Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Strategies for Remaining Injury Free As We Age
Quote | Reply
Last year I turned 40 and it was the first time my triathlon season was wiped out due to an ongoing injury. As we are all getting older, I thought it could be interesting to hear from 40+ higher volume athletes who have developed effective micro and macro strategies that have allowed them to stay healthy while continuing to train alot year after year.

For instance, I'd rather not take a day completely off every week but if that's just what it take as you age to avoid injury, then I guess I am in. Also thinking about regular massage, more yoga/pilates/core/flexibility work and maybe a little less running but be very interested to hear what has worked and has not for others.
Quote Reply
Re: Strategies for Remaining Injury Free As We Age [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm turning 59 and have been (touch wood) relatively injury free. My advise is - Develop a daily stretching program, work on core exercises, run less, don't "work through the pain", realize that a DNF is alright, stop if it hurts, take days off (at least two a week) and don't crash on the bike. And finally, spend more time posting on ST and less time training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you think 40 is old, just wait.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a 41 year old who has been fortunate to remain injury free, I think a lot has to do with being consistent. If you keep up with your training all year, even if lowering the volume and picking up the frequency, I think that helps keep me free of injury. Clearly it's the run where most injuries seem to present, and I actual think keeping up our running is better than running less. I also believe in stretching as a preventative measure although i know the science isn't there on that subject. I also think diet is key, eating whole foods to help support and repair our bodies. Oh, and a little upper body resistance training to off set muscle loss as we age.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are many things but one of the most important is ease into things until your body adapts. Don't decide one day that you need more speed and go out to the track for some 1:15 quarter miles.

Quote | Reply
Good advice from Bryancd. I also am getting up there and after doing triathlons for 29 years, I also believe that consistency is a very large factor. A day off is good, at least every other week. By all means, periodize your training and don't do the stupid workouts to stay with the young guns in workouts. If you train smart, many of them will be behind you come race day, when it counts. Get a good training plan, periodized, and stick to it. I have found that it actually gets more meaningful and fun after 50. The competitors are still good and fast, but they have a great perspective on sport that is lost on the young. It becomes a joy and a priviledge instead of an ego booster. Then you're in it for the right reasons and will stay with it. Be smart.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Strategies for Remaining Injury Free As We Age [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turned 55 yesterday. I agree with most everything you said, but it's hard to cut down mileage when my weekly run miles are already hovering at about 3 : ).

Is it not true that reading ST will make you faster? So why injure yourself training. Just read all the aero threads, spend the money and arrive at T2 before you leave T1. I could get negative drag and negative split the entire bike leg : ) without leaving my living room.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW - OP - 40 ain;t shit.......repost this thread when you turn 53. Thats about when all hell breaks loose.

Lots of races are won overall by guys in their 40's. At that age......train hard or go home : )

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Strategies for Remaining Injury Free As We Age [596] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul, yep I am that big 53 this year, and boy do I see changes, and not for the better. :o(

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Strategies for Remaining Injury Free As We Age [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As a 41 year old who has been fortunate to remain injury free, I think a lot has to do with being consistent. If you keep up with your training all year, even if lowering the volume and picking up the frequency, I think that helps keep me free of injury. Clearly it's the run where most injuries seem to present, and I actual think keeping up our running is better than running less. I also believe in stretching as a preventative measure although i know the science isn't there on that subject. I also think diet is key, eating whole foods to help support and repair our bodies. Oh, and a little upper body resistance training to off set muscle loss as we age.

A few years younger than you and very glad to hear this is what the older/faster people do as its my plan. I must say, I'm surprised no one criticized the resistance training - but I agree with it 100%.
Quote Reply
Re: Strategies for Remaining Injury Free As We Age [bmcmaster11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Less running.
More rest, less volume, more high intensity
Quote Reply
Re: Strategies for Remaining Injury Free As We Age [bmcmaster11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

A few years younger than you and very glad to hear this is what the older/faster people do as its my plan. I must say, I'm surprised no one criticized the resistance training - but I agree with it 100%.

Because I am not advocating it as a means to train for triathlon, simply as part of a general wellness idea. :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At age 49, with a few injuries along the way, I've found the advice of BarryP very helpful. Some posters here say run less...it is the running that tends to cause the injuries...but I've found running more often (daily) but shorter distances works for me. Check out his post. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...untraining7;#1311512
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learn to listen to our bodies, they know. I think Dev said if you feel something small in the morning walking down the stairs and you dont address it then, 5 days to a week later it will be a full blown injury. Or something like that. Wish I listenened more then. Also never milk a injury a cliche so to speak for sure but it got to be a cliche for a reason.

Quote | Reply
I'm 58 and have run and/or cycled for over 30 years without a injury severe enough to side line me until a year ago. During that entire time I stretched religiously. Then I started reading the latest intelect that says stretching isn't necessary and can actually be harmful. So, I cut back on my stretching. Within 2 weeks I was sitting reading ST instead of running. STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH....then stretch some more!!!!

Also, the advise that Barry P offers is excellent. My weekly milage is higher than it has been in 10 years and I'm injury free. Did I mention that you should stretch???

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Foam Roller.

Any time I stop using it something happens.

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd and Ggeiger have some good advice, as far as a day off build in an easy day where all you do is swim or do a recovery ride on the bike, do drill work in either of these or do both and not feel guilty at all. Key is consistency but news flash 40 is not old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for some great thoughts. What will work best is of course an individual exercise, but it always helps to get insights from those who have done what you hope to do. And no offense meant to anyone by linking 40 to getting on in years. In fact, just the opposite - I am most impressed by you guys who are dedicated, smart and lucky enough to do it consistently year and year and want very much to be one of you over the next 30 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Strategies for Remaining Injury Free As We Age [mtnvet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm 58 and have run and/or cycled for over 30 years without a injury severe enough to side line me until a year ago. During that entire time I stretched religiously. Then I started reading the latest intelect that says stretching isn't necessary and can actually be harmful. So, I cut back on my stretching. Within 2 weeks I was sitting reading ST instead of running. STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH....then stretch some more!!!!

Also, the advise that Barry P offers is excellent. My weekly

I know this might sound crazy, but I'd actually take a different lesson from your experiences.
My view is that no one else is an expert in your body the way that you are. So, if something has been working for you, don't stop. If something doesn't work for you, don't start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Birthday!
Quote Reply
Re: Strategies for Remaining Injury Free As We Age [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to see someone else around that long. This is my 29th year of triathlons to.....don't know many others who have been at it this long. I am one of the only folks I know who has won my age group at least once in every age group from 20-24 on up. I'm just moving to the 50-54.....had fun joking with my wife that it is now easier to list the parts of the body that don't hurt since the parts that do are getting quite long.

What I have seen is a large number of binge athletes who tend to come and go. They get injured, change jobs, change spouses, etc. I really believe consistency is better – athletically and personally. This doesn’t mean to be completely content, and I certainly believe in pushing ourselves. I have missed NO training due to injuries, other than a bike wreck, in many years. That doesn’t mean I don’t have hurts, they just don’t limit me.

When our 1st child was born 11 years ago I self limited myself to 10 hours a week of the training. This is 10 hours week in and week out, year in and year out. I mix it up a bit, but stick to the strict 10 hours. So, I really don’t over train or over impose on the family and stay rather healthy.

½ of my 18 IMs (so far) have been in those last 11 years. IM on 10 hours is challenging, but I still manage to do OK. My kids and wife love the lifestyle and the travel. It is a great example for them and for others.
Best wishes and stay healthy!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Strategies for Remaining Injury Free As We Age [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I could say I had won that many age groups! It took me quite a while to do that. As far as injuries, I've had them, knee surgeries, cancer, car/bike, but as with training and life, get back in the game quickly. Consistency and intelligent training is the secret. I also have seen a lot come and go, and sure wish the "old timers" would stick around, as the age groups now are small. I think many punished themselves so much with their training that they had to drop. With each advancing age group, the characters get even better, and the long term athletes get more mellow, but still fast.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lessons learned as I age:

It takes longer to recover from an intense workout.
Years of base are a hidden advantage.
Rotating the three sports is part of injury avoidance.
Stretching works.
Sudden accelerations or direction changes (dead stop to sprint) never end well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Run shorter distance
  • Don't do long runs
  • Run on soft surfaces whenever possible
  • Run on fresh legs whenever possible
  • Do not run the day after a race
  • Sleep as much as you can
  • Don't gain weight

At least it works for me after 33 years of running competitively in some form or the other (by competitively, I mean that I've done racing involving running and you can't get to the start lines of races unless your body parts work). Currently 44, but I guess that is still pretty young in running time. The true test is if I can say this at 55.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
49 here; fourth season in tris; sprints and olys, nothing longer. Learned last year not to push too hard in training for a stand alone 1/2 marathon. Went hard two weeks out for a fast tempo run and pulled something in the calf doing a closing sprint in the last 100m of my run. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Had to cancel the race and took two months off running to recover, which was hard b/c I was in great shape for a PR.

Lesson: easy on the speed work; consistency over intensity; taking all the needed time off when you do get injured, which is pretty much the norm if you're running a lot.
Quote Reply

Prev Next