Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product
Quote | Reply
Long story short, I wanted a power meter solution I could use during races, between different race wheel set-ups, without breaking the bank, so moved from my PowerTap G3 (which I have been super happy with) to a Stages meter. I wish I would have paid more attention to all the complaints before I purchased it. It's next to worthless.

Some background, I have a tech/computer/programming-related job. I know my way around computers, tech stuff, etc. The connectivity issues with the Stages power meters are inexcusable. I have yet to complete any ride in which my Stages power meter stays connected to either my Garmin 910XT, 920XT or Edge 500 for more than 75% of the total workout. When set up in conjunction with my PowerTap G3, the numbers are so off it renders the Stages worthless.

I've ran a bunch of different tests between the different meters in combination with my different Garmin devices. Again, worthless numbers. My Edge 500 stays connected half as much as my Garmin 920XT. I've read all the tips about the Edge 500 and keeping it connected. I've done the 'Dance of the Tards' with both Garmin and Stages about how to fix the problems; with both blaming each other.

Bottom line for the consumer . . . I don't care if my Garmin device has a 4 or 8-channel ANT stream. I don't care about this or that reason, cause of interference, etc. And no, I'm not going out and dropping about $320 on a Garmin 510 hoping that it works better because of its 8-channel ANT protocol. Stages, your product does not work . . . consistently, period. Please, everybody . . . stay away from Stages. At least until they figure out a way to upgrade their product or its firmware so it stays connected.

And for everyone out there saying, "Don't know what he is talking about, my Stages meter works great." You should probably go back and take a close look at your training files. I've had this same discussion with about 5 'I'm happy' Stages customers now, and when they showed me their power files, they didn't know what they were looking at and I had to point out all the dropped sections they were unaware of.

Worthless!
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [PhxTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A buddy of mine got a stages a couple months ago, and last week he confided that he regretted getting it, solely because of the connectivity issues.

We did a bit of debugging with ANT+ dev tools, and the stages started dropping messages at a range every single other device was still working. I could have my powertap in another room and it'd still be picking up, while the stages started getting squirrely connection-wise just a couple feet away. He's tried mounting his bike computer on his top tube just to get it closer to the stages. Which was fine, until his leg knocked it off. After several months of effort, I think the best approach he's got is wearing his watch on his left wrist, which doesn't totally fix it, but is better than the zero-connection he gets on his right wrist.

One thing I saw for a different product was to see if the battery was tightened down - the theory was that the powermeter was actually transmitting strongly, but was actually turning itself on/off rapidly because the battery wasn't getting a good contact.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Jun 30, 15 11:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an edge 500 with stages and am very happy with it. I don't see drop outs when I look at the power files in golden cheetah.

Sorry your experience is different, but I think stages is an excellent product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Stages and 2 Quarqs. I don't see your issues with the Stages. I just don't see dropouts. And, yes, I know what I'm talking about - I've manually imported the data into Matlab.

The most serious problem I've seen is that it occasionally screws up cadence, which in turn screws up its power estimate. Particularly at very low cadence (track start).

And, of course, I could be having the whole L/R issue, but that's more difficult to identify just looking at Stages data by itself.

This isn't say you and your 5 guys aren't having the problem. Just that I'm not.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 30, 15 11:51
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail, curious? What device, or devices, are you using to collect the data? Garmin? Which ones?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quarqs are going so cheap nowadays that stages is just a waste of money...

btw: I am seeling a quarq :D

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PhxTri wrote:
trail, curious? What device, or devices, are you using to collect the data? Garmin? Which ones?

I've used both a Garmin Edge 500 and the Garmin ANT+ USB dongle.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 30, 15 12:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You seem to have a bad history with more than just Stages based on another similar thread. I've personally had no issues with my Stages when using my Joule. Garmin comp is another story...which is why I don't use the 2 together. Problem solved.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
quarqs are going so cheap nowadays that stages is just a waste of money...

Except on bikes where you can't (easily) install a Quarq! I use the Stages for track. Which Quarq doesn't make a track PM, the track SRM is stupid expensive, the track PowerTap is expensive and I have 3 track wheelsets.....so I went Stages. And I don't want to use Look-style pedals. It's OK. Does what I want it to do, mostly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
The most serious problem I've seen is that it occasionally screws up cadence, which in turn screws up its power estimate. Particularly at very low cadence (track start).
It used to be even worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, unlike most I don't post to this forum to tell everyone how f*cking awesome I am, how cool my bike looks or how I crushed a race/workout. I post when I have an issue with something I spend several hundred to several thousand dollars for, to see if anyone found a work-around for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PhxTri wrote:
Yes, unlike most I don't post to this forum to tell everyone how f*cking awesome I am, how cool my bike looks or how I crushed a race/workout.

Of course you don't, those things are all within the forum rules. I kind of view your post like drafting, I'm not really sure if you are ignoring the rules, or just don't know what they are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I missed something in the OP, but you literally asked for no advice, just openly bashed a product that isn't working to your liking. I gave you my 2 cents and how I made it work for me. Stages works perfectly fine for what I need. I don't see the need to be so hostile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't Stages state that dropouts are a likely problem when pairing with a Garmin 500 or a 910? I have a Stages - I experienced dropouts with a 500 and 910 but do not* with a 510. I'm no Stages fan boy...but it seems to work as advertised now, although I'm pretty sure the Garmin 500 pairing issues were not initially communicated. Given that, isn't it not worthless but instead simply limited?

*I don't see dropouts, but I may be one of those you say doesn't know what they are looking at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for no issues with my stages and edge 500. Never have any dropouts in the data or challenges connecting to the power meter. Came from a powertap (over 5yrs) and have been very happy with the quality of the data.

Another bonus is the easiest firmware update of any product I've ever used. Connect to the iPhone and hit a button to update. So simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
+1 for no issues with my stages and edge 500. Never have any dropouts in the data or challenges connecting to the power meter.

Same here. I'm well aware of the limitations of the one-legged PM (to be addressed if/when I buy another PM), but have never had dropouts with the Edge 500. I thought issues were more prevalent with the 910, but could be wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for your troubles. I have 8k miles on my stages and have only had dropouts when I was having a battery door issue. Stages replaced the door and all is good. I'm using a Garmin 500 and usb stick(indoors) to capture data. I would try to blame it on too many ANT+ devices but I have recorded on my Garmin 500 with Speed/cadence, HR, and stages at the same time with no issues. Comparing my power data to my other power device (kickr) they are comparable. Kickr runs a little higher watts but that is a known kickr issue and is withing 3% so within the margin of error for 2 devices in my opinion.

Maybe you just got a bad unit (garmin or stages). Are either companies willing to exchange to see if the problem is better?

Are you having the problems indoors/outdoors or both?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have drop out issues with my stages. My issues are with it just eating batteries! I can't get anywhere near the 200 hours of life and I am factoring in the times its on and I am not riding, like if I moved it around. First battery lasted a couple months and ever since it goes through a new battery in a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During my research a few months ago, your issues with connections is exactly why I bought a Quarq. Why bother with such issues when a new Quarq was so much better and not that much more money.

Quote | Reply
Sorry for the threadjack, but I've had this issue as well with Stages. First battery lasted ~100 hours, next one 75. Nowhere near the advertised 200.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meters - A Worthless Product [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an early Stages adopter who has not had any issues with drops (using a Garmin 510), I did have the pod shear off my first unit. They sent me a replacement overnight and I have been problem-free since.

If I were buying a power meter today, it would be the Quarq Riken AL.

I thought I would swap the Stages between road/tt/commuter bike all the time, but I just don't.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No drops out using the bluetooth signal on the Polar V800.

That being said I had the same problems when I tried it with the 920xt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you one of the Zwift riders supposedly hailing from Thailand, and riding an entire lap at 15w/kg+? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a grip.. Garmin fixed this ages ago.. mount the garmin at the BB... its fine...

Drama queen

;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if they sell them anymore but way back when I bought a square taper bottom bracket road SRM to use on my track bike instead of buying a stupid expensive track SRM.
Quote Reply

Prev Next