Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strength Training
Quote | Reply
What type and how often do you you strength train weekly? I mainly complete 70.3's as a MOP and am a year round trainer. I currently alternate abs/core and arms every other day but am interested in what others do.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training [Mike J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been following this since October '16, twice a week. Covers all the muscle groups and I can do it in my lunch hour
http://www.active.com/...t-strength-exercises
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to weight train a lot but now keep it to twice a week per muscle group. I'm not doing tris anymore, but run and swim a lot. I typically do upper body after my swim workout and legs after a run workout. I also keep it simple-no massive multiple set workouts. Just a circuit or two each session.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive got three workouts that cover the whole body. I do gym work twice a week and just rotate the workouts. I usually drop the gym work two weeks before an a or b race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do strength 3 days a week, rotating between the following:

1) Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press
2) Squats, Deadlifts, Standing Shoulder Press
3) Squats, Deadlifts, Pull-ups

Besides the pull-ups, everything else is done very heavy at the highest weight where I can do 3 x 5 reps WITH PERFECT FORM. The squats are done as deeply as possible as well.

That routine will work every single muscle that matters and you can be in and out in like 20 minutes.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How has this particular program translated to increased tri performance for you? Do you ever add any plyometric type movements to this routine? Just curious as I've adopted a similar routine (minus bench press but add box jumps and single legs hops) and have been pleasantly surprised with the results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with what you have listed there is that you will stall very easily on that program. If you want to see strength gains you need variety. low reps, hi reps, different variations of exercises, etc. Doing that over and over again will lead to almost zero benefits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just like any type of training you should have a periodization approach to your strength training. Doing the same workouts over and over again will be a fruitless endevor because the body adapts to it quickly. You need to think of it as a multi-stage process.

My strength training looks like this

ANATOMICAL ADAPTATION - Teaching your body how to execute certain exercises. Also meant to increase range of motion and identify areas of weakness. E.G. Low weight squat focusing on form (straight back, no knee collapsing, lifting with glutes, hamstrings and quads vs lower back.

POWER RECRUITMENT - Executing some heavy weights at low reps to get your maximal power gradually increasing. E.G. 3x6 Reps of Maximum Squat with 2-5% increase week over week.

STRENGTH ENDURANCE - Taking a prescription of the maximum weight for the exercises and pushing the reps up to your limits. e.g. 80% of Max Squat 3x20 Reps or until failure

EXPLOSIVE POWER DEVELOPMENT - This is the last phase leading into your target race and it's designed to take all that power and endurance you developed and focus on explosive movement. E.G. 3 Rep MAX Squat immediately followed by 15 reps of Jump Squats with or without bands on shoulders.

Each phase of this process provides a different set of gains for the sport we love to do. I limit it to 3x45 minutes per week which includes a 20 minute warmup which includes rolling, stretching and mobilization work on areas of weakness.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: PushThePace: Jun 28, 17 8:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in-season 1x/week with various functional movements but at least once a month some heavy squats and deadlifts. Can't do those much as it destroys the week's cycling & running

Off-season 3x/week with a full plan laid out including all the heavy, compound movements (2x week heavy lifting, 1x lighter functional movements)

I am also MOP but I would absolutely recommend you have an 'off-season' even if only for 2-3 months where you drop volumes of cycling & running and up the intensity. Focusing on the strength can help performance but I mainly do it for the avoidance of injury

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simple And Sinister. It's a warm up and 2 exercises with one piece of equipment. Takes 30 minutes tops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now? None. Interferes with the SBR workouts.

Offseason?

Squats, Lat pull-downs, seated rows, push-ups, step-ups

3x per week, progressing from 3x15-20, to 3x8-10, to 5x4-6 each lasting about 6 weeks or so.

I also do some core workouts when I feel like it...so, maybe 3x per year.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been doing this program for 7 months and no stall. Certainly the gains now are slower than when I started, but the point for me isn't to get huge and ripped. My goal is to be strong for what life throws at me and for my posterior chain to be strong, balanced and healthy. And this certainly does it.

It's not my program, it's by a guy named Rippetoe who is way more of a strength expert than you or me.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently 3x a week while favoring upper body due to the fact that i'm doing a big hike in August and want some upper strength so it kind of looks like this.

Monday - Pullups, DB Bench, One Legged DB Row, Obliques (I call them teacups, just side bends with DBs), knees to chest on pull up bar, planks, bridges, pushups, etc.

Wednesday - Squats, knees to chest, DB lunges on a bench, more teacups, planks, bridge, box jumps, calf raises,

Friday - Similar to Monday with some deadlift and maybe one or two other things.

After the three hike I'll switch to 3x a week where I do legs on T/T and upper on Saturday.

Cheers!

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply