Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Storing carbon bike frame in cold garage
Quote | Reply
Hey ST'ers,

Question I thought I would run by the experts just for piece of mind. Looking to put my tri bike (carbon frame) in the garage storage for the winter and it will probably get as low as high 30''s in there (Minnesota winters). Could these temps in any way do any damage to the bike? It would be in a storage area right above the car but sort of be out in the open. Would never get snow or wet near it, just cold temps. While I'm sure this is a stupid question, this is my first winter with a garage and I'm not sure if there is something I am missing.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Storing carbon bike frame in cold garage [Tryda33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it will probably explode.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Storing carbon bike frame in cold garage [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like you have a nice garage if it only gets to the high 30's even when it is -25 outside...I don't know your answer but can tell you as a fellow MN I have already moved mine indoors, call me stupidly cautious. My question would be why not just keep it indoors and not worry?
Quote Reply
Re: Storing carbon bike frame in cold garage [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ilikepizza wrote:
sounds like you have a nice garage if it only gets to the high 30's even when it is -25 outside...I don't know your answer but can tell you as a fellow MN I have already moved mine indoors, call me stupidly cautious. My question would be why not just keep it indoors and not worry?

Because I already have two other bikes indoors and not enough room to store a third :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Colorado and have kept my carbon bikes in the garage for the last 5 years and have not seen any ill effects. The 3rd stall of my garage also doubles as my Pain Cave where I have the trainer set up. It easily gets below freezing out there and aside from some cold fingers and toes for the first 10 minutes I've had no problems. YMMV though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tryda33 wrote:
ilikepizza wrote:

Because I already have two other bikes indoors and not enough room to store a third :-)

Buy a bigger house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's an article in VeloNews from a couple years ago about the subject.......claimed cold temps is not an issue with carbon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tryda33 wrote:
Hey ST'ers,

Question I thought I would run by the experts just for piece of mind. Looking to put my tri bike (carbon frame) in the garage storage for the winter and it will probably get as low as high 30''s in there (Minnesota winters). Could these temps in any way do any damage to the bike? It would be in a storage area right above the car but sort of be out in the open. Would never get snow or wet near it, just cold temps. While I'm sure this is a stupid question, this is my first winter with a garage and I'm not sure if there is something I am missing.

Thanks

Not sure if serious ........

Quote | Reply
it will be fine. with carbon bikes you have to worry more about thermocycling and breaking down the resin than temperature extremes. so as long as your garage doesn't go from 0deg at night to upper 90deg during the day regularly you are fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want real piece of mind, I suggest getting one of my "Aeroblanket" polyfleece bike blankets. Your choice of colour, $50 shipped. PM me for info.
Quote Reply
Re: Storing carbon bike frame in cold garage [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is full of lousy advice. Poor guy's bike is going to explode, and it will be all your fault...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
This thread is full of lousy advice. Poor guy's bike is going to explode, and it will be all your fault...
well at least with the bike blanket the blast will be contained.
Quote Reply
Re: Storing carbon bike frame in cold garage [Clempson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clempson wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

well at least with the bike blanket the blast will be contained.

You're thinking about the Aeroblanket Ballistic, which are lined. Those run $110.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

It is a myth that they explode due to cold. They only appear to explode due to the frame coming apart and puncturing the tires. Technically the frame does not explode, just the tires and people are thinking the loud explosion they hear is the from the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Storing carbon bike frame in cold garage [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

It is a myth that they explode due to cold. They only appear to explode due to the frame coming apart and puncturing the tires. Technically the frame does not explode, just the tires and people are thinking the loud explosion they hear is the from the frame.

So...the seat will be fine? I could use a new seat.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing I would be concerned with is when the temp goes down and then back up several times you will get condensation it. That causes rust on some parts of the bike.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of varying opinions with no discernible right or wrong.

I wouldn't take the chance with either of my bikes and find some way to store it inside.

Who really needs a nightstand by their bed anyway? ;)

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbon is great in compression, which will result when the temps start to drop and the molecules get closer together.

I would be more worried about the fiber that is part of the composition. The fiber is designed to handle the tensile loads, and when the tensions is reversed due to cold weather, this fiber will buckle and your bike will explode
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

It's amazing how obnoxious people can be.

There may not be any issues with the frame being in the cold temperatures, but there can be issues with brake pads, tires and other rubber/plastic parts kept in cold temperatures for long periods of time. Likewise, I have had decals crack on a frame that was stored in cold temperatures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be fine. Many of us ride in temps colder then that on our bikes year round.

There are also many applications where carbon fiber is used in winter sports - skis, ski poles, curling brooms, you get the idea. I have carbon parts on my car that I drive all winter long. Airplanes are made from the stuff, fly at high altitudes (Colder) and are fine. Bikes are nothing special in the world of composites, leave it in your garage you will be fine. I would be more worried about the sun. You should defiantly cover it with one of my custom uv blocking bike wraps, $75. Cold wont hurt your frame but UV rays will break down the epoxy leaving you with a limp noodle of a frame. What guy wants a limp noodle? Not me, that is why I always use my UV bike wrap.
Last edited by: QuattroCreep: Nov 21, 14 12:51
Quote Reply
Re: Storing carbon bike frame in cold garage [QuattroCreep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QuattroCreep wrote:
You will be fine. Many of us ride in temps colder then that on our bikes year round.

There are also many applications where carbon fiber is used in winter sports - skis, ski poles, curling brooms, you get the idea. I have carbon parts on my car that I drive all winter long. Airplanes are made from the stuff, fly at high altitudes (Colder) and are fine. Bikes are nothing special in the world of composites, leave it in your garage you will be fine. I would be more worried about the sun. You should defiantly cover it with one of my custom uv blocking bike wraps, $75. Cold wont hurt your frame but UV rays will break down the epoxy leaving you with a limp noodle of a frame. What guy wants a limp noodle? Not me, that is why I always use my UV bike wrap.

not sure if this guy is completely serious but he's the closest to an honest answer here:) I have some experience with carbon in marine applications. Cold = no biggie (and I live in northern NY, same winter as MN). UV light = bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wings on the 787 and several other airplanes are made mostly of carbon fiber. The temps at 35,000 feet are routinely -50c or below, and the winds are under quite a bit of load, including flexing in turbulance, not just sitting around. There are some good reasons not to store any bike in a garage (i.e. moisture) but cold in and of itself is not an issue for carbon.

Last edited by: STP: Nov 21, 14 13:20
Quote Reply
Re: Storing carbon bike frame in cold garage [kollac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kollac wrote:
UV light = bad.

That's why I don't ride my carbon bike outside. The sunlight is bad for it.

Unless your bike is just pure carbon and is not painted you have nothing to worry about from UV light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike will explode. It will fail catastrophically before spring. You better give it to me so it doesn't go to waste.
Quote Reply

Prev Next