! [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should be able to carry more hydration than that.

1 bottle between the arms
2 bottles on the frame
2 bottles behind the seat (There are setups that will also include space for your flat kit)

Personally, I find this a tad excessive, but it's doable if you're truly stuck in the boonies. Unless it's in the middle of a heatwave that should get you most of the way, so you only need at most to find one has station/convenience store.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Combining indoor and outdoor might work. I was visiting Long Beach recently and had a computrainer and did 1.5 hours of intervals then headed out through Long Beach (LA river) to PCH up towards Huntington Beach. Outdoors for about 3 hours. With the quality indoor session plus crushing it with the tons of pack riders, I got in a good 4-5 hour session. Doing the quality intervals indoors takes the pressure off the outdoor stuff if there are a lot of stops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the most learned/experienced guy here but:

1. Loops or "spoked" rides (out-and-backs to your car where your car is the hub and you ride out on a different spoke each time you reach your car) are good for not getting far from your support vehicle. And if quitting because of the ease of your nearby vehicle is a problem then use that time to FOCUS on your mental aspects that you will need to apply during your race.

2. Consider getting a two-bottle holder behind your seat (even if only for training). That plus two on the frame and one bta will give you five which should be more than enough nutrition (maybe you'll need to stop somewhere to get more water--if so make one or two bottles double concentrated and then dilute).

3. Take a mini-vacation? Go somewhere new fri night. Do a nice long ride sat. Then enjoy the local sights/beers and come home Sunday am. Maybe can't afford it every weekend. But it could help.

4. Do half your ride on the road then half on the trainer. If the trainer comes second then be prepared to bear down mentally.

5. Find a local tri club that does long rides. If they don't go far enough then ride on your own then meet them (the more aggressive option as long as you're not dogging it before you get there). Tri clubs shouldn't judge your aero bars. Failing that, set up some rides with other local triathletes.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Struggling with long 140.6 training rides - Help! [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"How do you let strava plot your course? I pay for the premium and I haven't seen where I could do this, I'd like to use that feature! "

You do not need premium. From the main page, go to Dashboard -> My Routes -> Create New Route. Click on your starting point and your end point. You can tweak it by dragging points along the route it creates. You can then export it to a gpx or tcx file depending on what your gps unit needs. It's not perfect, but it's shown me some routes I probably wouldn't have found on my own.
Quote Reply
Re: Struggling with long 140.6 training rides - Help! [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind its training.... for times when I have huge rides and im not sure where I can refuel I will just load the bike and a camelback etc who cares what I look like or if im not aero im training....
Quote Reply
Re: Struggling with long 140.6 training rides - Help! [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 12 mile loop ( wish it was a bit bigger) and I park my truck with a cooler full of stuff. Any mechanical I cant fix on site....well, Im never more than 6 miles away so , within walking distance. The other thing I do is more intense 3-3.5 hour trainer rides. 3-3.5 hours on the trainer is relentless and if you do not stop even once.....no back pedaling, it can be as or more effective than a longer ride outdoors with all the soft pedaling cornering etc....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned, definitely learn how to break your chain, and be sure to carry the tool with you.
It's the one real mechanical that can keep you from getting back home...
Quote Reply
Re: Struggling with long 140.6 training rides - Help! [Ken66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken66 wrote:
I have a 12 mile loop ( wish it was a bit bigger) and I park my truck with a cooler full of stuff. Any mechanical I cant fix on site....well, Im never more than 6 miles away so , within walking distance. The other thing I do is more intense 3-3.5 hour trainer rides. 3-3.5 hours on the trainer is relentless and if you do not stop even once.....no back pedaling, it can be as or more effective than a longer ride outdoors with all the soft pedaling cornering etc....

yes - 6 miles is walkable and packing a cooler is definitely key. I do 3-and 3.5 hr trainer rides and at a pretty tough effort, but it seems like the 4 hr mark it's ALL downhill for me on the trainer mentally and physically. it's interesting how the trainer breaks you at that point vs. an outdoor ride of the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a option that is viable is multiple ride on the same day.

outside endurance ride...... and get back on the trainer later for a interval session. i have use this strategy in the past with athletes and it will yield good results if the training load is the similar to a long ride

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
Move to San Luis Obispo and ride north on highway 1 and back as far as you want to go.

LOL - I like this one! Or maybe Huntinton Beach where there's a 60 mile bike trail!

Well, at least as far north as the road goes before it falls off into the ocean... You can only get 60 miles north before Cal Trans turns you around. I've never pedaled past Ragged Point. I usually turn around at Piedras Blancas. Which is funky now because of the highway realignment.

Definitely don't want to "own the road" on that route.....

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply

Prev Next