Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stans Alpha wheels
Quote | Reply
My LBS is offering a new set for of the Stans Alpha 340 road wheels for about 2/3 what Stans shows on their site.

Has anyone tried them? Comments?

Thanks.
Last edited by: Tri-Bum: Jul 31, 15 17:38
Quote Reply
Re: Stans Alpha wheels [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a set that I use on my commuter/cross bike. I haven't had a ton of experience with them, but they seem pretty solid to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Stans Alpha wheels [fornio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had the first gen of these and a few sets of MTB wheels.

Used them tubeless and they lost spoke tension when I had a tire on them due to the bead seat deign. Then I had to retention the wheel. One I got a flat I could not get the bead to seat properly and then had too much tension on the spokes and the holes cracked.

I also dented one in a cross race as I also did with my MTB wheels.

When's back to stronger rims after that.
Quote Reply
Re: Stans Alpha wheels [ajh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. These are current wheels (made in the last year).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am running these tubeless for about 8K miles laced to a DA front and PT rear via Sapim xrays.

Recently the front wheel has developed a shuddering under braking. It has gotten progressively worse. I took it to the LBS and nothing was visibly wrong, but the problem was confirmed and isolated to the wheel. The wear indicators are still visible. Stans was contacted and they haven't seen this problem and really offered nothing. My guess is that these very low weight rims might have been machined thinner in one section by error and under rim heating are experiencing some flexing.

When deciding on a wheelset, it was these or American Classic as they are low weight as well. I have read a few reports that state the AC seem to experience issues around the seam causing a problem with braking as well.

I have decided to have the front rebuilt with another 340 rim and see how it goes. I like them a lot otherwise and of course am never going back to tubes.
Last edited by: robabeatle: Aug 1, 15 5:24
Quote Reply
Re: Stans Alpha wheels [robabeatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did you go with the 340 vs. the 400 rims? Is there that much of a noticeable difference in weight?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh, not sure why, frankly.

LBS suggestion
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of the 340 comps on my cross/ gravel road racer. They have been totally great. I love riding tubeless in the gravel. I'm currently running Michelin Mud 2 tires but am going to go to something that seals well and has more volume. While great for cross I think they would made a very good road well just not great. I'm not saying its a bad choice I just like something a little deeper even for training wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm rolling a set on 400 rims laced to Tune hubs with CX Ray spokes with 23c Fusion 3 tubeless tires (these are close to the size of most 25c tires) and they have been fantastic. Weight is like 1350g which is pretty light for an every day wheelset. The only issue I see with the 340s is the rims tend to wear fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another piece of info.

IRC roadlites 25 mm measure 28 mm on the 340s which really slowed down my steering. I am going with 23 mm up front from now on.
Last edited by: robabeatle: Aug 2, 15 4:48
Quote Reply