Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stop slipping carbon seat post with loctite
Quote | Reply
I have a slipping carbon seatpost. I have tried everything to stop the slip. Just wondering if loctite retaining compund might do the trick to fill in the tiny gap. Anyone tried this? Any dangers of using it with carbon?
Quote Reply
Re: Stop slipping carbon seat post with loctite [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carbon grip paste didnt work?

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
build up several coats of hairspray on the post over a few days. worked for me when carbon paste didnt.
Last edited by: zamm0: Jan 24, 15 14:37
Quote Reply
Re: Stop slipping carbon seat post with loctite [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do the same with the clamp too if u can
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or, use some electrical tape and wrap a few layers of it around the seat post, just above the clamp

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Loctite threadlocking compound is designed for a metal substrate. It won't bond well to carbon. And even if it did, it'd likely be way overkill. Use carbon paste.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 24, 15 13:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hairspray works for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Stop slipping carbon seat post with loctite [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The electrical tape seems to be working but i dont want to always be paranoid that im slipping little by little. Looking for something thats really going to lock me in with no doubt. I will try the hairspray. The carbon paste didnt work at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Stop slipping carbon seat post with loctite [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Loctite threadlocking compound is designed for a metal substrate.
Loctite 425 works on plastics.

http://www.henkelna.com/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797887234049
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aluminium foil folded several times worked on my onld P2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justtrime wrote:
I have a slipping carbon seatpost. I have tried everything to stop the slip. Just wondering if loctite retaining compund might do the trick to fill in the tiny gap. Anyone tried this? Any dangers of using it with carbon?

Are you sure the clamp is the correct size?
Quote Reply
Re: Stop slipping carbon seat post with loctite [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
Loctite 425 works on plastics.

I learn something new! Didn't know about 425, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a round post, get a secondary collar ($7-10 on ebay). Lots of pros use this, and it has the added bonus of always being able to set your seat height exactly when travelling.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Stop slipping carbon seat post with loctite [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought of that solution, but it is an aero post. It is a cervelo S5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a thought for you. The seat post on my P5 kept slipping when I got it. Pasted, and pasted, and pasted. Contacted Cervelo...they said no problems with P5 seat post slipping. My shop guy is good, but he couldn't figure it out. So, I broke it all down, cleaned the post inside and out. Then at the end I felt a little something on the inside. Scraped (gently) it out and it was a little piece of paper apparently left over from the molding process. Re-pasted and haven't had a problem since.

Best wishes,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One important step is to completely clean the post and the inside of the seat tube first. A lot of people neglect this step and just add carbon paste over whatever's already on there, and a contaminant such as grease can reduce the effectiveness of the carbon paste. Wipe all contact surfaces down thoroughly and then clean with alcohol solvent, which won't leave any residue like some other solvents. Then apply a layer of Fiber Grip on the contact surfaces. In most cases this should take care of the problem. You can also carefully rough up the surfaces a bit if this doesn't take care of the problem.

If this doesn't work there's likely a manufacturing QA problem. You may need to do something such as shim a little bit with a bit of aluminum from a soda or beer can, but I'd try a complete clean and redo first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
If you have a round post, get a secondary collar ($7-10 on ebay). Lots of pros use this, and it has the added bonus of always being able to set your seat height exactly when travelling.
tttiltheend wrote:
One important step is to completely clean the post and the inside of the seat tube first. A lot of people neglect this step and just add carbon paste over whatever's already on there, and a contaminant such as grease can reduce the effectiveness of the carbon paste.

Good info - thanks.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I think I found the best fix. I cut up a long piece of thin bike tube that I had laying around. I just fit it between the clamp and the saddle. Between the space the rubber takes up, the extra compression that can be had by the clamp, and the friction of the rubber, I think my slippage problems are over and I can stop worrying. I'm going to test the theory tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did it work? How did you secure the tube to the post?

I have a Wilier Triestina Cento1 Crono 2010, the aero carbon seat post has been slipping since day one, as the seat post does not fit snug in the frame, it has quite a bit of play before using the clamp that squeezes a carbon fiber lip onto the seat post. I had tried everything with limited success, from carbon fibre compound -did not work-, to hockey tape -did not hold in the heat-, to electrical tape -did not hold in the heat-, to wrapping a piece of cotton T-shirt -worked for a while- and the last iteration was a piece of can wrapped inside the carbon fiber lip mentioned above -did not work. I hear a creaking noise when the post starts moving just marginally and the next I know, my seat post is now a few inches lower, so frustrating.
I will be trying the t-shirt and hairspray, trying to find also a second clamp to put on top of the original.
Quote Reply
Re: Stop slipping carbon seat post with loctite [lperon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lperon wrote:
Did it work? How did you secure the tube to the post?

I have a Wilier Triestina Cento1 Crono 2010, the aero carbon seat post has been slipping since day one, as the seat post does not fit snug in the frame, it has quite a bit of play before using the clamp that squeezes a carbon fiber lip onto the seat post. I had tried everything with limited success, from carbon fibre compound -did not work-, to hockey tape -did not hold in the heat-, to electrical tape -did not hold in the heat-, to wrapping a piece of cotton T-shirt -worked for a while- and the last iteration was a piece of can wrapped inside the carbon fiber lip mentioned above -did not work. I hear a creaking noise when the post starts moving just marginally and the next I know, my seat post is now a few inches lower, so frustrating.
I will be trying the t-shirt and hairspray, trying to find also a second clamp to put on top of the original.

You have the wrong size post then.

All Carbon pastes are not the same, something like Tacx is quite fine and Park is at the other end of the spectrum with virtual boulders rolling around in it.
Park for difficult ones.
Aero posts often use a sliding wedge and people neglect to apply normal grease to the sliding parts, do not forget to do this.
Quote Reply
Re: Stop slipping carbon seat post with loctite [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.
No wedge on this one unfortunately, just an aluminum clamp with one bolt on the back side. See image showcasing frame opening below.

Quote Reply
Re: Stop slipping carbon seat post with loctite [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not sure Park is all that coarse. We’ve had the best luck with finish line fiber grip when fit is problematic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to use this technique for my bike and it works well. Added bonus is it marks your seat height so you when travelling I know where exactly my seat height needs to be

Titanflexr wrote:

"The lion doesn't concern itself with the opinions of the sheep"
Quote Reply