Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stress fracture, PF or something else?
Quote | Reply
Have been running consistently 70-80 kms per week last 2-3 years. Lately I have reduced volume a bit and have probably been at 60 km.

Have had some things nagging now and then but never something that lasted more than a few days, except for a strained calf.

However, last Sunday I went out for a 18 mile run and ran mostly in the woods with uneven surface, ascents and decents. Towards the end of the run I started to feel some pain on the inside edge of my right foot.

Tuesday and Wednesday I ran easy 10 kms each day and noticed a bit but not much.

Yesterday a tempo run and first 8 km no problem, then some significant pain started. Decided to walk home but thought I would try to massage the foot a bit. I massaged the edge of the foot for 30 secs, and could run again without pain as long as I kept easy pace

Today a very easy 5 km run, first 2 min pain, then I did the massage thing and ran without pain.

The pain seems to be in a non specific spot but actually it varies in location from the inside of the ankle to the heel area to the mid foot area. It is more on the inside edge than under the foot. The pain can be quite sharp

I was afraid that it would be a stress fracture but no pain when jumping up and down and also I can relieve it with massage.

Plantar Fachilitis could be an option but no pain first steps in the morning.

I think it is inflamation of some sort.

My treatment plan:
-- next week run short and easy runs to maintain fitness (Ironman in 8 weeks so would like to avoid cutting running to zero)
-- Ibuprofen
-- Ice
-- Roll foot on tennis ball and bottle with ice

Then I will see if that helps, if it doesnt probably going to get some imaging done to rule out SFX.

Any idea what it can be?
Quote Reply
Re: Stress fracture, PF or something else? [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Re: Stress fracture, PF or something else? [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking from a lesson I learned the hard way, take a few days off from running and whatever else is irritating it- if it still hurts, then go see a doctor. In the meantime, don't run if it hurts, it's just not worth it. At this point, it is better to be undertrained and make it to the starting line, then be fit and unable to start!

And you may not want to take the ibuprofen. While it will reduce inflammation in the short term, in the longer term, it delays healing as the inflammation actually helps the body respond to the injury and heal the injury faster- masking the pain with drugs doesn't, especially if there is a stress fracture present.
Quote Reply