Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stages finally makes a dual sided power meter
Quote | Reply
http://www.bikeradar.com/...s-and-pricing-50683/

$1299

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Stages finally makes a dual sided power meter [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abbreviated title: stages finally makes power meter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Stages and it works well enough for me, but in hindsight I would have gone another route if it weren't for the price ($375 with crankset installed).

I haven't looked at pricing lately, but that seems high for a new dual sided unit compared to some existing and proven products... am I mistaken?
Quote Reply
Re: Stages finally makes a dual sided power meter [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty close in price to a Quarq and other crank based power meters depending on if you have to buy chain rings or not.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Stages finally makes a dual sided power meter [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meanwhile more and more options are being released that are proven and 1/3 of the price......... hrmm good luck?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any update on the communication issues? If it uses same signal / signal strength as their one-side offerings then this is not newsworthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also known as: The Pioneer Power Meter

Since like 2014.

But kudos to these guys for stepping up. I said when they first launched, they should absolutely have a dual leg version.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages finally makes a dual sided power meter [Exige] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exige wrote:
meanwhile more and more options are being released that are proven and 1/3 of the price......... hrmm good luck?
A dura-ace crankset by itself, no power meter, is already more than 1/3 of the price...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No thanks, SRM or bust
Quote Reply
Re: Stages finally makes a dual sided power meter [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My initial instinct was to say this is pricey at £1200, but in the uk a 9100 stages left arm is £650 and a dura ace crankset £400, so over £1k. On the face of it this is only £200 more, and seeing that they have the euro price the same as pounds, it will be a bit cheaper from European shops. (obviously until such time that a uk pound is less than a euro which seems inevitable in the near future).

I still think I'd go with the power2max ng Eco. This could he had with some nice rotor cranks for much less.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages finally makes a dual sided power meter [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pre-ordered the Shimano power meter with chainrings for $1200. If that doesn't work for me, it's back to SRM (currently using a Verve Infocrank).
Quote Reply
Re: Stages finally makes a dual sided power meter [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:
I pre-ordered the Shimano power meter with chainrings for $1200. If that doesn't work for me, it's back to SRM (currently using a Verve Infocrank).

ST,

What don't you like about the Infocrank?

Thanks,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages finally makes a dual sided power meter [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol, they made a powermeter just for ST dorks.

And Froome
Quote Reply
Re: Stages finally makes a dual sided power meter [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Sausagetail wrote:

ST,

What don't you like about the Infocrank?

I've mostly been unhappy with the shifting performance.

I had a lot of chain suck, chain drop, and general shifting problems until I found the right combination of BB spacers. The Praxis chainrings still don't seem to shift as reliably as Shimano though. SRM would give me the option to use Shimano chainrings but sometimes they don't have the correct chainline either. I figured shifting would be best with an all-Shimano powermeter.

I've also been getting dubious L/R balance numbers and some cadence readings >200 rpm. I am using it in magnet-less mode which might explain things. The zero offset also seems to be a bit unstable. If it changes more than 20 units between calibrations, you're supposed to contact support. I haven't done so yet as I haven't actually gotten any obviously incorrect power readings (other than when the batteries were really low).
Quote Reply
Re: Stages finally makes a dual sided power meter [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can always get a Quarq dfour and use shimano rings. I recently went from a Stages (due to many many dropout issues and during IMLP) to a new Quarq dfour91 and everything is great. I read the initial review from DCRainmaker of the dual sided Stages and he had dropouts on his first ride. Not a good sign.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello BryanD and All,

Interesting comparison of power meters .....

https://roadcyclinguk.com/...#oTBSEO44rbPM2WV0.97

Excerpts:

"However, the accuracy of comparing power meter data has been called into question by a recent study in which 54 different power meters were tested. The aim of the study was to see just how good modern day power meters really are, and whether they are giving us power figures that are both accurate and precise (more on that in a second)."

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Stages finally makes a dual sided power meter [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New article, fairly well written, old data.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages finally makes a dual sided power meter [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not as old as I thought

https://www.thieme-connect.de/...0.1055/s-0043-102945

They picture a P2Max NG but the data was from before that PM was released and maybe before the new Quarq was as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it still require secret sauce epoxy to mount properly?
Quote Reply