Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strange helmets in Portugal
Quote | Reply
First I can’t get over the Oakley’s that Tony Martin and katusha are wearing, then bauke mollema appears to be wearing a giro and running a Pro tri spoke (mad at bontrager?), finally the runner up Campenaerts is wearing something that looks like a 15 year old LG.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...018/stage-3/results/
Quote Reply
Re: Strange helmets in Portugal [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was Geraint Thomas borrowing a much larger person's bike? I know he won, but I get uncomfortable just seeing him ride a TT.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever that weird helmet Campenaerts is wearing it definitely fits him perfectly. Probably tests super fast for him. Those Oakleys can't possibly test fast for anyone. lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of interesting stuff. Campenaerts has some custom bars on the Ridley that look similar to the MOST 3-d printed Sky bars, but wit more forearm shielding. Jungles has the new fork for the Shiv TT.
Sky mostly back on spoked front wheels. Ryan Mullen's funky shoe covers with aero socks. Kiryienka with socks way to tall for the rules. No idea what to say about Mollema other than not sponsor correct. I can't say the Oakley helmet looks like an improvement on Martin, but who knows.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange helmets in Portugal [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a Javelin with the ear covers and visor removed.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange helmets in Portugal [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ear covers shaved off? On my Javelin they're not removable. That helmet ages like a fine wine...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Strange helmets in Portugal [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
Was Geraint Thomas borrowing a much larger person's bike? I know he won, but I get uncomfortable just seeing him ride a TT.

I think he looks great...
Quote Reply
Re: Strange helmets in Portugal [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
Those Oakleys can't possibly test fast for anyone. lol

So far, the Aro 7 has tested fast for everyone who I've known to try it. Granted, not too many athletes have tested it; I've had a handful test it myself and it's been right at the top with others. I'm quite sure he has access to both the short and long version, so I would assume the shorter is faster for him, and the results I've seen so far would confirm that. Unless something has changed, the long tail will not be available for retail, and I haven't yet seen any reason it should.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And Nelson Oliveira was rocking an incognito H3.
Geraint Thomas opted to go without a tri spoke, was it a C60? C75? Helluva performance anyway.

When Tony Martin overtook the portuguese rider he seemed to lose a lot of steam for a couple of minutes. The guy was overtook Martin again. I thought it was weird.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange helmets in Portugal [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Lotto-Soudal not have a TT helmet sponsor these days? Tim Wellens was rocking this number in the Ruta del Sol:

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Strange helmets in Portugal [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
strange seeing a giro on a trek/bontrager sponsored athlete. Even the tri spoke front was weird to see with mollema
Quote Reply
Re: Strange helmets in Portugal [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
nightfend wrote:

... so I would assume the shorter is faster for him, and the results I've seen so far would confirm that.....

The results, or the marketing? Honest question.

I just don't get how we go from, what, 15+ years of corporate wind tunnel testing telling us that tailed helmets like the javelin, advantage, etc are the fastest helmets, all the way back to now saying that a short round helmet with no tail, literally the complete opposite if what for years has been fed to us as the fastest helmet, is now testing the fastest for most people (and just happens to cost 500)....

Jim, when will the new bio-mimicry whale helmet be released by Oakley?

Anyway, I have no doubt that the pro's are using the Oakley 5 helmet because it tests faster for them. Has nothing to do with Oakley saying "Hey, we want you to wear this new $500 helmet for us".......
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Feb 19, 18 6:06
Quote Reply
Re: Strange helmets in Portugal [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
strange seeing a giro on a trek/bontrager sponsored athlete. Even the tri spoke front was weird to see with mollema

Weirder then seeing a lightweight disc with bontrager decals?

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Strange helmets in Portugal [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
nightfend wrote:

... so I would assume the shorter is faster for him, and the results I've seen so far would confirm that.....

The results, or the marketing? Honest question.

I just don't get how we go from, what, 15+ years of corporate wind tunnel testing telling us that tailed helmets like the javelin, advantage, etc are the fastest helmets, all the way back to now saying that a short round helmet with no tail, literally the complete opposite if what for years has been fed to us as the fastest helmet, is now testing the fastest for most people (and just happens to cost 500)....

Jim, when will the new bio-mimicry whale helmet be released by Oakley?

Anyway, I have no doubt that the pro's are using the Oakley 5 helmet because it tests faster for them. Has nothing to do with Oakley saying "Hey, we want you to wear this new $500 helmet for us".......

I'm speaking to the Aro 7, not the Aro 5. If you really want your mind blown, they developed this helmet with CFD alone...no aero testing during development. I believe Frodeno was the first to actually test it. The long tail was made for him by request. I have very limited numbers on it, but the short tail tested faster than the long for us and, as I understand it, others have found the same. Hence, I see no reason why they should make it.

I'll be interested to see how this performs for the general public when they begin using/testing it. I know our numbers are similar to others who have tested, but very few, and perhaps only two "age group" athletes have tested it. I don't know if I mentioned this in another thread, but one of our test riders is really an anomaly. Master's World Champ on the track, and one of my better test riders because he rides the velodrome so well and gives me consistent numbers run-after-run. The strange thing is, full aero helmets have never tested fast for him. I have no idea why, but they just haven't. For him, a Specialized Evade is always best. The Aro 7 was definitely faster when he tested. Go figure.

I believe I know why this helmet is working so well, and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with that that little nub at the tail. I have to keep that to myself, though, and it's only an opinion anyway.

Riders of Tony's stature typically have it in the contracts to ride whatever they find best for themselves. Hence, Bollema with an Aerohead, not a Aelous. Don't get me wrong, there's definitely pressure placed on the riders to use sponsored equipment, but some of the Pro Tour-level testing I do involves checking to see if certain sponsor's products are better or worse than anything else. If the athlete can show numbers a non-sponsored product is better, they can use it. I did that with a full bike last year. Equipment like helmets are not big money sponsorships. Results matter more to a team in the end.

Having said all this, no one should be over-reacting to a small, early season, race. Lots of testing going on right now for later in the year.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Strange helmets in Portugal [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:

Weirder then seeing a lightweight disc with bontrager decals?
Yep saw that too. It was a bit all over the place
Quote Reply
Re: Strange helmets in Portugal [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oakley is sponsoring Katusha in both helmets and eyewear. Is it really small pickings?
Quote Reply