Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Arch167] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect not. And it was my local community center pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Arch167] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about the "Forgot my suit Guy" We actually had an older man come to a masters swim meet, probably 80+. he had sweat pants on, you know the ones with the lines down the side. His heat was called, he went up to his block, took off his pants and Surprise, no suit! He was standing there with nothing on, and he didn't even know it! Someone finally ran a towel up to him and covered him.

We also have "Not Getting New Suit Girl" Now she's in her mid to upper 50's and has been swimming masters for like 20 years. Please someone buy her a new suit!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [triguynj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Forgot My Suit Guy" might just be called "Early/Mid Stage Alzheimer's Guy". I went to school in SoCal and lived near a Leisure World community. Not uncommon for elderly folks to go out wearing nothing but a hat and shoes.

I'm sure I'm gonna be like that guy; I can't even remember my kids' names and I'm only 43!

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot,

Suspicious Masters Team Treasurer Who Thinks I Didn't Pay And Wants To Confront Me Regularly In The Shower Woman
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without pictures....It didn't happen ;-)

Arch

==============
"The code of the schoolyard (ST), Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do." -- Homer
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]You left out "Inappropriate / Unfortunately Colored Suit Guy"; the one whose swimsuit most closely resembles his skin tone, making him appear to be swimming naked. [/reply]

We have that one, but it's a she. Since I'm near-sighted, I thought she was naked the first time I saw her, as I swan by her. It wasn't a pretty thought.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A slightly distant cousin of - "Forgot my suit Guy" is "forgot to tie the drawstring in my suit guy" usually a rather rotund fellow. old boy jumps in, starts thrashing around causing his trunks to go much lower than necesarry. resulting in retinal damage to everyone with their eyes open underwater and having the sight of his crack burned into your brain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A slightly distant cousin of - "Forgot my suit Guy" is "forgot to tie the drawstring in my suit guy" usually a rather rotund fellow. old boy jumps in, starts thrashing around causing his trunks to go much lower than necesarry. resulting in retinal damage to everyone with their eyes open underwater and having the sight of his crack burned into your brain.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is huge. "Nervous BJ Guy"....hopefully they are quite rare...

Spot

Quote | Reply
My least favorite denizen is "I don't look like much but I'll be lapping your butt" guy/girl. Seems to be a lot of them at my pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [MPB1950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yes...I am unfortunately quite familiar with that species as well...

Spot

Quote | Reply
At the pool I swim we have an adult-only open swim time that is in the late morning. Mostly it is a social time at the pool for some of the older citizenry in the area. I actually think it is a great time for them. Luckily they leave a lane or two for lap swimming. It is not the best time to swim laps because you have to dodge the "kickboarders," but sometimes you gotta do what you gatta do.

The reason I bring this up is because there is a group of these folks that go straight to the hot tub and sit for 45 minutes straight. The unusual thing is that they sing songs the whole time they are in the hot tub. Mostly they do the standards from their eras. They aren't bad really, I always want to ask if they take requests!

Bernie

Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [MPB1950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]My least favorite denizen is "I don't look like much but I'll be lapping your butt" guy/girl. Seems to be a lot of them at my pool.[/reply]

How about, "I only started swimming 3 weeks ago but I'll be lapping your butt" guy/gal.

I hate those ones.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, those are an especially pernicious subspecies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a woman that does her own "one woman water aerobics show" at the pool I swim at.

She just gets out there in the middle of the pool and dances to NO MUSiC (except perhaps the music in her head).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still working on reading all the entries in this HUGELY entertaining post, so I hope I don't replicate some other characters that appear at my Y:
  • Nearly bald guy who dog paddles in the fitness lane wearing a red 1-piece WOMEN's swimsuit. Disturbing.
  • Old guy who likes to look at me in my cute Splish suits (yes, I look good in them) and talk to me. Today he jumped in while I was 10" away from my next fast 100, and I said, "No talking--workout."
  • Crazy lady who "swims" with gloves on and then talks loudly to herself while in the shower.
  • Angry fast swimmer guy (he's REALLY fast) who never cracks a smile. One time he just about told me, "You suck," but then bit his lip when I told him I'd only been swimming a few years.
  • Clueless woman--she jumps in the middle of an outside lane, then proceeds to cross THROUGH ALL THE LANES to the other side of the pool. What does this mean???
  • Flailing man--he tries to do backstroke, but his arms look like jumping carp. AND he wears white goggles on his pasty white face with pasty white beard.
  • Tattooed lip lady (she also has fake boobs)--she does backstroke while laying on top of a kickboard, and does not enjoy sharing a lane with me

I'm sure I'll think of more later. You need to make a Periodic Table of Pool Creatures a la Matt Groening's chart of "People You Find at Work" from "Work is Hell."
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Veggie Terror] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My name must be "What's Written on her Butt?" since I have a bunch of Splish suits that say things on the butt like Arrrgh, Yikes!, etc.

Although I happen to prefer "Butt Model."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think he had a misconception of the sport of triathlon and wanted to pay to you an initiation fee?
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Wiso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Likely.
I really had no urge to get into a more in-depth discussion with him, particularly what he may or may not have perceived as "energy gels".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great! I thought I was the only one who noticed all these characters. Here's a few more:

-The Bathers - The sweaty old men who go directy from the steamroom into the pool to wash off their sweat, Repeat X 10.

-H2O Aerobics- Great open water training as these ladies create quite a chop.

-Old Men's Fraternity- Hang out on the steps of the pool for hours shooting the bull. Its funny, but I know they are all pissing in there as they talk.

-Another "Forgot my Bathing Suit" Guy - Tighty whities, the next best thing. He loves to strut his stuff around the pool too after his 2 laps.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [fefe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> My name must be "What's Written on her Butt?" since I have a bunch of Splish suits that say things on the butt like Arrrgh, Yikes!, etc. Although I happen to prefer "Butt Model."

Fefe, that post just screams for a photo!

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL...and he didn't even ask whether you prefer to ride forward or slack :)

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You outed yourself! This thread is hilarious. Has anyone added the nazi water aerobic instructor who threatens postal on lap swimmers.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my town, the water aerobics/lap swimmers feud has gotten so Crips and Bloods that we've been told to stick to different pools between April 15 and October 15 (the time of year when we've got three different outdoor pools open) And then when we consolidate down to one pool for the winter, we're strongly encouraged to use that pool at different times to prevent any more latercations.

I'm the unbeached whale- the former competitive swimmer who ended up putting on weight after college and is still not back down to proper fighting weight, but can still move at a decent clip in the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"old guy with a snorkel." - geez. I thought I was the only one who had one of these folks. I'm shattered!

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply

Prev Next