Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St'er Thomas Gerlach...super fast run split (edit) at Wildflower and 4th overall
Quote | Reply
Thomas is a regular contributor around here and I thought this result at Wildflower deserved its own thread. That was a really tough run course at Wildflower with a split, run through loose sand on the first run and something like 1600 ft of climbing overall on the runs only and Thomas ran a fast combined time at 1:21 (don't let the time tell the story). From what I gather, like most of us, he works full time, but is competitive as a pro too. Congrats Thomas. Would love to hear the blow by blow. How far is this off your open half marathon split? Do you do any trail running in training (I recall some threads about treadmill running).

http://raceresults.eternaltiming.com/index.cfm/20150502_Wildflower_Triathlons.htm?Fuseaction=Results&Class=Elite+Elite~Top20

Dev
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 4, 15 6:21
Quote Reply
Re: St'er Thomas Gerlach...2nd fastest run split at Wildflower, 4th overall [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i guess he borrowed the lead car from Davide ( pink )

Well done Thomas ( not pink )
Quote Reply
Re: St'er Thomas Gerlach...2nd fastest run split at Wildflower, 4th overall [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev....not to split hairs (& no disrespect to Tom), but he had the 5th fastest pro run split.

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was surprised not to see any mention of Gerlach or Rapp in the front page article.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: St'er Thomas Gerlach...2nd fastest run split at Wildflower, 4th overall [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darn, I must have been blind....maybe too tired from doing WF and then work related stuff last night. I see Matty Reed pulled off a crazy fast 1:16 run. That is insane on those runs at WF. Nevertheless, still want to hear from Thomas. I just scanned the top 10 results, so maybe some guys further down had faster runs. Sorry about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Darn, I must have been blind....maybe too tired from doing WF and then work related stuff last night. I see Matty Reed pulled off a crazy fast 1:16 run. That is insane on those runs at WF. Nevertheless, still want to hear from Thomas. I just scanned the top 10 results, so maybe some guys further down had faster runs. Sorry about that.

You must be getting old -_-

Maybe you actually ran 1:21

Sorry, but I'm keeping the 2 million Loonys and the two-four of Moosehead!

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: St'er Thomas Gerlach...2nd fastest run split at Wildflower, 4th overall [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

You must be getting old -_-

Maybe you actually ran 1:21

Sorry, but I'm keeping the 2 million Loonys and the two-four of Moosehead!

Well, we'll just leave that as my philanthropic contribution to the California tri scene (a big philanthropic contribution as a percent of nothing is still....nothing). OK back to Gerhlach. Where is he hiding out?
Quote Reply
Re: St'er Thomas Gerlach...super fast run split (edit) at Wildflower and 4th overall [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev........awesome result for Gerlach. He said he was ready to pounce at WF. He executed. He did this by working about as full time as me! Making up for this, he does train on a commuter bike with Power Cranks. This might as well be a full time job!
Quote Reply
Re: St'er Thomas Gerlach...super fast run split (edit) at Wildflower and 4th overall [paulthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what is his full time job outside of tri?
Quote Reply
Re: St'er Thomas Gerlach...super fast run split (edit) at Wildflower and 4th overall [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huge Congrats to Thomas! Stoked to see both him and Matt Lieto rip out big races in Wildflower. It would be hard to find two guys more passionate about the sport than them!

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: St'er Thomas Gerlach...super fast run split (edit) at Wildflower and 4th overall [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe he works in medical sales or something to that effect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To my knowledge, he used to work a few years ago. Been a full time pro for a few years now. Maybe he'll come on and add to the conversation.

devashish_paul wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on a great race at the epic Wildflower Thomas! You know how all of us ST'ers rally around each other (or shit talk each other) so it's great to see you gave us a reason to praise you! I owe you one shit talk session in the future to balance things out! LOL

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Thomas is a regular contributor around here and I thought this result at Wildflower deserved its own thread. That was a really tough run course at Wildflower with a split, run through loose sand on the first run and something like 1600 ft of climbing overall on the runs only and Thomas ran a fast combined time at 1:21 (don't let the time tell the story). From what I gather, like most of us, he works full time, but is competitive as a pro too. Congrats Thomas. Would love to hear the blow by blow. How far is this off your open half marathon split? Do you do any trail running in training (I recall some threads about treadmill running).
http://raceresults.eternaltiming.com/index.cfm/20150502_Wildflower_Triathlons.htm?Fuseaction=Results&Class=Elite+Elite~Top20
Dev

Congrats to Thomas for his excellent 4th place finish!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: May 4, 15 18:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: St'er Thomas Gerlach...super fast run split (edit) at Wildflower and 4th overall [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

Just for everyone's info so that you don't have to read the front page article, the run splits at WF are for a total of 15.1 miles of running, 2.2 in the S to B transition, and 12.9 in the actual run segment. Just FYI:)

I think you have your facts mixed up.
Quote Reply
Re: St'er Thomas Gerlach...super fast run split (edit) at Wildflower and 4th overall [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Dev

Just for everyone's info so that you don't have to read the front page article, the run splits at WF are for a total of 15.1 miles of running, 2.2 in the S to B transition, and 12.9 in the actual run segment. Just FYI:)

And of course, congrats to Thomas for his excellent 4th place finish!!!

I don't think that is correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he is an architect. I'm not sure he's working in that field in Tucson. And he could be working in medical sales as these jobs often offer flexibility to those pursuing athletic endeavors.
Quote Reply
Re: St'er Thomas Gerlach...super fast run split (edit) at Wildflower and 4th overall [get2T2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The front page article is incorrect. It was a 2.2 mile run number 1 (albeit big climb and quicksand) and the 10.9 mile quad thrashing run number 2. It was magical in a Wildflower type of way (as much as one may like self inflicted pain). As much as we would like to believe it was 15+ miles total, it actually was ONLY 13.1 (sure felt like 15 though)
Quote Reply
Re: St'er Thomas Gerlach...super fast run split (edit) at Wildflower and 4th overall [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

I think you have your facts mixed up.

I was just quoting the front page article. I'll correct now:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Paul, I worked in medical sales and did a lifetime of work in a short span working for Guidant, Boston Scientific, and Biotronik. However, now I li ve a simple life,and as Paul Thomas mentioned, I do most of my biking on Power Cranks. Commuting around the city doing things like riding to the pool, going to PT proactively, and doing other errands like grocery shopping.

The run split was good but the story isn't reflected in the time. I actually ran the first run split very slow - partly because I am a terrible downhill runner. I got passed by many people on run 1 including Scottie D who prob was 30 seconds behind but was at least 45 seconds up on me by the end of T1. I also started run two slow and walked some of the steeper sections as well just not to blow up. I passed Rapp, Killam, Giardini, Brian Flesch, Bowstead, and finally Garcia so I consider that to be a solid run. As Paul mentioned I was confident in my run going in so I was glad I was able to back that up. I did have the faster run split at two pro races last year but people rarely consider my run to be anything better than below average.

Sorry for late reply. After the race I worked for Powerbar for 3 hours (another Powerbar sponsored athlete made fun of me, even boasting that they do not need to work events), then I went to the awards, socialized a bit and left Wildflower at 9:30pm, drove straight thru the night to Tucson and got back on Sunday morning around 8am. Did some social posts, took a cat nap, and got busy packing everything I own and cleaned my apartment. My lease ended yesterday and had to be out and I am on my way back to Wisconsin for summer. Fwiw, the apartment property manager said she had never seen an apartment so clean and that it was better than when I moved in. I mention this only because there are a lot of things people would throw money at that I don't and instead go the extra mile to make it happen - this is partly how I get away with no working by managing the bottom line extremely aggressively. Btw, I was essentially up for 3 days straight with a 70.3 + 750 miles. I don't roll with with a significant other, I don't have any outside support, and you won't ever find me posting a picture of my morning latte on social media. I'll be away from ST for a bit, just checked in because someone mentioned this to me specifically today but thanks for noticing the run :)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: St'er Thomas Gerlach...super fast run split (edit) at Wildflower and 4th overall [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for keeping in touch with your fans. this is quite important for pro athletes to do and sponsors should award
Quote Reply
Re: St'er Thomas Gerlach...super fast run split (edit) at Wildflower and 4th overall [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Paul, I worked in medical sales and did a lifetime of work in a short span working for Guidant, Boston Scientific, and Biotronik. However, now I li ve a simple life,and as Paul Thomas mentioned, I do most of my biking on Power Cranks. Commuting around the city doing things like riding to the pool, going to PT proactively, and doing other errands like grocery shopping.

The run split was good but the story isn't reflected in the time. I actually ran the first run split very slow - partly because I am a terrible downhill runner. I got passed by many people on run 1 including Scottie D who prob was 30 seconds behind but was at least 45 seconds up on me by the end of T1. I also started run two slow and walked some of the steeper sections as well just not to blow up. I passed Rapp, Killam, Giardini, Brian Flesch, Bowstead, and finally Garcia so I consider that to be a solid run. As Paul mentioned I was confident in my run going in so I was glad I was able to back that up. I did have the faster run split at two pro races last year but people rarely consider my run to be anything better than below average.

Sorry for late reply. After the race I worked for Powerbar for 3 hours (another Powerbar sponsored athlete made fun of me, even boasting that they do not need to work events), then I went to the awards, socialized a bit and left Wildflower at 9:30pm, drove straight thru the night to Tucson and got back on Sunday morning around 8am. Did some social posts, took a cat nap, and got busy packing everything I own and cleaned my apartment. My lease ended yesterday and had to be out and I am on my way back to Wisconsin for summer. FWIW, the apartment property manager said she had never seen an apartment so clean and that it was better than when I moved in. I mention this only because there are a lot of things people would throw money at that I don't and instead go the extra mile to make it happen - this is partly how I get away with no working by managing the bottom line extremely aggressively. BTW, I was essentially up for 3 days straight with a 70.3 + 750 miles. I don't roll with with a significant other, I don't have any outside support, and you won't ever find me posting a picture of my morning latte on social media. I'll be away from ST for a bit, just checked in because someone mentioned this to me specifically today but thanks for noticing the run :)

Very cool philosophy, agree 100%.

Quote Reply
Re: St'er Thomas Gerlach...super fast run split (edit) at Wildflower and 4th overall [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
thanks for keeping in touch with your fans. this is quite important for pro athletes to do and sponsors should award

LIKE!
Quote Reply