Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Strava
Quote | Reply
I hate the new format they just rolled out. It seems to provide more information (the map, etc) of someone's activity, but it makes it much harder to scroll through and thumb up activities. I don't want to see more, if I do, I'll click on their activity. At a high level, I want to be able to scroll through them quickly seeing the high level info and thumbing them up. I think Strava is trying to do everything for everyone and it stinks.

Any other opinions?

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Strava [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep who I follow to a min... but yes I agree with you for the most part. I do see a few benefits but not much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto. Not a fan. I used to see multiple activities in a screen before I had to scroll down. Now with the new format, there is only room for about one per screen. Big move backwards.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh. Not a fan. Almost like they're trying to go to an Instagram type feel.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm very confused because a few days ago it looked like it had updated and the format was way different. I didn't get to use it long enough to form an opinion because the next time I opened strava back up it was back to the way it used to be. And it's been that way ever since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not at all a fan of this change. However I will gladly accept it if they just freakin went back to chronological ordering. I can't figure out when people did what at a quick glance because I am getting stuff from 3 days ago popping up ahead of things people did hours ago, which is behind stuff people did yesterday. I am confused why someone's long ride just showed up from last weekend and I am thinking "holy crap did he get a day off work to ride 100 miles?" No... it's just that Strava decided I needed to see that today... ugh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything strava has done over the past year is terrible.

The non-chronological feed is awful. I have stopped seeing the people I kudo the most and it keeps inserting one guy who I only follow because I used to work with him 4 years ago and now he lives in a different city. I've never kudo'd him or commented. I randomly get people's warm up to a workout at the top of my feed but never see their workout. Etc.

The have a bunch of garbage in the feed now too. Challenges, posts, people to follow. I want none of it. I actually unfollow anyone if I see they posted a blog in my feed. I am not there to see people talk about crap I don't care about. I want to see workouts.

All this while they still don't get the basics right: They still think they can calculate my distance better than my garmin when I run or cycle. They still are inconsistent in whether to use moving time or elapsed time running (moving time outdoor, elapsed time indoor).

Lastly, yesterday I briefly saw a "Recommended by Strava" post. Yup folks. They are going with ads. The will claim it's not ads. It's ads. And you already pay them.

I stopped paying them. I'm close to stopping using it altogether.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Last edited by: marklemcd: Oct 19, 17 13:54
Quote Reply
Re: Strava [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still don't really see much of a change on PC and no change on the mobile app. Maybe they haven't rolled it out to everyone?
Quote Reply
Re: Strava [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Not at all a fan of this change. However I will gladly accept it if they just freakin went back to chronological ordering. I can't figure out when people did what at a quick glance because I am getting stuff from 3 days ago popping up ahead of things people did hours ago, which is behind stuff people did yesterday. I am confused why someone's long ride just showed up from last weekend and I am thinking "holy crap did he get a day off work to ride 100 miles?" No... it's just that Strava decided I needed to see that today... ugh
100% agree, whoever came up with that idea should be fired. I guess maybe this is an attempt at a "trending" feed, but it makes no sense and if there's any logic/algorithm at all to the ordering, I sure can't tell what it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen two visual bugs in the last couple of days.

First, for a few days, whenever you popped up the profile menu, it appeared beneath some visual elements of the screen. Meaning you could only see a small part of it.

And today they started HTML encoding the apostrophe in my last name in the newsfeed. Replacing it with

'

You gotta wonder how much QA there is going on there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strava should realize most users aren't interested in social media junk. Many of us workout to be alone, not be around a bunch of other people. If I wanted to facebook, I'd be on facebook. Strava's killer feature was the ability to share and check on other others only lightly so we can be in touch with those like us without being so freakin' involved. I want to know how many watts my rival averaged, not if he picked flowers along the way and how he feels about his neighbor's Honda. Strava allowed us to check in, then get the hell out (on the bike) without having to see all the other garbage.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Strava [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, if you post a blog I'm out. A person I use to follow posted a "thinking of coming back to strava, anyone out there ?" post. immediate unfollow. I'm not here for the kudos and social aspect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sent feedback to the effect and encourage you to do the same. They do read the feedback, and even acknowledge it sometimes. It should be all the time but these type outfits kind of do what they want to do, and read what they want to read.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like Training Peaks is a better choice for you. No social media shit
Quote Reply
Re: Strava [xcchampion11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xcchampion11 wrote:
yep, if you post a blog I'm out. A person I use to follow posted a "thinking of coming back to strava, anyone out there ?" post. immediate unfollow. I'm not here for the kudos and social aspect.

The one part where I actually think there could be good use for posts is doing a race report. I'm hopeful it will only be used for good, but then I remember that people wish me happy birthday on LinkedIn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree, I pay to use strava to create routes and search activities - I could care less for the social media aspect. Now the search activities feature no longer works. WTF!
Quote Reply
Re: Strava [Alcantara-AUS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alcantara-AUS wrote:

Word. This just made my decision to stop paying for strava and start paying for TP.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Strava [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsk wrote:
g_lev wrote:

100% agree, whoever came up with that idea should be fired. I guess maybe this is an attempt at a "trending" feed, but it makes no sense and if there's any logic/algorithm at all to the ordering, I sure can't tell what it is.

I believe the feed is based on upload time. Meaning, the most recent activities in the feed will be the ones most recently uploaded.
I have a guy who only syncs his garmin watch every 3 days and then 3 activities of his pop to the top of my feed from days ago.
It's also certainly not perfect because like someone else mentioned I'll get a warmup pop up in my feed and not the actual workout. But I can see the workout if I click on the user.
Last edited by: coralsnake: Oct 19, 17 18:46
Quote Reply
Re: Strava [coralsnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think those bugs and drawbacks of the priority algorithm will get ironed out in time.

A few options could help though:
-Automatically group consecutive workouts (ie. so that warmups + race or accidental button presses now group together)
-Commutes automatically have lower priority, races higher priority (but set it so you can only flag so many races per year)
-Prioritize by relative suffer score - ie. someone's first 10k run should be higher ranked than someone who does 100k ride every weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava [coralsnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coralsnake wrote:
jsk wrote:
g_lev wrote:

I believe the feed is based on upload time. Meaning, the most recent activities in the feed will be the ones most recently uploaded.
I have a guy who only syncs his garmin watch every 3 days and then 3 activities of his pop to the top of my feed from days ago.
It's also certainly not perfect because like someone else mentioned I'll get a warmup pop up in my feed and not the actual workout. But I can see the workout if I click on the user.

That may be how it used to work, but not now. Even if it was based on upload time as opposed to activity time, that wouldn't explain how activities that happened after my own are way down in my feed. My activities auto-upload as soon as completed, so how could my 5:00PM activity show above somebody else's 7:00PM activity? I'm also seeing Zwift activities that are out of order, and again I think those are all auto-uploaded.
Last edited by: jsk: Oct 19, 17 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: Strava [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsk wrote:
coralsnake wrote:
jsk wrote:
g_lev wrote:

That may be how it used to work, but not now. Even if it was based on upload time as opposed to activity time, that wouldn't explain how activities that happened after my own are way down in my feed. My activities auto-upload as soon as completed, so how could my 5:00PM activity show above somebody else's 7:00PM activity? I'm also seeing Zwift activities that are out of order, and again I think those are all auto-uploaded.
If you did a 3 hour ride at 5 and the other guy did a 30 min run at 7.

It also will bump up a whole group ride later in the day when another rider uploads.

This isn't the whole algorithm but it's a big part of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava [Alcantara-AUS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alcantara-AUS wrote:

Not exactly. There's three personality types. 1. Likes to go to parties and be in the party. 2. Wants to stay home. 3. Likes to go to the party, but would rather lean against the wall and sip a beer than be the center of attention. That's a lot of us. We like to go to the circus, but we don't want to be in the circus. We just want to see that our friends are good and cycling is being good to everybody and help somebody that needs it or ask for a pump, but we don't want to have an algorithm shove in our face about Kim Kardashian's fake butt is now on a Schwinn and OMG you won't believe the 6 tips that has her plastic surgeon furious - number 3 is something you can do TONIGHT!

Strava was great when I could see routes that I never thought of, try to virtually race other people up a local hill without making a big production out of it, or laugh at the segment names that other people put on Lance's bike routes, like "Dopers suck you king of dopers."

It should be about connecting cyclists to cycling, not connecting personalities about how their gluten free recovery shake looks the same as this sunrise written in long-form poetry with a slideshow of photos of their cat bathing it's own crotch retweet if you're left handed! ungh.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Strava [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bear in mind their business - Their audience is not only cyclists anymore.

My point is that they are over 150k users now with different preferences. Changes are inevitable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rate of development at Strava seems absolutely glacial compared to others in the industry. They basically haven't introduced any new features within the last 3 or 4 years, just reshuffled the layouts here and there to keep things looking fresh without actually adding any substance. Still no support for advanced metrics, still no multisport, still very little in the form of longitudinal analysis of training i.e. trends over weeks/months.

I don't think it's surprising that they're implementing features to compete with mainstream social networks such as Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, because the potential for exposure and growth in those areas is absolutely massive, whilst the competition from others on the sports-side of things is minimal at best.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
xcchampion11 wrote:

The one part where I actually think there could be good use for posts is doing a race report. I'm hopeful it will only be used for good, but then I remember that people wish me happy birthday on LinkedIn.

I tested that water when they first started allowing "posts". I put a race report up. Seemed like a reasonable use of the feature. I might even do it again for various races. But beyond race reports, I see no real reason to put anything there. Literally everything else is better posted on Facebook.
Quote Reply

Prev Next