Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [jefeloco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys have it rough. I only have 3 lanes at the gym I work/swim at. And one of those is supposed to be for walking. Only once over the last 4 months have I had to share a lane. We do get some funny ones though. I am in the pool at all different times throughout the week, so I get to see everyone. Nothing to out of the oridanry.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, if I remember correctly from scuba diving class, at 10 meters depth the water pressure is 2 atmospheres. So, at the bottom of the shallow end, say 1 meter deep, the pressure is 1.1 atmospheres. Therefore, any vacuum you could pull above water would be reduced linearly depending on how deep you were. Plus, I assume there would be some friction in the 50 feet of hose they were using, as well as some leakage around the mouth and nose, so you couldn't get a perfect vacuum. So, I say, even in the shallow end, you would be damn lucky to get enough air through the hose to breathe adequately. At the bottom of the deep end, forget about it, no way. I could just see lungs collapsing or eyeballs exploding as they tried to suck air in.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There are also frequent sightings of "Horrific Hand Cross-Over Person"...sometimes men, but usually (in these parts) ladies. I've seen folks whose hand hits the water on the other side of their craniums!!

I saw this one (female) last week when I was traveling....I swear she was touching her ear on the other side of her head right before her hand hit the water! I was sooo tempted to say something.

lots of snorkel people at Barton Springs. And nekkid people at Hippie Hollow. But that's a whole other story. ;)

And the usual grey hairs early in the morning at the Y in one of the towns I work in....the water is so hot, I feel like I'm part of some nasty stew! (86 degrees at last check). They just bob around on their noodles. They give me really funny looks when I water run there, because I'm actually getting my heart to pump.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, we had a dude doing it yesterday. I was sorta watching, trying to figure out the mechanics of it. It appeared that his forearm was perpindicular to his extended body line when it hit the water!

Spot

Quote | Reply
'Wetsuit lady.' What 'da?!?!? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a wetuit was bad for a pool, and a pool is bad for a wetsuit? And yes, this was the type of wetsuit that you wear when the water's too cold, that makes you bum-o-licious, and cuts off time.

"You're faster than you think!" --Nike
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [trigrrlpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had to add this guy. Got in the pool at 9:02 pm, a guy is hanging on the bulkhead at the other end of the lane(25M). OK whatever, I get in and start swimming. A fe wlengths and he hasn't moved. Finally I see him start moving. I look at the clock, it's 9:12. He comes to the shallow end, swims back to the deep end, back on the bulkhead. More laps, and a friend of mine has jumped in my lane so we're circling, and he's still there. She gets out and grabs a free lane, and it's him and I again. He starts swimming again, this time it's 9:22. Turned out the guy swam like 150 meters in a half hour, with the rest of the time spent hanging on the bulkhead at the deep end. Ridiculous.

"I can endure more pain than anyone you've ever met. That's why I can beat anyone I've ever met." Steve Prefontaine, Without Limits
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Bluefan75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw a group of aquarobics ladies looking like they were all over 60 doing exercises to Def Leppard. I swam for 10 minutes and stopped to listen again....this time it was Motley Crue. They seemed to be enjoying themselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have "Naked Obsessive Compulsive Guy" at our pool. In his eighties, he shuffles out daily with fins, paddles, pullbouy and googles wearing his suit and old style swim cap. He walks over to the first lane and lays everything out in precise order, then walks around to the ladder and climbs in. He swims pretty well, probably competitive in his youth. One day, he walks in naked holding his equipment and his trunks. He lays them down in order the looks at the trunks. He stares for a few seconds, then looks down at his naked crotch. He tries to put the trunks on but the balance isn't there. He picks up his equipment in the usual order and shuffles back to the locker room. I know, I'm going to hell for thinking it was funny--I'm not knocking the guy. Like I said, he is a pretty good swimmer, but--IT WAS FUNNY!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, time to add a new one..."Mr. Disgusting"....

When I got to the pool this morning, the place was packed...I took the last lane. After a bit, everybody left, until I was the only one left. I decided to go grab one of the divided off lanes, since it was about time for the old fat ladies to come and start creating their giant currents in the shallow end. Just as I am about to duck under the lane divider, I see it, floating their next to the wall: a nice, green lugie, surrounded by white foamy crap. Yuck!! That was disgusting...I just about hurled. I cupped my hand under it and flung it into the side drains, but man, that was some kind of gross. It looked like the dude who was in that lane before hawked up a lugie and spit in the water, or blew half of his daily allowance of phlegm into the pool. Thank god for industrial strength chlorine.

I won't even mention the weirdo standing stark nekkid (save for a ratty baseball hat) in front of the mirror in the locker room, smearing lotion all over his hairy body.

Spot

Quote | Reply
You live far too close to me with these stories - please remind me where you swim so I'm sure not to go there :)

Oh wait, I have just about all those guys at my place as well!!! So, last night, I swim from about 9pm to 9:55 (they close at 10). In the locker room there is this 55-60ish guy sitting on one of the benches, in his underwear and socks, head hung over dead asleep. OK I thought... I showered quickly, changed, no one else around. He didn't budge. Getting nervous he is dead, so I slam the locker pretty hard - nothing. Shit - he's dead I thought so I go over to check his pulse and he startles up just as I come near and I'm about 1 inch from touching his neck and scares the Bejeebers out of me. He looks at me like what the hell are you doing coming over to me. I don't say one word and leave ... he never said one word either.

Scary places these YMCAs ...

Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the dudes who like to do pull-ups from the starting platforms? I really don't get that...its amazingly easy, yet these guys are there, pumping out the reps like nobody's business...

Spot

Quote | Reply
I swim in Orono on the weekdays, and Waterville on the weekends.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ummm ... OK. But why are you telling me (us) this? I'm pretty happily married, but a hot, young tri-chick? Are you trying to tempt me or what :)

Unfortunately there are not many like YOU where I swim ...

Quote | Reply
Probably because you replied to her on your last post, and not to me, I'm thinkin'....

Spot

Quote | Reply
LOL!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was replying to your above post:

"You live far too close to me with these stories - please remind me where you swim so I'm sure not to go there :) "

but, maybe jonnyo will show up and swim with me some morning ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, what Spot said

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I add Nuerotic Swimmer Gal?

i found out from my girlfriend who saw her dressing in the locker room that Nuerotic Swimmer Gal wears 2 suits, some sort of light anti-sunburn coverall suit, fins and paddles at all times in the pool. When she is not constantly blabbering about what she ate and that caloric intake, she'll kick like a wild banshee for about 16 laps and then get out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
yeah, what Spot said
Ah - gotcha! See it now :) LOL!

Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [a_quick_3k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now why does she need paddles if she's just kicking? hee hee!

Two swim suits is not uncommon for a 'real' swimmer. The second one adds drag. I hate wearing two suits... but most of the girls I swam with in high school always had two on.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I saw one yesterday. Strange, and tragic.

I walked into the pool area of the gym that I have only very recently begun to attend, and there, in the shower was an older SE Asian woman (Cambodian/Laotian/Vietnamese), who was completely emaciated. I bet i could have put the ring formed by my thumb and middle finger around her upper arm. Her legs weren't a lot bigger.

She truthfully looked like she just was freed from a Nazi death camp.

I dunno whether she was anorexic or there was something physically wrong with her, but she looked horrible.

She went into the sauna (to sweat offa few pounds?) then into the pool for a few laps, and got out.

Strange, but not funny.

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Xenu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh that's sad :(

Maybe she has multiple sclerosis. My aunt has MS, and she swims every morning. She is very thin because of the disease, but she tells me it is the highlight of her day that she can go to the pool and swim or water run.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh that's sad :(

Yes, it was.

Maybe she has multiple sclerosis.

I don't know. She was far thinner than anyone I know with MS (which is, admittedly very few...less than a handful). I'm guessing it was more likely an eating disorder, and she was there to work on slimming down. I don't know, and could very likely be wrong on that.

My aunt has MS, and she swims every morning. She is very thin because of the disease, but she tells me it is the highlight of her day that she can go to the pool and swim or water run.

That's another of those diseases I hope we can cure some day. The father of a friend of mine died of complications that trace back to MS. he probably didn't technically die of MS, but he did die from all the things that MS did to him, if that makes sense. I send good juju to your aunt.

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Xenu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing it was more likely an eating disorder, and she was there to work on slimming down.

in which case... oh I don't even know what to say. Eating disorders steal lives.

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [tim-mech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tim, if you are a 6' 4' Black Man we are twins without the pool buoy.

I am those guys plus:
Wetsuit guy. When I started swimmng 2 years ago:
1) I could not swim long or far enough to stay warm.
2) I could only swim 1/2 a length without the suit and 1 length with it. BTW it was a 40 yard pool.

Cramp Guy. Bad enough I could barely get from end to end, but after about 20 minutes of being cold and struggling to swim, I would get a leg cramp in the middle of the pool. This was ok until I swam in a real competition 50 meter pool that was 10 ft deep end to end for a swim clinic and almost drown.

Guy who looks like he can swim, but can't!
I have cool swim trunks or DeSoto tri shorts, I am VERY tall, muscular, low body fat, but I SINK like a rock.

Loud Burp Guy: After struggling and hyervenilating to get to the other end of the pool. I arrive wheezing and gasping only to go BURRRRRRRRRRP!

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply

Prev Next