Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Storing bikes in hot temperatures
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know at what sort of temperature bikes would start to get damaged if stored for a long time? I'm thinking things like grease breaking down, plastic or rubber parts melting or deforming, paint and stickers peeling off, issues with carbon fibre, etc. I've just moved to Dubai and going to be here for 3 years, temperature outside is currently over 40C (104F) and gets a fair bit hotter in high summer (~120F or 50C).

Can probably store 1-2 bikes in the house with air con, but between my wife and I we'll have about 6 bikes out here (plus the kids bikes), so some are going to have to be stored somewhere hot. Still choosing where to live but there's a reasonable chance we won't have a garage (or will need to use the garage for the cars) in which case I'm thinking my best storage option is to put up a small bike shed in the garden but that's going to get very hot.
Quote Reply
Re: Storing bikes in hot temperatures [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live outside of Tampa and store my bikes in my garage which at times is clearly hotter than outside (the heat from two cars with hot engines being parked there). I have not noticed any problems. Curious to see replies.
Quote Reply
Re: Storing bikes in hot temperatures [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Phoenix and just store them in the garage.
Road tri and beach cruiser and have never had an issue.
Just keep them from direct sun and they should be fine in my opinion.
4 months of the year it's surface of the Sun hot here.
Quote Reply
Re: Storing bikes in hot temperatures [ivanthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Does seem like it gets a good 20F higher over here which is slightly nuts. Definitely keeping the bikes out of the sun, and the expensive ones in the air con. Have spoken to a few local cyclists now and they do say that any bikes left in garages or sheds do age a lot faster. Rust, grease drying out, bar tape, etc.
Quote Reply