Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strava Questions! From a Noob
Quote | Reply
So I'm new to Strava and have some questions if anyone is up for fielding them:
  • What's the deal with the challenges? How do you find ones to join? What ones are good? I keep seeing them in my feed but have never tried them.
  • I'm REALLY excited to be on strava because I find it SUPER motivating and addictive. :) Am I weirding people out if I randomly give out kudos but don't know them irl (people who are in my feed, people who are in my clubs)? Is it strange just to follow random people if you like their workouts? Sorry if I have sketched any of y'all out :)
  • How do some people label captions and hashtags on their photos? Are the connecting to it from another app? (instagram?) I don't see that option anywhere when uploading pics to strava directly.
  • What's zwift? I keep seeing people calling their rides "zwifts" is that some term for some certain type of ride or workout?
  • Are most people tracking themselves from their iphone? Or from a bike computer or a watch and then upload it later? I have a forerunner 920 but so far have just been just using my iphone. Is it better to use a different device to track?
  • Any other advice or etiquette I should know about? Is it a faux pas to post different types of workouts (yoga/rolling/strength) that aren't cycling or running? I don't want to annoy people on there... I'm slow and I suck so won't have to worry about anything QOM/segment related for a loooong time.
This is me if anyone is curious: https://www.strava.com/athletes/9819343

Thanks for the info! Cheers.

Chlorine is my perfume
Last edited by: TheSlugLife: Aug 3, 15 23:05
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Questions! From a Noob [TheSlugLife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1: Just sign up if you are keen to do the challenge. Some of them are pretty easy to knock out if you are a regular rider. It is just for fun.
2: Yea, random kudos are a bit wierd if you don't know people (my take). But, in good spirit, its no big deal.
3. No idea.
4. Swift, is like real time strava racing with 3d graphics. The courses are preset and you ride on the trainer... I believe you have to have a power meter to play. I've not done it though so I might be way off base.
5. I know several people who use their phones for strava. Most of those are recreational cyclists. Most people I know have dedicated bike computers of some make. Whatever device fits your ride needs is best. I <3 my Pc8.
6. Use strava as you need. If you want to LOG everything then go ahead. i think it would be overkill myself, but different strokes ya know.

As long as you are using it to track, analyze, challenge, compete, compare, and explore cycling and running then you are doing it right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe you can use zwift with a speed sensor / trainer combo to give you a virtual power, but it's debatable whether that is accurate or not..

If you go to manual entry, you can choose to input an entry for

run, swim, bike, skii, hike, walk, canoe and even crossfit.

hmmm for etiquette, just remember to switch off your device / recording when you finish your activity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its your workout log so log whatever you want. If you don't what to share a particular activity, you can mark any individual activity private. (I log almost everything but generally mark my weight/core workouts private mostly because I am too embarrassed that they are so infrequent). In my circle I have a couple zealots who only post road rides, not even trainer sessions, since "trainer miles don't count" to people who will log a century one day and 1 mile ride to get ice cream with their kids the next. One guy seems to do a lot of canoeing on his off the bike days . . . . I posted a 2.5 mile walk with my mom last month and got a ton of kudos ;-) Just do whatever you want.

I used the iPhone for a while then got a Garmin Edge. For tracking purposes, there is not all that much difference.

The iPhone app lets you add pics to a ride and I think you can also link your Instagram account to Strava.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheSlugLife wrote:

• What's zwift? I keep seeing people calling their rides "zwifts" is that some term for some certain type of ride or workout?

http://www.zwift.com/

Virtual training. Need an ant+ speed sensor and usb dongle for computer and approved trainer. You don't have to have a power meter but that provides most accurate results. I think it's a game changer for indoor training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few thoughts:
- Re Challenges: There are some that most people knock out anyways (ie the monthly 10k, etc) and some that are actually challenges. I do not do high mileage on the bike so tend to skip the big bike distance challenges but will usually join the run ones. I also like the elevation challenges as it makes me break up the routine of my usual routes. Pick the ones you want to do and have fun pushing yourself!
- Re Kudos: Its fun giving, and getting kudos, but I found I've given less the more I'm on Strava, especially when the same person rides multiple 100 mile rides per week.
- Re phone, etc: I think a lot of folks do it on their phone, but if you have power data or HR data from your Garmin that you want to use then you should upload it from that device.
- Re other workouts: depends on what you want to use Strava for. I think it has one of the cleanest interfaces for tracking training for races so I will add my swims on it, but anything non race-oriented (ie walking around the block, etc) I don't. If I do a cool hike or whitewater trip, I'll post it sometimes too just for fun :)
- Re etiquette: just don't be a Stravasshole using it and you should be fine

Have fun!

Thanks for the random Kudo by the way. I saw you are on the ST club and figured it out, so no weirdness ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheSlugLife wrote:

What's zwift? I keep seeing people calling their rides "zwifts" is that some term for some certain type of ride or workout?

Zwift is the universe where everyone's power at threshold is 5+ w/kg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheSlugLife wrote:
  • What's the deal with the challenges? How do you find ones to join? What ones are good? I keep seeing them in my feed but have never tried them.
  • I'm REALLY excited to be on strava because I find it SUPER motivating and addictive. :) Am I weirding people out if I randomly give out kudos but don't know them irl (people who are in my feed, people who are in my clubs)? Is it strange just to follow random people if you like their workouts? Sorry if I have sketched any of y'all out :)
  • How do some people label captions and hashtags on their photos? Are the connecting to it from another app? (instagram?) I don't see that option anywhere when uploading pics to strava directly.
  • Are most people tracking themselves from their iphone? Or from a bike computer or a watch and then upload it later? I have a forerunner 920 but so far have just been just using my iphone. Is it better to use a different device to track?
  • Any other advice or etiquette I should know about? Is it a faux pas to post different types of workouts (yoga/rolling/strength) that aren't cycling or running? I don't want to annoy people on there... I'm slow and I suck so won't have to worry about anything QOM/segment related for a loooong time.
This is me if anyone is curious: https://www.strava.com/athletes/9819343

Thanks for the info! Cheers.

1. All challenges are good challenges. Except for the ones that aren't challenging. There is a section to the right side of your feed for challenges. Each month new monthly ones are released. And periodically they'll have shorter term ones (such as a week or 10 day challenge). Here's a link
2. My personal rule is to only follow people I actually know and have met. I typically don't let other people follow me if they don't meet this requirement. You can join clubs and groups though and still see people's workouts.
3. For pictures, try following these instructions . It does use instagram and I believe the way it works is that any picture you take during a the start and finish of a bike ride (as per your gps headunit) then they could potentionally be added to the workout page.
4. I think other people have covered this. Basically an indoor training program focused on entertainment. A lot of people seem to like it. I think it's okay. It's in open beta right now (so free). but eventually it will be moving to a paid subscription model. Trainerroad also has a subscription model but it is not entertainment focused (strictly workouts, and lots of them). There's also PerfPro Studio which is a one time fee--again, not entertainment focused but lots of workouts. For more info on training apps check out this dcrainmaker article.
5. Whatever device works for you and you can afford. If you have a 920xt then you should use that IMO. phones are clunky to carry around for multi-sporting.
5. I generally only post workouts to the three main disciplines (swim, bike, run). I don't post my strength workouts and I don't post my commutes. I don't think this would be such an issue if Strava let you filter your news feed to only show Bike workouts or to exclude any 'commute' ride, or exclude any 'indoor' workout, or only show bike, swim and run activities, etc. But since anything you post gets put on every follower's newsfeed it can be kind of annoying to be 'that' guy who posts 2 bike commutes every day, plus another workout or two and then yoga. I wouldn't follow that guy. But again, this is a downside of strava and one of the reasons I refuse to pay for premium is because stuff like this simply doesn't get implemented even though it's been brought up years ago. Ultimately though, post what you want. it's your workspace. If someone is following you it's because they like you as a person or like what you're posting. Don't try to cater towards people. This isn't facebook where you try to get the most "friends" so again, just post whatever you want to keep track of. If you lose a follower over something then oh well, no big deal in my opinion.

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Questions! From a Noob [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Pantalones, JohnHK, STP, trifreemc, ncwildh2o, BrianB and raceHD for the replies!!

RaceHD, those links were super helpful- thank you very much!

That dcrainmaker guy does awesome reviews, his Forerunner 920 post basically taught me how to use it, way more helpful than the actual manual.

Chlorine is my perfume
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Challenges are just additional motivation to get out there and target different goals on a monthly basis typically. Climbing and distance targets being the two main ones.

Tracking You can "Connect" apps withing Garmin Connect which will auto sync it to other applications. So whenever you complete an activity on the Garmin 920XT it will upload to Garmin Connect then automatically send the same data over to Strava. Saves you from draining your phones battery, especially when you start doing longer and longer rides.

Kudos Random Kudos is part of the game. I get them all the time and sometime every single activity I upload gets kudos from the same people. I assume there is some auto kudo option but I've never looked.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Questions! From a Noob [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:

Kudos Random Kudos is part of the game. I get them all the time and sometime every single activity I upload gets kudos from the same people. I assume there is some auto kudo option but I've never looked.

I don't think there is an auto kudos option... because lord knows I am wasting enough time on there kudo-ing everything :) ... I think you just have some enthusiastic stalkers who are rather impressed with your athletics!

Chlorine is my perfume
Quote Reply