Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Starky Wins Louisville
Quote | Reply
If you can, check out Starky's interview at the finish line. WOW. no words.

It's been not only his road to recovery after his horrific accident, but at the same time his young son was in the ICU battling sickness as well. And through all of that he and his family have pushed through. Absolutely inspirational.

You can check it on the live finisher's feed at ironman.com and just advance to 8:10

Standing ovation Andrew. Wishing you and your family all the very best.
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Wins Louisville [Alfredo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing how he's persevered over the last 15 or so months. Truly inspirational to make such a quick comeback to top form.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alfredo wrote:
It's been not only his road to recovery after his horrific accident, but at the same time his young son was in the ICU battling sickness as well. And through all of that he and his family have pushed through. Absolutely inspirational.
You can check it on the live finisher's feed at ironman.com and just advance to 8:10

+1000, he is a true class act.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Wins Louisville [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was great to see him in the finish chute helping to bring in the late finishers, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if anyone needs some motivation after a crash, hit, or anything else that life throws at you, look no forward that Starky
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alfredo wrote:

"There is Always Hope" Words to live by.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Link?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the video still online somewhere?
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Wins Louisville [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to the finish line cam on the bottom of this page and scroll to about 18 minutes in. http://www.ironman.com/...y=2017#axzz4vg8E6lcj
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Wins Louisville [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL @ Jesse Thomas on twitter

Andrew Starykowicz @starykowicz
15h
Mankind has no limits. 14 months, from dragged under a truck to @IRONMANtri #champion.

Jesse Thomas @jessemthomas
13h
Replying to @starykowicz @IRONMANtri
Congrats man!

Jesse Thomas
@jessemthomas
Replying to @jessemthomas @starykowicz @IRONMANtri
Also, did you really have to post that leg pic!? Damn!!
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Wins Louisville [dogchili94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple of questions. Does his win get him to Kona next year? What will the front of that race look like with him at the front of the swim and bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why have my allergies suddenly decided to act up?

This guy is a beast. He is iron. Bravo Starky. Bravo.
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Wins Louisville [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually shed a tear watching that. When he mentioned his wife and kids, I could feel just how much he wanted to speak to them at that moment. What a journey. What a fighter!
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Wins Louisville [skaas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skaas wrote:
Couple of questions. Does his win get him to Kona next year? What will the front of that race look like with him at the front of the swim and bike?

I don't think so, but he is very close in the sense, he probably needs to do another IM, maybe 4th or 5th and a couple of 70.3
Basically he doesn;t need to chase points too hard
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Wins Louisville [skaas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skaas wrote:

It would be an interesting dynamic because Starky is a strong swimmer that would be in the first group. Does he ride away from that group? Does he take it easy and wait for Wurf, Kienle, and Sanders to catch up? If so, those four working together in a train could put very real distance between themselves and the rest of the field. For guys like Starky and Wurf it might be in their interest because while it might not be a winning strategy it could very well be a podium strategy for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Wins Louisville [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BradC wrote:
Go to the finish line cam on the bottom of this page and scroll to about 18 minutes in. http://www.ironman.com/...y=2017#axzz4vg8E6lcj

This is well worth the watch!! What a gutsy display of perseverance. Congrats to Starky!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think "take it easy and wait" is a concept Starky even comprehends. I say he'd power away from the lead group and just dare people to try and catch him. But also don't think anybody would be overly concerned. He'd be allowed a 10 minute lead coming into T2, or 20+ on guys like Lange.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even if he is capable of taking it easy and waiting for Kienle and Sanders, I don't think his marathon, even relatively rested, gets him to the line first if he gets to T2 with the front pack. He's gotta use the monster swim/bike combo to open up a huge gap and hold on as long as he can.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Wins Louisville [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, that's why I said working with Sanders, Kienle, and Wurf would be a "podium" strategy but maybe not a winning strategy. If those four got to T2 15-20 minutes ahead of the bulk of the field, realistically it would only be Sanders and Kienle that could run it in but that doesn't mean that a guy like Starky couldn't hold on for third.

It used to be that Starky was really one of a kind. Now there are a couple of guys out there that are sort of in his zip code. So the question is, what gets Starky to T2 the fastest: going solo off the front, or holding back a bit in the beginning and waiting for the other uber bikers and then working with them?

With Wurf, Sanders, and Kienle things were a bit strung out at the front at times this year. If you throw a fourth guy into the mix and the conditions are at all calm, that's a legitimate group that can work together.
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Wins Louisville [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Even if he is capable of taking it easy and waiting for Kienle and Sanders, I don't think his marathon, even relatively rested, gets him to the line first if he gets to T2 with the front pack. He's gotta use the monster swim/bike combo to open up a huge gap and hold on as long as he can.

Just replying to the last post:

Remember Starky did race Kona 3-4 years ago and blatantly said that he was trying for the bike record. IIRC, the winds were relatively strong that year and it wasn't going to be a record day anyway, but Starky got sick on the bike and blamed the Powerbar Perform drink.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply